It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antichamber - A Different Game

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Searched the forum, but I've not seen anything on this game (unless it's a really old thread).

Antichamber is a different kind of game, in that it's puzzle solving in a unique environment. The graphics look hand drawn, are quite colorful in many areas, and the ambient background sounds are mostly very soothing (rain storms, frogs and crickets, birds singing).

As you progress through the game, you find signs that have a lot of really good sayings and good thoughts to live by.

Nothing very funny or scary in this game. It's more of a relaxing game, designed to get you to think. So if you're bored or need a break from FPS games, RPG or MMOs and just want to try something different, this might be it for you.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Yes, you should try Slender, Limbo, Outlast and there are a few others similar to this I can't remember.
You haven't played Limbo 'till you beat the 'Going Up' achievement!

Being a hard core gamer I'm getting more and more aggravated in how they charge the amounts they do for games of a certain caliber and length. Especially the ones that are just money dumps for all the extra content - it's destroying the industry! Soon nobody will produce games of quality if the same profits can be made for pennies.(except exclusive system games in which the systems cost/profits usually covers the developers seed money)

Just started South Park PS3(since I've run out of PS4 games) and desperately waiting for Bethesda to release another Fallout/Skyrim type game for PS4. These games, though I like them, tend to not hold my interest too long but Steam has had some good deals in the past few weeks(summer sale).

Are you strictly a PC user?

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I have already beaten this game. There are even lots of easter eggs that you have to find hidden areas or be in specific places at the right time to find. It is a good time-waster.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: AnteBellum

I've played Slender: The 8 Pages, here's a funny clip of me playing it:

I'm waiting until I have an extra 10 dollars to get Slender: The Arrival and try it out.

Outlast is on my wishlist, but I'll have to go checkout Limbo, never heard of it.

Yes, sadly, it's all too often that we shell out $60 for a game that we end up finishing in just a few days.

Some games, like Skyrim and Fallout that you mentioned, last longer because of DLCs, but also the modding community out there.

Of course only PC users can take advantage of the modding (which is free stuff), unlike console owners in most cases.

Yes, I'm mostly a PC gamer. My youngest son has a Wii and a Xbox 360 that he plays stuff on (plus his computer). I mostly stick to PCs because I can upgrade my PC, in most cases for much less than buying a new console costs.

Then of course as I said, there are tons of mods out there for games that you may have bought that end up breathing new life into a game you've gotten bored with, that I can download and install to the game.

There are also a ton of free indie games that one can download and tryout for free on a PC. Some are very amateurish, but many are actually of high quality in the way they look and play.

For example, Cry Of Fear was done quite a while ago, and you used to have to own the first Half-Life game to play it (it's a total conversion mod). But now, you can download the entire thing for free from Steam and play it:

This is part 2 of a let's play I did, you don't have to watch the whole thing of course, but if you watch the first few minutes, you'll see a jump scare that almost made me scream:

Dungeon Nightmares is a completely free indie game that you can download from GameJolt, it's high quality work, and just about the scariest game I've ever played (it can be downloaded and played on mobile devices too). Here is a couple of very short clips of it scaring my pants off!

So I stick mainly to PC games, simply because I can upgrade the PC easily, and download free games, or mods for games I bought for it.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

I might have to check this out. You always give good suggestions on games.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnteBellum

Yes, you should try Slender, Limbo, Outlast and there are a few others similar to this I can't remember.
You haven't played Limbo 'till you beat the 'Going Up' achievement!

Being a hard core gamer I'm getting more and more aggravated in how they charge the amounts they do for games of a certain caliber and length. Especially the ones that are just money dumps for all the extra content - it's destroying the industry! Soon nobody will produce games of quality if the same profits can be made for pennies.(except exclusive system games in which the systems cost/profits usually covers the developers seed money)

Just started South Park PS3(since I've run out of PS4 games) and desperately waiting for Bethesda to release another Fallout/Skyrim type game for PS4. These games, though I like them, tend to not hold my interest too long but Steam has had some good deals in the past few weeks(summer sale).

Are you strictly a PC user?

I will probably check out your suggestions too.

I agree. Why make a high quality game, that is a complete experience, that costs 20 to 50 million. When you can make a crappy game that costs 5 million. Sell it for the price of the 50 million dollar game and then rely on DLC to make even more money. Or a mobile game that costs even less. Put it out there for free and make your money off of micro transactions.

The kind of games I like to play are being made less and less. There are so many incomplete games that cost 60 dollars. Then I have to pay another 30 to get the DLC. This is on consoles of course.

PC games are the opposite. They have to keep lowering their prices to get people to buy them. Because there is so much competition now. Then budgets get cut. Then you have people on PC complain about console games. When almost all the AAA PC titles, budgets. Come directly from the console versions. The most interesting games on PC in my honest opinion, right now. Are all Kickstarter games or free games.

I loved South Park The Stick of Truth. It was a fun little RPG. Not overly complicated but the jokes made up for that. It was like playing an episode of South Park.
edit on 19-8-2014 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-8-2014 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Oooooohhh! Asif I haven't downloaded cry of fear for the last month thinking I needed hl1 you sir are a legend! Lights out, laptop on, Briing on the scares!! Oooh yes...

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixFreeman

Oooo its downloading rapid style! Reading the comments it says the setting faversholm based on stockholm, made me remember ravenholm of hl2 remember ravenholm!? Sorry getting bit excited I want hl3 now! Just got black mesa too remake of hl1 except you dont go to zen at the end very good remake tho also stand alone dont need hl2 also heard there doing opposing force and blue shift! Raaaa keep us happy till hl3!

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixFreeman

Glad I was able to point you to something you could play!

enjoy!

Knife welding zombies freak, me, out!

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   

OMD! Just stopped playing it now that is some really scary shizzle right there not many games get you like thst these days except maybe dead space, but with that cry of fear I got the feeling like when playing resident evil for the first time on ps1 again, and for FREE! Definitely one of thee best...

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhoenixFreeman

OMD! Just stopped playing it now that is some really scary shizzle right there not many games get you like thst these days except maybe dead space, but with that cry of fear I got the feeling like when playing resident evil for the first time on ps1 again, and for FREE! Definitely one of thee best...

Really glad you liked it!

There is an even scarier game, in which you can't shoot or defend yourself in anyway (you have to RUN), that is completely free, and not that bad of a download called Dungeon Nightmares.

Here's my part 1 of me and my son playing it. Below that is the link to where you can download it at (it can be played on mobile devices too):

Dungeon Nightmares game page

top topics

join