It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hospital network hacked, 4.5 million records stolen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
From CNN

money.cnn.com...

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) Community Health Systems, which operates 206 hospitals across the United States, announced on Monday that hackers recently broke into its computers and stole data on 4.5 million patients. Hackers have gained access to their names, Social Security numbers, physical addresses, birthdays and telephone numbers. Anyone who received treatment from a physician's office tied to a network-owned hospital in the last five years -- or was merely referred there by an outside doctor -- is affected.

I've been howling about this stuff since spring.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
From my thread called "You're the Next Victim of the Cyber Wars"

the United States has a total population of 317 million. So, if we just consider the 110 million admitted by Target, we have over one third of the U.S. population. How many of that 317 million have a credit/debit card? Think about that one for a minute. People under 20 years of age made up over a quarter of the U.S. population (27.3%) close to 86 million. This brings down the figure down to close to 231 million possible card holders. The Target scam netted close to half of that. Now add in all the other millions involved in the other hacks, we are all deeply screwed.

Here is some info on the other thread, "Russian Gang Amasses Over a Billion Internet Passwords"

A Russian crime ring has amassed the largest known collection of stolen Internet credentials, including 1.2 billion username and password combinations and more than 500 million email addresses, security researchers say.

I guess we can add 4.5 million to that now.

I expect these hacks to be the final straw in our economy.
edit on 20-8-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: typos

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

I guess it's time to go on that spending spree I've so wanted to do lately!

Seriously this really sucks, I just fixed my credit after my first marriage husband a-hole screwed it up and I was hospitalized last year for a week. Can't win no matter how careful you are these days. . .
edit on 8/20/2014 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
My point in most of these posts is that Russia, China, and a number of other countries are trying to undermine our economy by developing these hacks and releasing them to the criminals who then sell the information on the black market.

Here's another quote from my other thread.

There seems to be something bigger to this, I suspect that darkpos may have been developed and distributed to the criminal networks by a foreign country that may introduce more hacks to weaken the U.S. financially. The damage gets done and so many scammers are involved that it would not likely point back at the real perps. Blackpos is said to have originated in Russia or specifically the Ukraine. Seems like things have been heating up with Russia and the Ukraine lately hasn't it?

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   
" Hospital network hacked, 4.5 million records stolen "

And the ACA Obama.Care is mandating full database "access to".

Sounds more like a classic Mafia infiltration racket.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
To close to home, nearly , made the list of stolen hospital data. It at least missed me by years instead of what I thought missed me by present day locally. Surely some family and friends are caught up in it.

Now what for those affected? Apparently sources say there's not much one can do besides take the offered free identity theft coverage offered by the company. That is besides the company taking better security measures to prevent it or similar from happening again. Going to just have to keep updated, monitor your accounts. One source says they didn't obtain cc# info. Well, at least, but names, SS#s, etc, is enough to compromise many I am sure.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
To close to home, nearly , made the list of stolen hospital data. It at least missed me by years instead of what I thought missed me by present day locally. Surely some family and friends are caught up in it.

Now what for those affected? Apparently sources say there's not much one can do besides take the offered free identity theft coverage offered by the company. That is besides the company taking better security measures to prevent it or similar from happening again. Going to just have to keep updated, monitor your accounts. One source says they didn't obtain cc# info. Well, at least, but names, SS#s, etc, is enough to compromise many I am sure.

I think that the Russian black market has all of our information already and these new hacks are just refreshing their data. The cat is out of the bag and they are just closing the barn doors after the cows got out with their offer of ID theft protection and their "better" security measures.

ETA: It is hard and costly to get your Identity and SS# changed. That is what would need to be done in an extreme case of ID theft. But what difference does that make when your new info is back in the system. The system is broken right now, as I type this. This electronic ID "straw man" is sure to die after all the beatings he is taking.
edit on 21-8-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: added last comments

new topics

top topics

join