It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

paxil withdrawl

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Never posted in this forum before but feel the need to vent.
For the third time, I'm going off paxil. Failed miserably the other 2 times.
Found a forum site called paxilprogress and it is sooo sad. most posters on there seem suicidal, and so many look like they have failed in their attempt to be free.
But the ones that have survived are inspiring.
I was on paxil for years for panic attacks ( i think 10mg).
Then my husband died.
so for 5 years I have been on 40 mg. Duh. doctor says take this you will feel better. Well, I have been in such a funk for 5 years because of it I want to come back. The side effects are killing me.
It's been almost 3 mos now I'm weaning myself off. again. my energy is through the roof. my house is clean. my barn is clean. and I am wigging out something awful.
I am determined this time, Big Pharma is not going to run my life. It is disgraceful that they can poison us with such evil chemicals. and we just sheeple like say, oh. OK.
Let me tell you, the withdrawl is something unbelievable. I've quit smoking many times and it was nothing like this.
Head zaps (shorting out like, very unpleasant) are the worst. driving along, all of a sudden I'm like.... where am I? scary.
Just venting ats. don't fall for what your doctor tells you. research first. don't be a dumbass like me.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Well, I don't know, but I've been on a variety of different things for migraine. In all ways, I've followed my neuro's directions and listened to what he told me concerning possible impacts and side-effects, and he's been spot-on. Maybe you need to find a different doc? Mine has been a life-saver because what I had before working with this guy was not something that could even be called a life.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I would just make sure you have someone you can call if you need to. Fluohexatine (aka Paxil) almost made a friends' mom kill herself. When that didn't work, she tried to kill HIM. Her own son! Be very careful, and I cannot offer you any specific medical advice-but please be sure to talk to a counselor about your feelings. As far as not knowing where you are when you end up there, I have read that is a common withdrawl side-effect of those pills.

If you go to the doctor about your symptoms, most likely they will want to give you some kind of bezodiazapene, or some other type of muscle relaxer to get off the paxil. The dangerous thing about benzos is that they are highly addictive, and the symptoms of coming of of those can even be worse than the ones you describe.

I would say to go to a good nutritionist. They could help tailor a diet that would alleviate the symptoms. Beyond that, go to the counelor. Try to stay off of pills, unless it is absolutely something that you must take to stay alive. They all have one or more side effects....including death. Best wishes to you.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Yes, anytime you are taking something that alters your brain chemistry you need to be prepared for it to also have unknown and potentially destabilizing effects on your moods. Sometimes, it evens out, and sometimes, it won't. It's best if you let everyone around you know what you are going through so they can help keep an eye on you in case you don't recognize any problems yourself.

But again, if you have a good doctor who really knows what they are doing, they ought to be going over this with you.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I applaud your determination and self motivation. I weened myself off a very similar drug but you know how different scrips can be.

However my ex-girlfriend weened herself off Paxil and I can say it took her around 3 good tries to finally kick it.

Honestly what got her through it the last time was something "hippy Dave" (Vietnam vet) dropped off in our mailbox one day. He and I had talked the night before over some beers and were discussing what the pharmaceutical industry was doing to the American people. How doctors are simply pill pushers who want nothing more than to see you dependant, drugged and mentally impaired by these very drugs.

I apologize of rambling myself...I'm am really proud of you even though we've never met. Keep up the good fight and if you believe in a God I pray they comfort you and give you the continued strength to overcome this.

Keep kickin ass!
edit on 8/18/2014 by TiedDestructor because: Apparently I can't spell today

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Serotonin Discontinuation Syndrome

I went through paxil withdrawals 3 years ago, with surprisingly great success. I did not recognize most of the symptoms, nor associate them with being related to paxil withdrawal, and so I had assumed it was just because of some kind of illness.

It's funny that I see this thread, because I am currently going through effexor withdrawals. I have read many posts online comparing the two (paxil is SSRI effexor is SNRI), and they appear to have the same withdrawal effects. I am very familiar with the brain zaps, but the major factor that is getting to me is the mood swings and manic episodes. Trashed my patio and nearly ended up in jail for the night in a manic "black out" last night. Don't remember a bloody thing and I'm not sure I want to.

I've found several people online recommending things that work for them. What worked for me for the brain zaps, was (believe it or not) benadryl. Something about the anxiolytic effects of it act to stop the brain zaps. It worked for me, but posts indicate it's a hit or miss and depends on the person. It's extremely cheap, you can usually go into any pharmacy and tell them you're having allergies (make up a story about mowing a lawn or something) and ask to buy a single generic benadryl. They're like $0.20 a pop generic.
Another thing you could do, is talk to your doctor about a 10 day prescription of Lexapro. For some reason this works for many people.

My doctor has vowed to me to never prescribe effexor again after seeing my withdrawal symptoms. I've seen it said again and again on forums. We need to start some sort of lawsuit against these companies. The FDA checks for drug efficacy, but do they check for withdrawal effects before approving these dangerous chemicals? I was reading a report on withdrawal effects of effexor that said 75% of patients monitored had homicidal ideation. 75%!!!!

I'm not even against medication. My ideaology on the subject is, if it helps take it, if it doesn't no one is forcing you to. But some of these drugs are being innocently prescribed by physicians who aren't even aware of their effects. Not through the ignorance of the physician, but through the misinformation and lack of information provided by the pharmaceutical manufacturers. I'm just in disbelief that stuff like this gets approved.

edit on 18/8/14 by SpongeBeard because: (no reason given)

edit on 18/8/14 by SpongeBeard because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: SpongeBeard

Great points! Why is it that the FDA doesn't make big-pharma work on the formulations of these medications to prevent these side effects? These drugs are some of the most dangerous things to hit the market, and doctors are allowed to freely prescribe them.

Then the feds have wanted to go after doctors who prescribe a plant that grows out of the ground as a "dangerous drug." I think the FDA and DEA need to rewrite their "safety" classifications on what is considered "dangerous."

Just look up the potentially life threatening side effects of Tylenol, aka Paracetamol, aka Acetimenophen. Everything is backwards today.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TiedDestructor
I am very curious as to what hippy dave gave her.?
PM me if against t&c. lol.
I am just so mad at big pharma right now.

edit on 062014Mon, 18 Aug 2014 18:25:55 -050055America/ChicagopMondaypm14 by horseplay because: IF i hate my typos

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Gosh I feel for ya, I had a hell of a time getting off of "Pristiq".

What a nightmare, I remember the extremely unpleasant brain zaps, as well as massive physical anxiety and all kinds of bad feelings physically and mentally.

It's messed up that they never mention, physical dependency, or the horrific withdrawals. Never did for me anyway. If big Pharma had their way I would be stuck on that crap for life. It was up to me to successfully wean off....

I'm at work at the moment, so only have a few seconds, but I'll definitely be back tonight when I get home.

For now I'm just commenting for support. w/love

Stay strong

edit on 18-8-2014 by GoShredAK because: quickly adding some things while i can

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I quit xanax cold turkey and it was the worst. I couldn't sleep, and the electric feeling jolts hit me in the arms and legs and even felt like it was in my face too, and I also had the tremors too which horrible because it kept me from doing my job. But I will say that it does get better and it is totally worth it to be free from the " medicine " . You can do it too

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: InFriNiTee
Im not anywhere near suicidal or want to kill someone, just pretty pissed off over the side effects and now the withdrawl. such a bad drug overall. yet so popular, so sad.
w/d is just over the top. first few week it was manageable. now it's getting wiggy. muscle cramps. nightmares, hot/cold. skin crawling . brain farts, kind of unreal.
I just wish I could go throw a rock through glaxco smiths window or something.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpongeBeard
Serotonin Discontinuation Syndrome

I went through paxil withdrawals 3 years ago, with surprisingly great success. I did not recognize most of the symptoms, nor associate them with being related to paxil withdrawal, and so I had assumed it was just because of some kind of illness.

It's funny that I see this thread, because I am currently going through effexor withdrawals. I have read many posts online comparing the two (paxil is SSRI effexor is SNRI), and they appear to have the same withdrawal effects. I am very familiar with the brain zaps, but the major factor that is getting to me is the mood swings and manic episodes. Trashed my patio and nearly ended up in jail for the night in a manic "black out" last night. Don't remember a bloody thing and I'm not sure I want to.

darn it. spent like 10 min answering you and then hit the wrong button. can totally understand where you are, went on a tangent the other night with my animals. I live alone now, and the mere fact all my animals could piss me off so bad was scary.

I've found several people online recommending things that work for them. What worked for me for the brain zaps, was (believe it or not) benadryl. Something about the anxiolytic effects of it act to stop the brain zaps. It worked for me, but posts indicate it's a hit or miss and depends on the person. It's extremely cheap, you can usually go into any pharmacy and tell them you're having allergies (make up a story about mowing a lawn or something) and ask to buy a single generic benadryl. They're like $0.20 a pop generic.
Another thing you could do, is talk to your doctor about a 10 day prescription of Lexapro. For some reason this works for many people.

I actually am now doing benedryl, helps alot ! good advice. and it helps with the allergies this time of year anyway.

My doctor has vowed to me to never prescribe effexor again after seeing my withdrawal symptoms. I've seen it said again and again on forums. We need to start some sort of lawsuit against these companies. The FDA checks for drug efficacy, but do they check for withdrawal effects before approving these dangerous chemicals? I was reading a report on withdrawal effects of effexor that said 75% of patients monitored had homicidal ideation. 75%!!!!

I agree, so much money and research put into going on it. NOT near enough about going off.

I'm not even against medication. My ideaology on the subject is, if it helps take it, if it doesn't no one is forcing you to. But some of these drugs are being innocently prescribed by physicians who aren't even aware of their effects. Not through the ignorance of the physician, but through the misinformation and lack of information provided by the pharmaceutical manufacturers. I'm just in disbelief that stuff like this gets approved.

I'm with you man. we can do it. good luck to you on your effexor adventure !

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK
aww, thank you I so need it. !
guess I wouldn't be posting my guts out if I didn't.....

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: horseplay
I was prescribed Paxil when I was going through a rough spot 10 years ago. I found I didn't even need to wean myself off as I started to forget the daily dose until one day I hadn't taken it for a week...so I stopped entirely. My father was on Paxil for the last decade or so of his life, related to PTSD resulting from WW2. He told me that if Paxil had been around years ago, his life would have been entirely different.

Which is all to say that antidepressants have helped a lot of people regain their lives, and it's important to discuss them with your doctor, as they can be tweaked to provide the best results.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   

They gave me Paxil RIGHT after Desert Storm because I was depressed from my unfaithful EX.They wouldn't let me go to ANY ranges to fire weapons and now they are giving it to people in combat.SSRIs are some of the reasons people kill their families.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: JHumm

Oh gosh, thank you I only posted to vent and... well... secretly for support.
trembles were getting the worst of me and I knew it was paxil. although I was starting to think I was getting parkisons or dystonia. both symptoms are side effects of paxil and related drugs.
was on low dose xanax for years before Nick died, then she put me on attivan and (mega) paxil after he died.. I got off of it - the xanax and attivan OK but don't regret being on it at the time really. It's the paxil w.d that is off the charts.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Smoke some weed, will help chill you out relax you're muscles help you sleep help with the withdraw off Paxil aswell

Do some research into it the things it can help with are amazing

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I have been considering getting off prozac...i take about 40mg...but the thing tjat bothers me is even a day w/out the pills, my body os just wracked with pain like a deep burning sensation akin to fibromyalgia. It pins so bad that my body get's stiff and maube seize up? I might talk to my doctor, but she'll put me on something else...

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
antidepressant withdrawal symptoms can last months even years
use caution and discernment
for informational purposes only
can be deadly if not treated diagnosed properly

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck
I was prescribed Paxil when I was going through a rough spot 10 years ago. I found I didn't even need to wean myself off as I started to forget the daily dose until one day I hadn't taken it for a week...so I stopped entirely. My father was on Paxil for the last decade or so of his life, related to PTSD resulting from WW2. He told me that if Paxil had been around years ago, his life would have been entirely different.
Which is all to say that antidepressants have helped a lot of people regain their lives, and it's important to discuss them with your doctor, as they can be tweaked to provide the best results.

These drugs have saved lives.
There are proper ways to stop doing them. Cold turkey isn't one.
Brain zaps are the worst.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join