It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My gardens

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Good morning everyone!
It's a beautiful sunny day outside, and I'm headed into it shortly. I just thought that I would try to add a splash of color to everyone's world today.

This is just a sneak peek of some of my flowers. Please feel free to add anything of your own.
I was able to see images again this morning and just thought this would be fun.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Ok, I know there is a big....growing zone difference(?) between here and there, but is that really a peony, in bloom, right now?

Beautiful flowers though! Thanks for sharing!

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

No, these have been taken over the entire season. Our growing season is later though, so this flowered at the beginning of July. There is actually a market for peony farms up here in my area since they bloom here at the height of the wedding season, June and July. It's gorgeous driving past the farms when they are blooming. This is my first blossom that I coaxed out of a nearly dead end of season sale bucket at a box store. It's been there for five seasons now. I was so excited. I still haven't convinced my husband that we need any kind of full on farm yet, but I've been working on him, hehe. For now it's mostly increasing our current veggie yield.

Oops, and my growing zone is 4a or b depending on the year. We just have a much shorter season than you with sunlight on steroids in the summer time. My final frost date is June 1 and my first frost can come as early as the end of September.
edit on 18-8-2014 by woodsmom because: Growing zone

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Thank you for posting these. They are beautiful.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: woodsmom

very pretty.

Thanks.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Thank you both!
The dream of these splashes are what help to sustain me through a long winter. I'm only happy to share them. It was actually somebody here at ATS who encouraged me to photograph my gardens. I'm usually so mucky when I'm out there, that I have never taken a lot of photos until this year.

Here's another lily. These were all gifts from a friend with an overflowing bed.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Really nice! What are those blue flowers, second pic from the top?

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Very beautiful. Thank you

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

That is a Delphinium

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Really very very beautiful. I love sharing photos of my gardens and I much appreciate when
members do also! TY
edit on 03/30/09 by starlitestarbrite because: Spelling

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Thanks. Those are delphiniums from my mother in laws garden. I love the mangled mix of blue and purple that they exhibit every summer. They actually took a hit from our odd winter last year, I lost 3 or 4 different delphiniums around the yard, and those that made it were a little smaller than normal. Here is a photo of the larger darker blue plant next to it.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Facepalm. I should have known. I planted some no less than 3 times in the past few years, but could never get them to grow. So when I say congrats to you, you have to know that I'm dripping with admiration.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Looks like hard work, but the pay-off is worth it!

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   

I have a question then. What type of winters do you have? The plants that I lost were due to it getting too warm during the winter cycle. They woke up too soon and froze hard in their baby spring stage. I don't insulate certain plants, like the delphinium, so they stay hard frozen until its time for them to wake up. Maybe if you mulch it like crazy after it dies back in the fall, and leave it on until other plants are growing safely in the spring, it might just make it. We have very acidic soil in Alaska too, and they love it up here, that may play a part as well.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   

You have a beautiful garden and thanks for sharing these pictures - i've just moved house so those seeds are waiting until next year - they are safely squirrelled away though

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: skalla
You actually have seeds from the delphiniums in these photos, as well the yellow trollius, the iris and the fireweed that the butterfly is hanging out on.

May you and your bride enjoy them thoroughly!! I know that my spoons are cherished.

I will gladly toss the offer of seeds out to anyone that may want a few.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Ohh, your garden is beautiful! I'm envious of your peonies, I have to say -mine have been in for 3 summers now and still no flowers

I'm impatient, lol! It's great seeing all your hard work pay off, especially when I noticed a couple of leaves turning red today in my garden. I'll look at yours instead and pretend it's still summer!

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

Those peonies are so stubborn and flower whenever they darn well please. I have another, a yellow one that has been in the ground a year longer than my pink one, that still has not bloomed. It teased me this summer with a tiny little budlet that never did anything else. My gardens are fading as well, and the yellows are starting to show. We can just revisit these all winter. I'm still hoping for one more decent month to mature the veggie harvest. Unfortunately the Sandhill cranes are heading south already and I'm worried about an early winter this year.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   

They are truly the spoiled princesses of the garden - beautiful but sulky! Hope you get your veggies in though, nothing more annoying than a ruined crop.
Funny you should say that about an early winter, there's an awful lot of berries starting - I get the feeling we might be in for a bad winter too

Thanks for sharing your gorgeous photos, I'll be revisiting them!

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

I lived on the edge of a pine forest and had very acidic soil, in the Ottawa valley. Problem is they never even made it through to winter.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join