It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News: Getty Photographer Arrested In Ferguson

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Does the reporters right to take pictures wherever and whenever he wants supercede the right of the policeman`s right to life?
This isn`t a game the police are trying to restore order in a very violent and explosive situation,that reporter could be endangering not only his own life but life of the policemen,by wandering around wherever he likes.
he certainly has the right to endanger his own life but does not have the right to endanger other peoples lives.
If he doesn`t want to cooperate then he can go somewhere else and exercise his right to report the news.

you might think that you have a "right" to see up to the minute front line pictures of the rioting, but you don`t.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
Here's but a few of Scott Olson's pictures that have appeared in news outlets in the last few days:

Washington Post

The Telegraph

goodness gracious ..can't have any truth getting out now can we.........talk about the old divide and conquer coming into play...

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

Sir, my late husband was a policeman so I appreciate your compassion and concern for their safety. I often heard my husband ranting in colorful language against things the press wrote and put on air, but never, not even once, even when working in riot situations did he ever think the press was endangering his life.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   

And yet, in recent decades, reporters and photographers have been embeded with military troops in war zones, during actual LIVE FIRE events.......

So tell me now.....why were those reporters not rounded and penned up?

I mean surely their lives were in danger, being literally in the middle of a shooting war.

Let's see: "You're either part of the problem, or part of the solution"

Hmmmmm. When did the rioting and looting start?

Oh right, AFTER the police tried to disperse a peaceful candle vigil the very first night.....

Right...it was all those people with lit candles that were the problem......

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Are you effing serious man? If you believe a single word of that drivel you just posted you are either beyond brainwashed or a corrupt constitution stomping cop yourself.

Care to explain to me how a photograoher taking pictures is putting anybods life in danger??? Especially ome of the police's lives? What are you so fearful of? This is not a warzone the people have every right to now where the occupations sniper positions are. Give me a break. Photos are spreading truth not endangering lives for pete sake.

This is the wrong place for you to spread your rhetoric about safety. Be gone Redcoat.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
So does anyone know what he was arrested for?

Reporters aren't immune to the law...if they do something illegal, then they should be arrested just like everyone else.

So, does anyone know? Because if you don't, you probably shouldn't pass judgment until you know the facts.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Which thread is the proper place to look for updates on the situation tonight?? The only thing to come is martial law itself it seems....Sad that I trust our military over the police paramiltary nonetheless.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I firmly believe that this is related, at least tangentially, to the fact that the media who are defiantly leaving the press staging areas plus citizens using social media are reporting/disputing facts that reflect negatively on LEOs or the narrative they are pimping.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   

I just thank my lucky stars I'm not you....Thanks Mom

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: kruphix

Hey, people have been told to walk away or face arrest. So they leave and are arrested - so it doesn't take much to get yourself arrested. LOL!

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Anyone who supports this is un-American, in my view. Shame on you, because if you think this is how it's supposed to be done, you don't deserve your freedoms.

Video of the arrest.

"Keep movin'.....keep movin'.....keep movin'"

Bah!

"Our liberty depends on the freedom of the press, and that cannot be limited without being lost." --Thomas Jefferson

edit on 18-8-2014 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   

the freedom of press should be a safety net for both the police and the protestors...clearly one side is looking to manipulate any information coming out...how is that ok ?

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix

Reporters aren't immune to the law...if they do something illegal, then they should be arrested just like everyone else.

So, does anyone know? Because if you don't, you probably shouldn't pass judgment until you know the facts.

Suggest you read the OP again carefully.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

It seems to me that press should be exempt from the protest stipulations - they are press, not protesters. I think a media organization needs to file suit.

Also, does the State of Emergency preclude/suspend the 1st Amendment?

The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances. It was adopted on December 15, 1791, as one of the ten amendments that constitute the Bill of Rights.

en.wikipedia.org...

I guess so.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
As far as i am concerned, restricting the free movement of both, protestors and journalists, should be restricted. Indeed, this should already be adhered to, as set out in the First Amendment - which prohibits the interference of peaceful assembly, and the infringement on the freedom of the press.

Protestors should be allowed to protest anywhere, so long as they protest peacefully.

Journalists should be treated as observers, and should not be restricted in any way, during the course of their work.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix

Well they didn't shoot him on the spot, so it couldn't have been anything too serious.
edit on 2014-8-18 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Wow you are completley sucked into the vortex aren't you, no reasonable person would believe anything you said makes sense.
Cheers

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
Does the reporters right to take pictures wherever and whenever he wants supercede the right of the policeman`s right to life?
This isn`t a game the police are trying to restore order in a very violent and explosive situation,that reporter could be endangering not only his own life but life of the policemen,by wandering around wherever he likes.

And the reporter is endangering the life of policeman how? A camera takes a picture of what it sees. Apparently somebody doesn't want to be seen.

Give me a break. Put your life jacket on and swim at your own risk. Its what true journalism is all about.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I originally thought the first amendment protected a journalists access to report events, until I found this...

Access becomes an issue when journalists try to enter private or restricted areas. These are areas in which journalists’ presence might become problematic. The police are allowed to establish reasonable restrictions on access to crime and accident scenes, and to enforce the restrictions when necessary. Reasons to restrict access include preventing obstruction of a police action or investigation; maintaining safety; preserving evidence integrity, and protecting privacy.

First Ammendment Center

So I guess the police have their backs protected. It seems like they have a right to restrict access to journalists. I was very surprised to find this. So if police want to do something that's illegal, they can prevent journalists from gaining access to that particular area where they may be brutally beating or intimidating citizens. Talk about preventing the free press from reporting corrupt activities by government officials to the public.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
Here's but a few of Scott Olson's pictures that have appeared in news outlets in the last few days:

Washington Post

The Telegraph

Yea, they REALLY want to shut him up. He looks to be a pretty great photographer. Great subject matter, he knows when to click to get a good one, for sure.

In my next life I want to be a photo journalist. Until then, I'll stick with landscapes, some people shots and the occasional astrophotography shot!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join