It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Toyota Introduces Mobility Enhancement Suits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Toyota of Japan is introducing a system to help mobility impaired individuals function in everyday capacities. Toyota calls these systems robots, but they are really wearable suits controlled by an individual. They are proposing to manufacture two models. One is a four wheeled model that has high and low speed capabilty. The user actually sits in the "robot" like sitting in a chair. In the low speed mode, the wheels are retracted or slid closer together reducing the wheel base. This would allow for increased manuverabilty in close quaters. The wheelbase stretches for high speed travel. The walking model uses a bipod, two leg and feet, for mobilty over objects such as steps and stairs. This model woud have many implications over wide sector of industry.

slashdot.org
Toyota has created a walker robot that the driver sits in and controls. It's meant for handicapped people to get around with, but you can easily see the potential for this technology to become the basis for a real-world version of an AT-ST Scout Walker or mobile suit Gundam -- just add guns!"

Please click here for some interesting pics
www.gizmodo.com...

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

These are serious looking machines that could have a real impact help disabled person. Let me add, however, I'm not disabled and I want one. These things look absolutely cool. I wouldn't be supprised to this tecnology incorporated into military technology.

Related News Links:
www.toyota.co.jp
www.gizmodo.com

[edit on 5-12-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I wanted to add a couple of more pics here so you guys wouldn't have to click the links.

LL1

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Thank you for the info...
Someone/s will receive these for Christmas.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I don't really see these as practical. There just too big for indoors movement, that and try taking one of these out for a spin on a city sidewalk. I don't see these having much military application since there probably easy to break with a short burst of fire from an assult rifle.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 06:55 PM
link   
These do look interesting. I am sure there is a market, and if they are sucessfull, I do see new uses for them. Military and industral, do you all rember the fork lift in Aliens?

new topics

top topics

join