It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'World of Warcraft' to honor Robin Williams

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Robin Williams is known to be a gamer, named his daughter Zelda, and was an avid World of Warcraft player. After a Change.org petition of 11,000 signatures, Blizzard will memorialize Robin in an NPC in the game.

Along with a storied career as an actor and comedian, Robin Williams was a big fan of video games.

The developers of one of his favorite video games, World of Warcraft, will pay tribute to Williams' by featuring a character inspired by him inside the massively multiplayer online universe.

The Associated Press reports WoW creators Blizzard Entertainment are exploring ways to add Williams to the game. The 63-year-old Oscar-winning actor was found dead in his home Monday.

"We haven't decided, but it will most likely be a character inspired by him or some of his favorite roles of the past," lead game designer Ion Hazzikostas tells the AP.

They have done this before for Gary Gygax, the father of RPGs when he died.
Story

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   
this is totaly awesome, what else can you say.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I think that's pretty awesome that Blizzard is going to immortalize Robin in one of his favorite games. It brought a smile to my face to read it, as I am sure it will to many others as well.

Robin William's death struck me like John Candy's. These are really the only two people that I honestly felt for when they passed. Both seemed like they would be hilariously funny, genuine, and humble in real life.

He will be missed but I hope that he can see this in some way and that he thinks it's pretty awesome while yelling at the bast$&# for not doing it while he was alive and could play as himself.

Thanks for the share!
edit on 8/18/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Well. What a shameless way to sell more video games.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

TBH I doubt anyone is gone to get the game or renew their sub solely based on this action.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Think its a great and fitting tribute to him ..

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Found this..

Was trying to figure out what server he played on. I guess this letter is the original petition to Wow.

"It was reported that Robin used to play on the Mannoroth server, and was something of a troll in trade on good days or when anonymity allowed. Mr.. Williams said in interviews that he took his World of Warcraft characters very serious - in fact he was well known for being an extreme PC builder who prefered to build his own overclocked and super-cooled systems. He often joked about his WoW addiction but also about the reactions he'd get from other gamers when he admits he plays the game. Because of his presence within our community, we the players of World of Warcraft are asking Blizzard to kindly create an NPC within the game that memorializes the actor/comedian. Many have expressed a wish to this character perform some of Williams best jokes within the Worlds End Tavern, so that he may continue making us smile long after his passing." - kotaku.com...

So when your on one of these boats to one of the outer islands and strike up a conversation with someone, who knows who you could be talking to? Would have been interesting to have met him in-game. WOnder if he said funny sh@t.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

Youre probably right. Who knows if we've talked to well known personalities with the anonymous internet

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: HomerinNC

Dear Homer,

I think that the thing to realize about Robin Williams is that he was not able to destroy the forces

that defeated him.

Depression is a misnomer.

The affliction that cursed him drove him to end the suffering by any means possible.

Clinical depression is an insidious killer.

Robin Williams deserves all the love and respect that we can muster.

top topics

join