It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nvidia's New Shield Gaming tablet has 4cpu cores and 192gpu cores Awsome specs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I was shoping online for a new tablet and came across this Shield Tablet. The specs on this thing are awsome, I have not seen another tablet come close to this. I am asking anyone that has this, what is the build quality like ? Is it all hype or is it really as good as they say it it ?

This is not classified as just a tablet but a gaming system - tablet. They claim the specs are up their with the Xbox 360, and the PS3. And this even has a stylus included as well.

Here is another Review Site with more detail about the device.

If you own one of these, please let me know what you think so far. I ordered mine today just got to wait for delivery.
edit on 17-8-2014 by desertguy because: Changed number of cores . was wrong ..

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: desertguy

I read that title and said "NO WAY" immediately. The name of the CPU core is called the A15. It is a quad-core processor, not 15 cores. The most physical cores you'll see in a server is 16, and that's a server chip. Desktop PCs currently have the maximum of 8 cores available. Most people don't need more than a quad-core anyway. Even all my gaming PCs have quad-cores in them.

Still, 192 shaders (GPU cores/pixel pipelines/whatever) is pretty impressive for such a small device. That's more than the laptop I'm currently using has, I think, and I've even used it for gaming while my desktop was in storage for a year.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   

I have the original nvidia shield, the one where the screen in attached, and it is awesome, especially when plugged into my GT30 plasma. Funny, I have been actively searching for this tablet at GameStop for a few weeks and finally gave up. I could have ordered it but I prefer to buy things from a place I can easily drive back to and return the product.

If game streaming is your thing, this thing rocks. Really fast K1 processer with HPC. If not, save an extra $100 and pick up a galaxy tab s. I got mine yesterday and already have it rooted, deodexed and debloated. The amoled screen is AMAZING as well as the 3mb of ram after you root and can uninstall some of Samsung's bundled apps.

P.S. - You're missing an "e" in awesome in your thread title.
edit on 17-8-2014 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aldakoopa

I read that title and said "NO WAY" immediately. The name of the CPU core is called the A15. It is a quad-core processor, not 15 cores. The most physical cores you'll see in a server is 16, and that's a server chip. Desktop PCs currently have the maximum of 8 cores available. Most people don't need more than a quad-core anyway. Even all my gaming PCs have quad-cores in them.

Still, 192 shaders (GPU cores/pixel pipelines/whatever) is pretty impressive for such a small device. That's more than the laptop I'm currently using has, I think, and I've even used it for gaming while my desktop was in storage for a year.

I watched a video and they guy said 15 cores , guess he didnt know what he was talking about. I fixed the title.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Cool, it's ok though. Sometimes people get excited and/or confused and mix up their words or misunderstand what they're looking at. I've even been guilty of it. That's why I proof-read all of my computer hardware reviews about 3 times before posting them. Even then, I've still made mistakes.

It's even harder when you're making a video, then what you say is live. You can't backspace or proofread, so let's give the guy the benefit of the doubt, shall we?

This is still really cool technology. That tablet probably has equal or greater gaming power to my laptop, and I've even been impressed with it's performance on some of my favorite titles.

I can't get too excited about this though, I'm go-big-or-go-home when it comes to gaming electronics. A PC will always have greater power than something so small. Even though it's a 2.2GHz quad-core in that thing it's probably much weaker than my 1.9GHz quad-core in my laptop, simply because of the transistor count and the need for heat dissipation. Anyway, I still wish I could put my desktop in my pocket and take it anywhere...
but I can't.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Aldakoopa

and it is only 32 bit as well, not 64 bit like your laptop probably is. Now if they can make it dual boot with windows 8.1 that would be even better. I think they should have made it with 3gig of ram instead of 2.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: desertguy

and it is only 32 bit as well, not 64 bit like your laptop probably is. Now if they can make it dual boot with windows 8.1 that would be even better. I think they should have made it with 3gig of ram instead of 2.

Probably, especially with that limit or RAM. 4GB of RAM would be much nicer to see, though. And that RAM is probably shared with the GPU which means decreased performance on both system memory and GPU frame buffering.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   

I was going to purchase a galaxy tab pro but I think this will blow it out of the water with the GPU. Not sure if it uses ram for GPU or not I will have to look more into that, maybe it has its own ram, but I doubt it.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Most likely, especially considering size restrictions, it's shared. It's also likely that the CPU and GPU cores are made on the same die as well, to conserve space as well as share resources. Most likely it's using about 512MB of RAM for the GPU and the remaining 1.5GB is for use with the rest of the system. 1GB for the GPU would provide a much better frame buffer for the resolution that screen has, and having 2-3GB additional RAM for the rest of the system would be plenty for gaming.

new topics

top topics

join