It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Vatican’s Response to Airstrikes Against Islamic State a Major Policy Reversal?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Is the Vatican’s Response to Airstrikes Against Islamic State a Major Policy Reversal?

The ongoing plight of Christians in Iraq has led the Vatican to break its usual peace policy by seemingly offering approval of targeted airstrikes aimed at stemming the growth and destruction of the Islamic State, a terror group that is murdering religious minorities and driving scores of individuals and families from their homes.

Despite disapproving of the U.S.-led Iraq invasion in 2003, some Vatican officials are taking a very different approach to the current crisis, with Silvano Tomasi, ambassador to the U.N., offering support for the U.S. airstrikes that were recently launched against ISIS targets in Iraq, according to AFP.

The Vatican is apparently worried that the situation in Iraq, which appears to be spiraling out of control, will amount to genocide of Christians and other minority groups who are being purged from portions of the region by Islamic militants.

It seems that times are a changin'

Here we have the Vatican not directly advocating action but rather agreeing that something has to be done to stem the ongoing bloodshed and atrocities. Change of policy, Slippery slope or just reality staring them in the face?

And in a letter Pope Francis sent to U.N. chief Ban Ki-moon, the pontiff called the international community to take action, though he did not explicitly mention airstrikes and focused on international law.

“The violent attacks that are sweeping across northern Iraq cannot but awaken the consciences of all men and women of goodwill to concrete acts of solidarity by protecting those affected or threatened by violence and assuring the necessary and urgent assistance for the many displaced people as well as their safe return to their cities and their homes,”

Pope Francis

I'd really like to hear your opinion/take on the matter. If you disagree with current actions taken by all those involved please speak out and offer your thoughts on what should be done or undertaken to bring this situation to a peaceful conclusion.

To be honest, when I hear the leader of one Religion talking about this sort of thing especially in the ME makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up and I take notice given the long history of not only sectarian violence but previous crusades and modern military actions undertaken over ever decreasing natural resources.

Will we see some sort of outright new Holy war?

Thoughts

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I've noticed this pope has been contrary to past popes regarding a lot of issues. Slightly surprising to see an about face on this though, especially from this particular pope.

To think that those who speak on behalf of the Ol'Mighty should refrain from condoning "air strikes" on anyone.

When we have finally devolved back into thinking holy wars are just you know the end is near. I still remember growing up thinking, 'wow, we were some savage people, thank god we're civilized now' .......

How is it possible we can travel to outer space but can't solve such trivial problems here?
edit on 15-8-2014 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 05:17 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

The Catholic Church sanctioning attacks against Muslims? That has never happened before... oh, wait....

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 05:18 AM
link   
As more time passes its clear that a muslem holy war has been going on for a long time, and it wont be long before its in your town, your street unless TPTB grow some balls and start protecting people. ISIS wants a "them and us" war and if they cant get that then they will just kill everyone who does not agree with them.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 05:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: imod02
As more time passes its clear that a muslem holy war has been going on for a long time, and it wont be long before its in your town, your street unless TPTB grow some balls and start protecting people. ISIS wants a "them and us" war and if they cant get that then they will just kill everyone who does not agree with them.

There has been a war within Islam since Kemal Attaturk decided it was time to join the modern world. The number of non-Muslims who have died in this roiling "jihad" pales in comparison to the number of Muslims who have been killed by fellow Muslims.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

There has been a war within Islam since Kemal Attaturk decided it was time to join the modern world. The number of non-Muslims who have died in this roiling "jihad" pales in comparison to the number of Muslims who have been killed by fellow Muslims.

How does that change the fact that muslems want to destroy everything that is not muslem ?
I dont see ant muslem contrys rushing in to stop the killings.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 05:28 AM
link   
a reply to: imod02

So You'd rather we do the same, and get them first ?

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 05:29 AM
link   

How does that change the fact that muslems want to destroy everything that is not muslem ?
I dont see ant muslem contrys rushing in to stop the killings.

That is not the topic of this thread.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 05:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hijinx
a reply to: imod02

So You'd rather we do the same, and get them first ?

No i hate war, and I hate killing, but history shows us if we dont fight evil evil will always win. WW2 happened becouse people sat around doing nothing untill it was too late and there had to be a world war, we are doing the same now. ISIS has made it very clear they will not stop, so we are left with 3 opitions,
1, dont do anything and let them take control of the world.
2, join them
3, fight them
It a mess but we opened the doors for ISIS, so what do we do now ?

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Well it wasn't so long ago that the Vatican itself was waging crusades and such...

That said, i think they should reinstate the Knights Templar and allow them to kick some jihadist butt...all the while protecting innocents of all faiths.

Ultimately, i agree with every action taken in Iraq thus far. I only wish that our states would do more to help.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 05:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital

Well it wasn't so long ago that the Vatican itself was waging crusades and such...

That said, i think they should reinstate the Knights Templar and allow them to kick some jihadist butt...all the while protecting innocents of all faiths.

Ultimately, i agree with every action taken in Iraq thus far. I only wish that our states would do more to help.

The line between fighting evil and becoming evil is very very thin, look at what the Russians did to the German women and children near the end of WW2. I fear your Knights Templar would become the same as the monsters they fight

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 05:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital

The line between fighting evil and becoming evil is very very thin, look at what the Russians did to the German women and children near the end of WW2. I fear your Knights Templar would become the same as the monsters they fight

Not my Knights Templar, the Vatican's.

But yes, you are correct - the possibility is extremely high. That said, something ought to be done to protect the lives of innocent civilians, against all extremist groups. I wouldn't oppose a reinstating of the Knight Templar for the purposes of protecting endangered civilians, so long as they are strictly and transparently held to account.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 05:50 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

That said, i think they should reinstate the Knights Templar

The Knights Templar have never gone away, but if the Catholic Church takes them back into the fold, it really would be a major policy reversal.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 05:55 AM
link   

That said, i think they should reinstate the Knights Templar

The Knights Templar have never gone away, but if the Catholic Church takes them back into the fold, it really would be a major policy reversal.

Indeed. I understand that there are no known connections between the Knights Templar of old, and any modern organisation, but i've always been interested in a possible connection between the Knights Templar and the Freemasons...Such a discussion is for another time though.

Yes, i agree that the reinstating or re-accepting of the Knights Templar would be a major policy reversal on behalf of the Vatican. I can only imagine the amount of feedback they would get as a result.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 05:56 AM
link   

I can only imagine the amount of feedback they would get as a result.

These boards would go crazy.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 05:57 AM
link   

edit on 15-8-2014 by imod02 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 05:58 AM
link   

There has always been a "Holy War" (ironic name, like honest politician).

It's been going on for centuries. What most don't realize is that while many in the west have enjoyed a relatively peaceful time, the war has festered in the Middle East.

This is a war that spans a millennia or more.

Neither side will cede until the other is gone.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

There has always been a "Holy War" (ironic name, like honest politician).

It's been going on for centuries. What most don't realize is that while many in the west have enjoyed a relatively peaceful time, the war has festered in the Middle East.

This is a war that spans a millennia or more.

Neither side will cede until the other is gone.

I fear you are right, and as I said I fear its what ISIS wants. There is no clean answer to it, just the question how many people will die.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Before this thread gets entirely off topic, let me jump in on a more serious note: The last few Popes have been very much like the Dalai Lama in urging peaceful conflict resolution around the globe. In the United States, fundamentalists have been screaming that Christians are being persecuted here. Finally, we see a situation where Christians actually are being persecuted on a large scale. (Only a handful were threatened in Afghanistan.) As the leader of one of the largest Christian denominations, the Pope cannot simply shrug and urge "peaceful resolution." He is forced to call for action, however peace loving he may personally be.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:23 AM
link   
The Vatican doesn't live in a bubble. I'm sure that they have seen pictures of the beheaded bodies and realize how fanatic and dangerous this group is.I wouldn't call this a major policy reversal but certainly a special circumstance.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join