It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some wood carvings

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
yea thats right. i made 6 of them in all. this is one of the bottom two. i blocked them to make the bottoms of them a little bulkier.

haha i had to come to terms with sanding a long time ago. it's gotten to the point that i sometimes get nostalgic when i get into my sanding "trance".
it's almost meditative... if it didn't start to hurt so bad.

lathes are nearly terrifying. that moment right before you go to turn on the switch after you secure your rough piece between the centers. it's like standing too close to the edge of a cliff. your mind lets you know that you are about to do something very dangerous. then you have to stick a sharp piece of metal into a spinning block. it is really counter intuitive. luckily i am very careful and have never hurt myself with any power tools. ive had some really close calls though.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Those look great. i am familiar with the game but i haven't played. i like working with pine. it's soft enough to work quickly but strong enough you can still put some fine detail in it. i'm really impressed that you did these in a week. i can tell that there are many hours in each one.

a reply to: Biigs

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   
dbl post
edit on 19-8-2014 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

thanks, they actually took about 2 hours each.

I strained my hand making them and i now have RSI which was bad, too much too soon.

I plan to do a few more when the hand is better, not bad for a first attempt though i think

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I should mention a good knife makes all the difference.

I use a morakniv carbon steel blade with a plasti/rubber handle

An exceptional blade, i had doubts about the plastic handle but its very very good
edit on b47471051 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Amazing! I've done some crazy stuff in wood as well and didn't even know about the member's art here at ATS, thanks for sharing this! Beautiful...

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 06:19 AM
link   

theres a bunch of random pre cut shots

edit on b2424617 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

edit on b1919742 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

edit on b2222732 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

edit on b2323730 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

edit on b2424755 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Most impressive! You have quite a talent there! Thank you for sharing with us!!!!

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
carving is fun more people should try it

its almost weird i never did it before, its easy.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Nice work, as a hardwood floor guy and a carpenter, I have a bias toward nice woodworking

Those shells are awesome in particular.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Great work there woodcarver! I used to do a lot of wood carving myself, along with antique restoration and cabinetmaking. Also tried my hat at luthiery for a while and sold a few guitars in the $5000 range. That was back in the '80s and '90s mostly, but I got tired of trying to earn a living from all that and went to engineering school so I could get a 'steady job'... kind of sold out, yeah. Traded money for living really. Keep at it man!
edit on 8/20/2014 by wtbengineer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I want the spoon!.
Lovely work.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I actually went the other way. I started with a straight job and then went on my own. a reply to: wtbengineer

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Nice, maybe I can do that one day...

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   

absolutely lovely work....I Am a big fan of wood carving...and you have quite a lot of talent!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 26 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

It's rare I see woodwork that stops me in my tracks. I've worked with some of the best and learned much.

You just stopped me in my tracks, I can think of no greater compliment to pay you.

Awesome stuff

Cody

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I'm an amateur carpenter and artist and all I can say is WOW. The difficulty and time involved in the process of creating these pieces must have kept you busy. I'm impressed. how do I get a 4 piece bowl and spoon set? I love hand crafted art from other current artists.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Hey celt, thanks. I forgot about this thread.
I'm covered up with work right now. Maybe i'll get back to doing more custom work in the future though.

a reply to: celtmason26

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Here are some bowls i made this winter.

posted on Feb, 12 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Wow never saw this thread, your stuff is amazing!!

seriously cool.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join