It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Musharraf Says Bin Laden Trail Has Gone Cold

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Pakistani President, General Pervez Musharraf has said that his security forces have no idea where the World's most wanted man is. Pakistan has taken the lead in hunting down Al Qaida's top leadership since President Bush has ceded the job to them. Interestingly, in the interview he also denied reports that Pakistani military has with drawn from south Waziristan. This statement contradicts previous reports, and his own statements.

www.reuters.com
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The search for al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden has gone cold and there is no indication of his whereabouts, Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf told the Washington Post in an interview published on Sunday.

Musharraf said Pakistani forces were still aggressively pursuing bin Laden but that recent security operations and interrogation had determined only that he was still alive.

"He is alive, but more than that, where he is, no, it'll be just a guess and it won't have much basis," Musharraf was quoted as saying in the interview.

Pressed about whether bin Laden's trail had gone cold, Musharraf told the Post: "Yes, if you mean we don't know, from that point of view, we don't know where he is."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Recently President Bush appaulaued Pakistani's lack luster performance in hunting down the Al Qaida leadership. Now Pakistan it's self has even admitted that they have no idea where bin Laden is.

Evidence seems to be mounting that Pakistan is an unwilling partner in the search for Al Qaida. President Musharraf seems to be having a difficult time balancing the pressure from Washington, and the opinion's of his own people.

Related News Links:
www.msnbc.msn.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
WAR: Bush Mum on Pakistans Bin Laden Efforts
NEWS: Musharraf discusses F-16 fighter jet deal with Bush

[edit on 12/5/2004 by phreak_of_nature]

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Well, I agree that Pakistan never had to find bin-ladden at hart, it was all a show to keep the US in their good side after all that happened during and after 9/11, is easy to forget that they did harbor AL-queda in their borders after all who knows, they still do.

[edit on 5-12-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I think the hideout of OBL must satisfie a few criteria to elude capture:

- out of direct or indirect (pakistan) influence of the USA
- an inner circle of true believers in the extremist muslim cause, in order not to get sold out for a reward.

......try Cheznya for example, the usa can't look there, because the russians wouldn't like usa involvement overthere, the russians would capture OBL also if they have the change, but other than the big cities, the russians do not really control Cheznya , there is plenty room for hideouts and extremist muslimrebels that would grand OBL hospitallity ?????

Syria, while syrian middlemen continously pop up in international terrorist plots, i don't believe they would like to harbour OBL inside their borders, to avoid pretext for an american invasion.

Iran, would be a good one, exactly because it's highly unlikely
OBL is known to be proud and never allowed sjji'ite fighter to join the Mujahedin during the war in Afghanistan ("They are not real muslims" he said) , likewise I would expect him to decline an unlikely invitation of Teheran, also Iran is not exactly waiting for invasion pretext, not with their precious "peacefull" nuclear program nearing completion.

[edit on 5-12-2004 by Countermeasures]

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I have also heard reports that he was in China. I would assume if he's there he made it through Kashmir. Then again, I wouldn't rule out Kashmir as being his hiding place.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Yup that would be a good one, also a place not under full control of the big powers and with a good deal of muslim rebels. India would never accept the pakistani nor the americans to come look for him overthere, but also India does not fully control Kashmir, albeit more than the russians control Cheznya.

[edit on 5-12-2004 by Countermeasures]

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Shi'ite's not being real Muslim's is somewhat mute. OBL is the most hunted man on the face of this planet. As such, where else would one hide, knowing that it is the least likely for him to be found, especially since any force that is looking for him would not be allowed entry....where terrorism is sanctioned and utilized....best bets are OBL is in the Iran border areas. Best bets are that he will remian on the move and in hiding, location "unknown," continually praying to Allah that he not make one mistake and his whereabouts become known.

seekerof

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Not to be a spoil sport but I though Bin Laden was in custody ready to be trotted out ensuring Bush's re-election, I remember untold numbers of people telling me this was what was to happen, what happened?, he escape or something?.

If Eric R. Rudolph could hide for years in a U.S. forest then I suppose Osama can easily hide in the much more remote regions of Waziristan (sp).

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix
Bin Laden was in custody ready to be trotted out ensuring Bush's re-election, I remember untold numbers of people telling me this was what was to happen, what happened?, he escape or something?.

I'm sooooooooooooo glad you brought that up! I laughed when
people said that before the election, and I'm laughing now that the
election is over and it (OF COURSE) didn't happen

I thought UBL was dead. But that tape he did shows he was
recently alive. I'm looking forward to the day he is brought
to justice .. either in this life, or the next. He may escape
justice here on earth, but he can't escape God.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Much of the discussion on this thread assumes that there is a real, rather than merely propaganda, effort to capture Bin Laden. My guess is that he knows too much and could embarass many people were he allowed to talk.

He may escape justice here on earth, but he can't escape God.

That applies equally to certain highly positioned individuals in certain non-Islamic nations.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   
It certainly makes a mockery of all those pre election "we're closing in on Osama" "we'll have him in a week or two" "he's right round the corner!" reports anyway.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Who ever said that they had to capture him "alive"?
Could they not claim it as a victory of bin Laden was just flat out killed? Then you can say... "We got him", but not have to worry about what to do with him, or what he might say.

I've got to believe that they don't want him captured alive. That would just cause more questions then solutions.

new topics

top topics

join