It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hebrew word for coincidence?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
So... I'm writing my second book, (fiction work), and it falls in the urban fantasy/paranormal genre. I like to smatter my work with truth, reality, a bit of realism, and a ton of fantasy and the tongue in cheek. I am currently working on this chapter where an angel possessed priest is conversing with a detective that has recently discovered that the spiritual war actually boils over into the real world on occasion and he's mixed up in it. Of course, the angel possessed priest has some religions connotations to impart.

This brought me to a radio show I heard recently where this gentleman had stated that there was no Hebrew word for coincidence because everything falls within God's plan. (I'm paraphrasing here.) Anyway, I thought this would be great to work into my story. So I started doing some research and I can't seem to come to a definitive answer. It seems there is no actual word for coincidence, but there are words that can be used for coincidence such as: "might of" or "happenstance". Is this correct? I thought I would bring this to some of the most interesting minds I know and see what you all have to say.

In the end, it's a work of fiction and I'll probably go ahead and use it anyway; but I'd like to be able to present it in as knowledgeable a manner as possible. Not looking to start a holy war, just a little illumination from those that have a deeper understanding of the Hebrew language. Thanks in advance!
edit on 14-8-2014 by SumerianSoldier because: grammar

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: SumerianSoldier

It depends on what Hebrew you are talking about? There is the Biblical Hebrew which consists of 22 letters, all consonants and NO vowels. This language was dead for almost 2000 years and then in the early to mid 1800's modern Hebrew was invented out of thin air, this time with vowels. If there is a Biblical Hebrew word for Coincidence then it would be almost impossible to spell or understand, and maybe even impossible to really verify. Your best bet is to look within modern Hebrew or possibly even Aramaic.
edit on 14-8-2014 by OptimusSubprime because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

The word was never used Biblically in the Hebrew and only once in the Greek as far as I am aware. Maybe one of the extra biblical texts like the Talmud or Zohar have used it before modern times. There is a reason for this. According to that strain of monotheism, happenstance is a purely psychological construct. “The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the LORD.”

file:///D:/Downloads/Coincidences%20in%20the%20Bible%20and%20in%20Biblical%20Hebrew_Book%20by%20Haim%20Shore_2nd%20Revision_Three%20Sample%20Chapters_ 2%20(1).pdf

A book I found on the subject, seems very specific to your question. TL/DR ;p, but I hope it bestows that illumination upon you that you requested.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Hebrew is mostly comprised of action words. Even names are descriptive of the nature of the person.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
The Hebrew word for coincidence is Mikra. Which stems from the Hebrew word kara which is a common root word for cold, happening, and seminal emission.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   

I did a little bit of digging as the subject caught my interest. I assume the guy you heard was Rabbi Daniel Lapin.

www.rabbidaniellapin.com...

Quite an interesting view he takes on the differences between English and what I would assume is Biblical Hebrew. He says that words we have in English that lack a Hebrew equivalent are normally false concepts detached from reality. He points to Adolescent Coincidence and (my personal favorite) religion. Biblical Hebrew and Modern Hebrew are similar to the differences between say Modern English and Shakespeare. As Rabbi he is most likely going to be well versed in both languages and I would assume based on the argument he is making and his reference to the Tanach that he is talking about Biblical Hebrew. Here is some information on the differences if your interested:
hermeneutics.stackexchange.com...

There is no Hebrew word for coincidence which is defined as:

noun: coincidence; plural noun: coincidences; noun: co-incidence; plural noun: co-incidences

a remarkable concurrence of events or circumstances without apparent causal connection.

correspondence in nature or in time of occurrence.

I think its a perfectly legitimate claim to say that the there is no Hebrew Word for coincidence. As you said there are words that are similar such as "might of"(I didn't look into that one because I dont think "might of" really fits the term coincidence) and "happenstance"(which in english is defined as coincidence). If you'll look at the word "Keri" which
means "happenstance" you'll see when it is used it isn't used as we would use the word coincidence

"Keri (קרי) is a Hebrew term which literally means "happenstance", "frivolity" or "contrariness" and has come to mean "seminal emission". The term is generally used in Jewish law to refer specifically to the regulations and rituals concerning the emission of semen, whether by nocturnal emission, or by sexual activity. By extension, a man is said to be a ba'al keri (בעל קרי)("one who has had a seminal emission") after he has ejaculated without yet completing the associated ritual cleansing requirements. " (Forgot the source but its wiki.

Frivolity doesn't really fit with our idea of a coincidence nor does seminal emission fit our idea of a coincidence.

So I would say that is a bit of fun knowledge you could add to you novel.

edit on 14-8-2014 by ServantOfTheLamb because: Typo

edit on 14-8-2014 by ServantOfTheLamb because: forgot source

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   

This is what you are looking for.

I have been told Jewish rabbi's do not believe coincidence is a kosher word.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 04:18 AM
link   
The word "coincidence" literally means "happening at the same time".
The Old Testament is certainly capable of saying this;
"Edom revolted from the rule of Judah to this day. The Libnah revolted at the same time". 2 Kings ch8 v22

What you're really looking for is some equivalent of the modern phrase "just a coincidence", meaning that things were happening at the same time but positively denying that there was any connection between them.
The Old Testament had no occasion to express this thought. I don't know if they had a noun for "cause". If not, it would be very difficult to say "these things happened from different causes".

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Thanks for the input everybody! I now how a few more avenues of research and understanding!

top topics

join