It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate Will Review Military Transfers To Local Police, Key Senator Says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Senate Armed Services Chair Carl Levin (D-MI) said Friday the chamber "will review" the so-called 1033 program under which the Pentagon transfers surplus military equipment to local law enforcement.

“Congress established this program out of real concern that local law enforcement agencies were literally outgunned by drug criminals. We intended this equipment to keep police officers and their communities safe from heavily armed drug gangs and terrorist incidents. Before the defense authorization bill comes to the Senate floor, we will review this program to determine if equipment provided by the Defense Department is being used as intended," Levin said.

His statement comes amid a national outcry over images of a militarized police force in Ferguson cracking down on civilians protesting the police shooting an unarmed 18-year-old black man last Saturday. On Thursday, Rep. Hank Johnson (D-GA) introduced legislation to prohibit Pentagon transfers of certain military-grade equipment to local law enforcement.

Too little, too late... since local law enforcement already has such a huge arsenal country-wide that has already been given to them by the military. Now if they pass a bill that says that local law enforcement must return all of the military grade weapons and equipment, that would be progress!

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: LrdRedhawk

I wonder if this is election posturing OR being that the whole world has seen the United States of America's police force acting as military units they (elected officials) are just embarrassed?

But I'll be willing to bet my life on it that nothing will change, other than political rhetoric to calm the masses for awhile, then it will just be business as usual........

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

I totally agree, but the article also says. "Levin will step down in January; he isn't seeking reelection." Also, I think the chances of all local law enforcement giving up their new toys is zero.
edit on 15-8-2014 by LrdRedhawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
This situation showed a complete fail of reduse, reuse, recycle didn't it?

I wonder with all the demands for names, why no one has demanded who's idea it was to use this on the public?

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
" Senate Will Review Military Transfers To Local Police, Key Senator Says "

LOL

Now they act oh-so-concerned and stern and serious.

ATS has been harping on this for how many years now?

Progressives "Politicians" are getting nervous.

All reactive however. Never ahead of the game.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I'm going to have to ask the local cops if they got any of that junk. I bet they did apply at least, the cops like cool equipment like that. Hopefully they never need to be using it around here. Puts a whole new meaning when we talk about the cops going out and getting tanked. Depressing, I used to have a few with the cops years ago....purely for medicinal purposes though.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

As important as that may be, I would prefer that they do something to help the effing economy.

I would prefer that they review the activities of lobbyists.

I would prefer that they return to a govt based on the constitution.

Everything else would take care of itself then, including the militarization of the police.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Puts a whole new meaning when we talk about the cops going out and getting tanked.

ROFL!!

I wish I had an equally humorous come back for that..........

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: bbracken677

As important as that may be, I would prefer that they do something to help the effing economy.

I would prefer that they review the activities of lobbyists.

I would prefer that they return to a govt based on the constitution.

Everything else would take care of itself then, including the militarization of the police.

What's wrong with you?!

You're looking for the cure instead of treating the symptom! /end sarcasm

Asking for what your suggesting is like asking a prostitute to turn on their pimp!

They won't do that willingly, unless of course "WE THE PEOPLE" demand it!

Quite a shame really, when we can see the power we have just by what is happening in Ferguson? That was over one death!!! What would happen if we pointed that kind of outrage "IN MASS" towards the corruptness you are speaking of? I can assure you and everyone else on ATS that hundreds IF NOT thousands die in this country every day due to actions and laws written and enforced by corrupt government officials!
edit on 15-8-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   

That's wonderful, I wonder why in some of these small towns the police departments have Humvees? A city that I grew up in now has one...crime is pretty low in that area but hey, why not get a vehicle that cost double to service..

top topics

join