It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pine Pitch Glue

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Made some pine Pitch glue.
Collected the pitch, refined it down, added a little animal Fat, (maybe just a little to much) and charcoal, but i need it to be a bit less tacky and less runny.

When it's totally cooled it is kinda hard but leave it for a few ours at room temp and it wants to spread out..Like magic putty.

I plan on using it to cover the sown parts of a Leather Axe sheath i made, but in the state it's in it will just run, and being tacky the sheath will just end up covered in all sorts of stuff..Flies, Grass. pine needles, Elephants, low flying aircraft etc... Trust me, Anything that comes into contact with this stuff will stick to it..I dont want that.

Any Ideas? Would adding more pine pitch to the mix harden it back up to it's original state,well as close too but not brittle, would adding Rabbit droppings help harden it whilst also taking away the tackiness.??

It's Just about getting the mix right..It's my first attempt...

Cheers S

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
Made some pine Pitch glue.
Collected the pitch, refined it down, added a little animal Fat, (maybe just a little to much) and charcoal, but i need it to be a bit less tacky and less runny.

When it's totally cooled it is kinda hard but leave it for a few ours at room temp and it wants to spread out..Like magic putty.

I plan on using it to cover the sown parts of a Leather Axe sheath i made, but in the state it's in it will just run, and being tacky the sheath will just end up covered in all sorts of stuff..Flies, Grass. pine needles, Elephants, low flying aircraft etc... Trust me, Anything that comes into contact with this stuff will stick to it..I dont want that.

Any Ideas? Would adding more pine pitch to the mix harden it back up to it's original state,well as close too but not brittle, would adding Rabbit droppings help harden it whilst also taking away the tackiness.??

It's Just about getting the mix right..It's my first attempt...

Cheers S

I never add animal fat, and maybe that is where you messed it up. It can help to heat it a bit longer too as getting rid of the VOCs can harden it up too.

Maybe make another batch and leave out the fat, add a little beeswax instead if you need to make it a little more "plastic". Let me know if you still have problems, i came across some charts and experiments in differing ingredients that could probs find if you need them

You probably need to add some fibre to the mix too - well shredded dried grass (etc), or mashed up sheep/deer pooh, tumble drier lint works a freaking treat too.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: skalla
Thanks Man, Maybe go and collect a new batch..(wasn't easy finding the first and second batches) and most of what i did find was a soft white sugary type substance.
I'll try some Rabbit droppings, see if that helps, but first i'm guessing if i add more pine pitch a little at a time it will harden things up as the fat to pitch ratio will sort itself out.

From what i have read either Fat or Bees wax could be used to make the pitch pliable. trust me, i used very little fat.

Cheers for your input..S

EDIT..I had to google VOC's..

edit on 16-8-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

With beeswax it's best to only add a tiny amount at a time too - add too much and the stuff just wont set.

I think your only concern with the fresher "sugary" sap is that it's VOC's have not had a chance to evaporate out which should be solved by gentle heating.

Dry lint really is awesome too. It really holds the room together if you catch my drift.

ETA: just a general tip, but when i'm making a "glue stick", if it looks too glossy after applying a layer to the stick, i reheat the outside so it's tacky again and then roll it in fine charcoal dust which fixes the texture, as glossy = bad, Matt =good.

edit on 16-8-2014 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: skalla
It's so glossy i can see my face in it..oh well, maybe i've just invented a Survival Mirror.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Interesting thread. I don't know if I will ever need this information, but it is neat to know.

Lots of pine pitch around here on the white pines. Is there a better and worse type of pine pitch to work with? Tamarack makes some wild volatile pitch. It burns like a torch.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Interesting thread. I don't know if I will ever need this information, but it is neat to know.

Lots of pine pitch around here on the white pines. Is there a better and worse type of pine pitch to work with? Tamarack makes some wild volatile pitch. It burns like a torch.

Just answered one of your own questions...They burn like a torch. great for around the campfire, probably keep the Mossies at bay or for lighting a path to your toilet, tent, night shelter etc..just not when kids are about as the temps are similar to Hot Lava. think burning Sugar.

Also ideal for cuts. good antiseptic properties and good for waterproofing things....See Birch bark made products.

Loads of uses. Not just glue.

Word of advice...don the work outside. to much of a Danger indoors...Hey, accidents happen.. you know how flammable it is.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Melted bovine hoofs make really good glue, sets solid when cold, another part of the dead cow that can be used, meat, hide, hoofs.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
You can make nice varnish out of it too, though i hear it's fairly risky.

As to different materials to make it from, i read of a guy who was having a badly swollen knee drained and the stuff looked all collagen-like so he asked the surgeon to put it in a jar for him. He subsequently made glue from the goo and hafted some points with the stuff.

True story

Interesting test info on thread here
edit on 16-8-2014 by skalla because: link

ETA: oyu know those raw hide dog chews that are thin almost see through strips? Wilco's do them in packs of 20 or so for next to nothing...almost melt them in boiling water until super slippy and almost falling apart and apply to thing to be bound. Sets like concrete - i have a pressure flaker secured in a haft that way and it's the firmest join i ever made
edit on 16-8-2014 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: skalla
You can make nice varnish out of it too, though i hear it's fairly risky.

As to different materials to make it from, i read of a guy who was having a badly swollen knee drained and the stuff looked all collagen-like so he asked the surgeon to put it in a jar for him. He subsequently made glue from the goo and hafted some points with the stuff.

True story

Interesting test info on thread here

ETA: oyu know those raw hide dog chews that are thin almost see through strips? Wilco's do them in packs of 20 or so for next to nothing...almost melt them in boiling water until super slippy and almost falling apart and apply to thing to be bound. Sets like concrete - i have a pressure flaker secured in a haft that way and it's the firmest join i ever made

Another useful tip...never thought of using that particular product...i'll pick some up later.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Finally found a PP thread i was after - near bottom of page 1 there is some info use of beeswax in pitch glue

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: skalla

Finally found a PP thread i was after - near bottom of page 1 there is some info use of beeswax in pitch glue

Thanks man... S

top topics

join