It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humans Did Not Wipe Out the Neanderthals, New Research Suggests

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Neanderthals went extinct in Europe about 40,000 years ago, giving them millennia to coexist with modern humans culturally and sexually, new findings suggest.

This research also suggests that modern humans did not cause Neanderthals to rapidly go extinct, as some researchers have previously suggested, scientists added.

I find this very interesting ,it was alway that they imbedded with humans. Not so much the case.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I'm confused. Are the ancient megaliths built by modern human or Neanderthal?

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish

The evidence points to HSS. Although in recent years an 'art' side of Neanderthal has been established.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: nighthawk1954

I find this very interesting ,it was alway that they imbedded with humans. Not so much the case.

Actually, the article supports long standing thought that HSS "absorbed" Neanderthal by breeding with them. Add that to sites where there is evidence of cohabitation between HNS and HSS as well as the fact that people of European descent have a nominal portion of their DNA attributed to Neanderthal and its pretty cut and dry, at least in my opinion. A interesting side note, while the estimates when comparing the entire genome of each species is 1-2% give or take a little, certain portions of the DNA of Eurasians can be quite high. For example, the part of up genome that codes for hair type and color as well as skin pigmentation can be as much as 70% Neanderthal.

Neanderthals may not even have truly disappeared, but instead have been assimilated into modern human populations. "We know, of course, that we have a genetic legacy from Neanderthals of about 1 to 2 percent, so there was interbreeding," Higham said.
www.livescience.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
yes...HS 'absorbed' Neanderthal DNA; that a good way to put it...all the Y chromosome is Neanderthal. the X...HS.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I don't think we'll ever have a definitive answer to how Neanderthals became extinct because it was probably a mix of a lot of circumstances that led to their demise.

My personal 2 favourites would be:

A changing climate.
Disease.

As a comparison I'll use the Aztec empire, they fizzled out not by Cortez but a combination of problems. Crops were failing and the population was hitting critical mass. The Spanish brought diseases that were never encountered before and totally devastating and then they had the problem of cultural differences with the white man which ultimately led to their demise.

Neanderthals most likely just had a long drawn out string of bad luck. It's not impossible to think that in the space of a few centuries or millenniums they suffered a loss of habitable lands and encountered diseases that were devastating, possibly spread by Homo Sapiens.

Is there any evidence they were nomadic?

Running out of breeding partners could be a problem if your not willing to travel to breed, cultural practices concerning who you can breed with could have played a role in that too.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Arent' they where Asperger's comes from?

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
old story....neanthertalers where wiped out couse an eruption of the campy flegrei volcano in italy...
ash of that eruption was found in the caves they lived in...in norway
edit on 20-8-2014 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: peter vlar

originally posted by: nighthawk1954

Actually, the article supports long standing thought that HSS "absorbed" Neanderthal by breeding with them. Add that to sites where there is evidence of cohabitation between HNS and HSS as well as the fact that people of European descent have a nominal portion of their DNA attributed to Neanderthal and its pretty cut and dry, at least in my opinion. A interesting side note, while the estimates when comparing the entire genome of each species is 1-2% give or take a little, certain portions of the DNA of Eurasians can be quite high. For example, the part of up genome that codes for hair type and color as well as skin pigmentation can be as much as 70% Neanderthal.

Neanderthals may not even have truly disappeared, but instead have been assimilated into modern human populations. "We know, of course, that we have a genetic legacy from Neanderthals of about 1 to 2 percent, so there was interbreeding," Higham said.
www.livescience.com...

Well said. To add to it, further research concluded that the red hair gene in humans does differ from Neanderthal man.
edit on 20-8-2014 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hanslune

originally posted by: Iamthatbish

The evidence points to HSS. Although in recent years an 'art' side of Neanderthal has been established.

This is easily the most profound statement I have seen you make, Hans.

Quite titillating to think about what the strength of a neanderthal could accomplish.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I like to fantasise a Neanderthal empire before we started exploring the planet and then we absorbed the HN species and their civilisation, would make for a great story or film upon a day. But you're right I almost fell off my chair when I read hans post then aha

But in all seriousness I think we more than likely did absorb the Neanderthals into the HS populace, and perhaps also killed alot of them, I'm sure I read on here that our domestication of dogs and making the bow and arrow had a major role in us 'defeating' them so perhaps both happened

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
You can Not even think about the truth!
that early man had sex with animal!
and made new man...

and you think I am a freak/ mad.
but you will not let your self belive.

maybe Dogs and big cats?

you dont realy belive that we just evoled all on his one himan line?
over 100,000 of years some would have work't.
why dont we see them to day?
becouse doctores make them die!
and most dont live.

all the old inbetweens go kill'd as freaks.
look at all the mithical animals?

top topics

join