It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need help setting my RAM configuration.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I have an asrock z77 extreme4 with an i7-2600k and I recently upgraded from 16GB to 32gb of Ram from both made by G.skill the new ones are called Aeros I believe, anyway the new ones are F3-2133C11Q-32GAR. I can get my computer to boot into windows when I set it at 1866 but when I set it to 2133 it will not boot it tries 3 times then I go back to the UEFI settings where I can set it at 1866 again which is where I am at now.

I tried messing with some of the voltages just a little thinking that may be it but I didn't even push them close to the higher end recommendations. Nothing helped so I figured I ask the forum for some advice.

BTW anyone know how to recover a ssd drive? I just recently installed windows on another drive because the one I had hooked up was no longer readable. I had got the blue screen of death coming out of sleep mode and tried to restart using power now in UEFI it is recognized but will not boot. Anyway if there is a way to wipe it and use it as storage that wold be great otherwise its just an expensive paperweight luckily I back up everything to HDDs so I didn't lose much of anything.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

I have the same problems with i7-2600k/Gigabyte GA-z77x-ud3h and G.skill F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM. I could get them more stable, but still haven`t got them 100% stable at 2133 Mhz (Sandy bridge memory controller doens`t go higher, no need to go beyond that). Those modules are really pesky, but you need to up the voltage of the memory controller inside the CPU also (VTT), it has to be at least at 1.100v (recommended by G.Skill techs) , and may go as high as 1.200v. I only had them on 1.1140v, but still not stable with given timings. It will cause your CPU temps to go up somewhat, be aware of that.

Use DOS to wipe hard drive :

www.ehow.com...

edit on 23-8-2014 by BornAgainAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 02:55 AM
link   
whats the wattage on your power supply?

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   

I think you got yourself substandard ram chips there

Who made them, what warranty did you get, are they damaged, did friend give them to you.

Are they made not to function on higher setting and then sold under false label

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Aren't you essentially over-clocking your RAM?

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I'd first give memtest a go. Let it run for a day, just do two sticks at a time as well.

If that all works, you might have to try manually setting the times cas read write etc, which are recommended from the website.

Once computers get up the 1000+MHz timing, things get wonky. Some computers just get lucky running fast bus speeds than others. Be prepared to fiddle!

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Your motherboard does support the overclocked memory. But, the memory does say this:

To reach rated memory speed, enabling Intel XMP profile or manual BIOS tuning is required.

When manually setting up those memory sticks in BIOS, make sure it's set to these settings:

Cas Latency: 11

Timing: 11-13-13-31

Voltage: 1.5V

If your BIOS isn't set up exactly, it won't reach those speeds. Also, you're not going to notice a difference in speed between 1866 and 2133.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: BornAgainAlien

OK so I am going to have to up the voltage. Currently my DRAM voltage is at 1.515V and VTT voltage is at 1.141V so which one do you think is lacking the most. As far as temps I am water cooling the CPU but I already have the hardware just haven't installed for cooling the RAM.

I will look at the e-how and see if I can do the wipe thanks.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: fixitwcw

800w

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: TimeAfterTime

I think you got yourself substandard ram chips there

Who made them, what warranty did you get, are they damaged, did friend give them to you.

Are they made not to function on higher setting and then sold under false label

I bought them off of NEWEGG as brand new they are made by GSKILL Ares addition they have lifetime warrantee and I have receipt.

I had the same problem with my older 16G of G-Skill Ripjaws where they would work at 2133 but not at 2400 rating.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlowNail
Aren't you essentially over-clocking your RAM?

I don't think you can call it overclocking if you are just getting it to the advertised speed.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

I will let memtest run overnight thanks.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_

It does have the XMP profile and it is set to 11-13-13-31 at 1.5V I am not sure about any other manual tuning. I know I will not see any major differences between 1866 and 2133 however I did see a pretty big difference in price between the two when I was ordering them almost $100 difference so there is a bit of principle to me of getting what I payed for.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

BTW anyone know how to recover a ssd drive?

Use "Recuva" to recover files... I have used it a few times for SD cards, HD's, and SSHD's. I heard rumors that it can be DL'ed free from torrent sites.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   

OK so I am going to have to up the voltage. Currently my DRAM voltage is at 1.515V and VTT voltage is at 1.141V so which one do you think is lacking the most. As far as temps I am water cooling the CPU but I already have the hardware just haven't installed for cooling the RAM.

I will look at the e-how and see if I can do the wipe thanks.

You need to fiddle around yourself. I got normal use stable, but with gaming not so (still have to look at it someday). My advice is to open a thread at www.gskill.us... if you can`t get it stable yourself. Try also to look over there about what to do with your mobo and G.Skill memory combo.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Yeah I opened an account already over at G SKILL but I am still waiting for admin to activate my account. It may be its there day off. lol Yeah I messaged them already.

Well once I can post over there I will ask my questions.

My old SSD seems to toast though. To many crashes I think from trying to get stable overclocks. I still have tons of room to push the clock speeds as far as temp my water cool setup is a beast as it is but I plan on adding some more rads when I upgrade my GPU at that point I will install the mem cooling block as well. At this point I just want to get the memory running at advertised speed.

Thanks for the help.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   

I always use HD Tune Pro 3.50 to check if HD is still ok (error scan):

www.techpowerup.com...

Can be useful with all your HD/SSD to check them out from time to time.

edit on 23-8-2014 by BornAgainAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   

I don't think you can call it overclocking if you are just getting it to the advertised speed.

It is absolutely overclocking. These are the RAM speeds your motherboard supports:

DDR3: 2800+ (OC)
DDR3: 2400 (OC)
DDR3: 2133 (OC)
DDR3: 1866 (OC)
DDR3: 1600
DDR3: 1333
DDR3: 1066

Obviously, everything above DDR3 1600 is overclocking. That's what the "(OC)" stands for in the specs for your motherboard. You're essentially overclocking the memory controller on the motherboard to reach to speed of the memory.

edit on 24-8-2014 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   

OK well the damn thing is strange to me because the 4 gig sticks I had before from same manufacturer would work with the XMP settings at 2133 no problem staying at 1.5 volts yet they were rated at 2400 which I couldn't get to work. Same problem I am having with these. They work just fine one step below what they are rated for.

I am going to try to reboot at 1.65 volt in a minute but I am still awaiting G skill website admin to activate my account so I can post there.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   

I was just reading a forum and thought this was interesting posted by GSKILL

Many people swear up and down that the software identifies the actual chips as being of a certain speed (most common 1066, 1333 and 1600) and identifies the sticks by the actual chips, and go on to say that if they are sold as 2133 they are really only 1333 or 1600 and have been OCed. NOT TRUE!, what shows up in the Max Bandwidth, comes from the SPD on the sticks and is the default boot designation for the sticks, that is the section of the SPD the BIOS looks at and tries to correspond to upon initial boot up or after a BIOS/CMOS rest. It has nothing to do with the actual chips used. If not for this area of the SPD, higher freq sticks wouldn?t be able to boot up by themselves, i.e. no mobo has a default of 1866, 2133, 2200, 2400, 2600, so if not for these default SPD settings you couldn?t ever get into the BIOS.
GSKILL

Anyway I still haven't been able to get GSKILL forum to activate my account yet even though I have PMed several administrators.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join