It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Money withdrawn from accounts belonging to MH370 passengers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   

FIVE months after Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 disappeared shortly after takeoff from Kuala Lumpur, prompting a massive international search, it appears that some passengers’ bank accounts have been accessed.

The Mirror reports that accounts from four passengers were accessed from an ATM in Kuala Lumpur on July 18. A total of more than 111,000 Malaysian ringgit (AU$37,464) was withdrawn, bank authorities said.

Assistant Commissioner Izany Abdul Ghany from Kuala Lumpur police said they were investigating all angles, including the possibility that it was an insider job.

Money withdrawn from accounts belonging to MH370 passengers

I have no idea how this is even possible? please can someone share some insight into this matter? maybe someone who lives in Malaysia and knows how their ATM's work?

this is nuts.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Maybe family withdrawing the funds? IDK it is weird. seems like a lot of money so that makes me think it might be family. But to do it from an ATM that makes it more suspicious this whole thing stinks and we still have zero answers.
edit on 15-8-2014 by PraetorianAZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Might just be one of the relatives using a card?

People don't take all bank cards etc away with them when travelling..maybe a hard up relative needed the money and used the card left at home to take money from the ATM?

But....

Need details on whether the FOUR passengers accounts were all accessed at once, from the same ATM / bank, or spread out around the city and taken on different days etc.

If all four accounts were accessed at the same bank, maybe even the same ATM..then it's highly suspect.

ETA:

Just read the Mirror piece, and it seems that all the withdrawals came out of the same ATM machine, from the same bank.

So, that officially makes it highly suspect, and likely a bank worker with a hand in the till. (a fairly idiotic bank worker in fact)

edit on 15-8-2014 by MysterX because: added text

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Whoever did it would also need to know the PIN number, and it isn't very often that people besides the account holder has that information.
This plus 37k is a lot to withdraw in one day, and usually there is a daily limit to be able to take out per day, per account. This holds true even overseas usually..

I think this is very highly suspect just based on these things.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed
Whoever did it would also need to know the PIN number, and it isn't very often that people besides the account holder has that information.
This plus 37k is a lot to withdraw in one day, and usually there is a daily limit to be able to take out per day, per account. This holds true even overseas usually..

Happened to me when my father died. Part of the family near to him was afraid that the heirs (me) would take it all when I had finished and paid for the funeral arrangement....long distance. B@st&rd*...

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   
im sorry to hear that Zatara, my condolences to your lost love one.

I will be keeping an eye on this story to see what unfolds. I too have questions like:

what nationality was the person who's account was withdrawn from? was it family or was it not family?

surely if it was family then this story would not have made it to the MSM and that is ALOT of money to be withdrawn from an ATM.. this really is seriously fishy.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

I agree with you 300% on this one

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:42 AM
link   
someone decided to take advantage of the dead...could be someone from the bank itself, who knew the victims and their accounts.

Wouldn't put it past the average human...

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Information that's lacking is what, if any, relationship there is between the 4 victims. Perhaps they were traveling as a group or came from the same location and all fell victim to a credit card skimming gang. It could be a criminal ring working within the banks to plunder accounts, or it could be a credit carding criminal ring, they often do steal the pins, either by installing skimmers in ATM machines or by hacking into a victims PC to obtain bank credentials. Lots of ways to do it.

I'm not that suspicious of it being the government stealing the money from the victims, they can do that straight from the bank without any public record, and I definitely don't see the government having to go to an ATM to do it.

Daily withdrawal limits are set by the card itself, high value cards (gold, platinum) tend to have much higher withdrawal limits. Some cards do cash advances through ATMs as well. Some cards withdrawal limits exceed the ATMs per-transaction limit, so you would have to do several withdrawals to hit the cards max.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:49 AM
link   
And this was the day after the other flight was shot down.

But let's be serious here 40,000 bucks is small potatoes to the people who the consensus thinks is behind this "conspiracy." There is nothing yet to suggest that it was unauthorized as well. 4 people, 10,000 each, more than plausible that these were estates accessed by family.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: kicked
And this was the day after the other flight was shot down.

But let's be serious here 40,000 bucks is small potatoes to the people who the consensus thinks is behind this "conspiracy." There is nothing yet to suggest that it was unauthorized as well. 4 people, 10,000 each, more than plausible that these were estates accessed by family.

there is no conspiracy here....

It's a simple case of theft...thieves see opportunities. Every tragedy out there is someone's opportunity to make money...it's a sad truth.

edit:

I meant to say...I don't think this is tied to the dissapearance of the plane itself.
edit on 15-8-2014 by MarioOnTheFly because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

Yeah...could be like that.

The ring might have shot itself right in the foot by taking the money from these accounts, as if it is an organised criminal ring targeting banks, they probably didn't know these accounts belonged to MH370 passengers.

I can imagine a set-up where corrupt bank insiders tip off gang members by making lists of all dormant accounts...perhaps accounts that have seen no account holder interaction for a set amount of time, in this case that could be 4-5 months, and then they raid the accounts and steal some of the money.

The fact they were these accounts, and would raise immediate red flags if accessed, is what is going to catch these people and expose the gang..(if that is what is happening here)
edit on 15-8-2014 by MysterX because: typo

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

Hence the quotations. It's obviously thievery.

Edit: It seems odd that the family would leave it in the accounts for that long and the fact that it was accessed from an ATM. But this event is a month old now and anyone involved is long gone.

ACP Izany has not ruled out the possibility of an inside job at the bank, saying that police were "investigating all the angles".

Why would they make that one single speculation if they were investigating all angles?

Original story here
edit on 15-8-2014 by kicked because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-8-2014 by kicked because: Edit

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 02:09 AM
link   
a reply to: freee

hmm, thanks for posting this, i think we're all still curious about mh370 until miley does her next twerk..

not sure what to make of it.. (some good comments along the way here) ..with all the phone-harassers & scammers these days i wouldn't be surprised if someone working at the bank (with outsider assistance) just wrangled the cash or with the MSM dying these days maybe relatives merely accessed the cash & the news outlets have decided to spin the event into a 'story'

/gnaws on zombie bagel

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: UNIT76

But those are huge amounts of cash for ATM's.

You would usually go in the bank for that kind of money.

However...if stolen...ATM is the place to go.

We are investigating the case as unauthorised access with intent to commit an offence."

The offence in Malaysian law, which comes under the Computer Crimes Act 1997, provides for a fine of up to £30,000, or imprisonment for up to 10 years, and in some cases both.

That rules out "authorised" family access.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 02:30 AM
link   
there probably is a standard operation going on...someone from the bank keeps watch on "recently deceased accounts"...than forwards account information to someone outside. Someone that fakes credit cards. I doubt this is random theft. Four accounts from the plane.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 03:19 AM
link   
a reply to: freee
Here is the story at The Star Online, an online Malaysian newspaper.
www.thestar.com.my...

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 04:22 AM
link   
a reply to: harkna

thank you for this... it still doesn't explain who or why it was done.

will keep an eager eye out.

all I want to say is, if this is a syndicate or gang.. spineless shameless bunch of human waste

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 04:40 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

Yeah I think something along the lines of this has happened, definitely someone savvy with bank account theft was involved. Maybe part of one of those groups who interfere with atms in order to steal money and information.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 05:13 AM
link   
You would have thought that bank accounts and assets would have been frozen by the courts / authorities. Either way, fraud and criminality happens, including from within families.

Regards

top topics

<<   2 >>

join