It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where Is ‘Open Carry’ Legal? | The Wallstreet Journal providing inaccurate information?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I read over the "facts", Looked over the map, and most importantly, read the 200+ comments concerning the column. I have some ideas about this strange, bold move of this press. I will reserve my thoughts until I read yours. I would like to see if anyone else is thinking the same thing.

so..... thoughts?

-MODERATORS- I was not sure exactly where to put this thread, kind of a toss up between here and weaponry. Feel free to move to correct location.

Wall Street Journal - Where is 'Open Carry' Legal?

Thanks!

EDIT trying to fix the link.... blogs.wsj.com... try that?
edit on 23-8-2014 by I1Am1Ready1Are1You because: tring to fix link.

edit on 23-8-2014 by Kandinsky because: Fixed link, added thumbnail

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I am part of a group called "Open Carry Texas" and there is nothing strange about the media covering the story. Texans want to be the most "free" second amendment state, and that is why it is our group that has caused the controversy. Other groups took it farther than OCT, but for the most part it is a story that needs to be told and debated.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
What i'm seeing in the article is a lot of misinformation.
A search of the different state gun laws will prove that.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: robwerden

did you really look over the link before you incorrectly assumed that this forum has anything to do with gun rights?

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
New Hampshire requires a CCW to carry concieled (but it's a joke, 3 reference, no felonys/orders of protection against you, and $10 and you get it in no more then 2 weeks). They don't, however, require anything but you be 18+ to open carry.
Live Free or Die.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
The only time open carry is truly permitted is if you're a cop, politician or SS body guards/soldiers. As for citizens? A glove of red tape.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Everybody made a fuss about the gun laws passed in Colorado (a senator was even recalled) yet pretty much anybody can open carry no permit required. Hell I see at least 3 pistols on hips every time I go to the store.

18 for a shotgun/rifle.

21 for a handgun from a store. Pretty sure the gun show loophole still exists so really 18 for a handgun if you know what you are doing.

Minimal background check....The whole fuss about gun control really is a joke outside of New York and California. Outside of those states they will never come for our guns...

But I am sure the manufactures are loving the increase in sales over recent years.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Carrying a firearm in a concealed manner is legal in all states

Depends on what 'carry' is defined as, IMO.

In Texas, concealed in a motor vehicle is true. Concealed on person in public requires a CHL.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

“Concealed carry—you don’t know who’s doing it and it doesn’t cause as much concern as open carry,” said Laura Cutilletta

I would rather be able to see a firearm so I know that person has one. At least I have time to think about it instead of a surprise.

IMO, much of anti hand gun carry came about because of easily concealed hand guns and robberies using them.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Just get the permit, conceal it and go about your day. Quit worrying about seeing it. There are so many in possession while we are out doing our business...that we'd be stunned to know how many are right next to us in line someplace. All places..

PS I Saw the article today as well....and think its misleading about places ALLOWED and the right as an American to bear arms. That would be EVERY STATE in America.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Quit worrying about seeing it.

Your opinion. I would rather see people carrying and it be illegal to be concealed. Chances are the criminals are concealed.

Either way, a person depends on the other persons being law abiding citizens, not criminals.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

Quit worrying about seeing it.

Your opinion. I would rather see people carrying and it be illegal to be concealed. Chances are the criminals are concealed.

Either way, a person depends on the other persons being law abiding citizens, not criminals.

So, in your view making it illegal to carry concealed = criminals would therefore not carry concealed? The mental gymnastics are boggling.

Criminals don't care what the law says; that's why they're - wait for it - criminals. Making concealed carry illegal would turn every law-abiding concealed carry citizen a criminal, but it wouldn't change the status of real criminals one bit, nor would it stop them from carrying concealed.

The majority of handgun owners have no problem with open carry, but they do believe it sends a message to any criminal contemplating an armed robbery, to wit: "Shoot me first." IOW, while it may be your right to OC, it's stupid because you make yourself a prime target.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I did say this.

I know criminals don't follow he law. My state doesn't allow open carry but I would rather it did.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   

"Shoot me first." IOW, while it may be your right to OC, it's stupid because you make yourself a prime target.

It might also show the person is out gunned and maybe decide it's not a good idea. Gun stores have a good record of not being robbed.

The people that make the laws don't seem to be strong on logic anyway.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Neither do some people who don't make the laws.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I personally prefer when licensed persons conceal carry.

It's much funnier when someone tries something stupid and the next thing they know they're surrounded by several armed civilians....the look on the failed criminal face and their inevitable soiled drawers make for much better reaction videos.

Surprise, you're on candid camera.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
What percent of criminals, would people here guess, think about concealed carry before a crime. I am thinking of this from the direction of a deterrent. Some criminals might only think about what they see.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: EyesOpenMouthShut
What i'm seeing in the article is a lot of misinformation.
A search of the different state gun laws will prove that.

Getting warmer

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: I1Am1Ready1Are1You

what are you hinting at the media deliberately misinforming people in order to cause a 2nd Amendment issue to throw into the light?
I wouldn't doubt it

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

A very good point....but in some of the neighborhoods I've lived in, open carry would not be considered a deterrent, but instead an "invitation to join in on The Game". Look. They've all got guns, therefore we all need guns.

It boils down to a matter of visual cues and subsequent imitation for a lot of the disenfranchised and disaffected.

Idle minds = Devils Playground.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join