It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble Discovers Zombie Star Haunting the Universe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
This is interesting, ATS! Astronomers have found what they are calling a Zombie Star; a star that survives after a weak super-nova fails to eradicate it.

A team of astronomers combed through data from the Hubble Space Telescope and found a star that appears to have survived (after a fashion) a weak supernova. This type of weak supernova is called a Type Iax, not to be confused with its brighter brethren, which are supernovas called Type Ia. The zombie-producing supernova has been named "SN 2012Z." It sits about 110 million light-years away from Earth.

Hm.m.m.m. So, if we can have Zombie stars then maybe there is hope for the Human race after all...Pun intended....With so many calls for a Zombie apocalypse, I'd think this would be welcome news to some. What says ATS?

www.cnet.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Your link is not working out for me, but I would be very glad to look over the details of this story in the morning! The concept seems outrageous!

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Your link is not working out for me, but I would be very glad to look over the details of this story in the morning! The concept seems outrageous!

The link works just fine for me. Weird.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 03:34 AM
link   

I have now managed to get the link to work, and can safely say ... WOW!

I never thought that I would see evidence for this type of cosmic activity. The cataclysmic power of a supernova is one of the most awesome displays of natures raw power in space, and made all the more stark by the knowledge that some day, our own species may, if it survives long enough, face such an expulsion of energy and matter, from our own home star.

But for something to have been left behind, to continue to wander the heavens after such an event is a concept utterly alien to my understanding. The only thing I can think, is somehow the stars mass was off center, so to speak, so that enough of its matter was outside the nucleus of the detonation, to be blown clear as a cohesive whole object, rather than as a rapidly expanding shell of matter, or a rapidly collapsing ball of density.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Already posted here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'll just add that I find it incredible how the Hubble can see a white dwarf in a whole other galaxy.

top topics

join