It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VOIP (Voice chat) on ATS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Hi to all.

After my liitle early morning rant this morning (my time in France) for which mny members expressed their opinions and led to a brief and marvellous encounter on the chat forum, my question is the following :

Would it be possible to have a voice chat here on ATS?

Maybe this particular issue has been brought up before (soory but with the new search thingummyjig I am having issues... maybe because I am crap?)... but it would be appreciated as to what the site owners actually think of this option at the moment?

I have encountered VOIP on other sites over the years and with correct moderation (I actually moderated a forum with VOIP myself) was fairly cool...

Thank you for your feedback

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 05:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rodinus
Hi to all.

After my liitle early morning rant this morning (my time in France) for which mny members expressed their opinions and led to a brief and marvellous encounter on the chat forum, my question is the following :

Maybe this particular issue has been brought up before (soory but with the new search thingummyjig I am having issues... maybe because I am crap?)... but it would be appreciated as to what the site owners actually think of this option at the moment?

I have encountered VOIP on other sites over the years and with correct moderation (I actually moderated a forum with VOIP myself) was fairly cool...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

From what I understand their used to be voice chat , but apparently some members couldn't contain them self's on it . thus no more voice chat

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 05:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: LightningStrikesHere

originally posted by: Rodinus
Hi to all.

Maybe this particular issue has been brought up before (sorry but with the new search thingummyjig I am having issues... maybe because I am crap?)... but it would be appreciated as to what the site owners actually think of this option at the moment?

I have encountered VOIP on other sites over the years and with correct moderation (I actually moderated a forum with VOIP myself) was fairly cool and in general most members held themselves to Ts and Cs...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

From what I understand their used to be voice chat , but apparently some members couldn't contain them self's on it . thus no more voice chat

Hiya Light

Thus more the reason maybe not to have a couple of Mods to take a look from time to time no?

It does not take much with a little communication between the international moderation staff normally???

I moderated over here in France for about 8 years with the help of 3 or 4 volunteers... the website was much smaller than ATS (on a French level) and had less volunteer moderation staff (However, the website covered all people in or interested in France)

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 12/8/14 by Rodinus because: Whoops, spelling mistake

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 05:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Rodinus

Rod just wants to hear my velvety smooth - deep soothing voice .

Not in a Barry kind of way ...

Well ... a little.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Timely

Rod just wants to hear my velvety smooth - deep soothing voice .

Not in a Barry kind of way ...

Well ... a little.*coWhoopsie daisy... I buggered that one up...

I wanted to post this :

Relinds me of an Australian friend here...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

edit on 12/8/14 by Rodinus because: Crap spelling

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Indeed kind sir ! I am right on par with you

It would be nice to be able to voice chat . maybe their is more to the story

And MAYBE just MAYBE a mod here at ATS can enlighten us more on this thread

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I can give a historical perspective. There was a feature in one of the previous chat room software packages that allowed for members to tune in to what they were saying. Think of it as like a radio station. Communication was only one way from the host to the listeners.

The staff had no way to moderate what was being said other than disabling that "station" and only a few could do so. So, rather than having literally one or two people trying to monitor potentially thousands of live channels with the only option of moderating to be to cut off the channel, we opted to disable that feature from that software.

For members that wish to talk amongst themselves, Skype is a viable option that is free. Just be aware that it is not directly affiliated with ATS and that we have no control over such content that may be heard nor the interactions that may occur such as a virus being passed as downloadable content.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
I can give a historical perspective. There was a feature in one of the previous chat room software packages that allowed for members to tune in to what they were saying. Think of it as like a radio station. Communication was only one way from the host to the listeners.

The staff had no way to moderate what was being said other than disabling that "station" and only a few could do so. So, rather than having literally one or two people trying to monitor potentially thousands of live channels with the only option of moderating to be to cut off the channel, we opted to disable that feature from that software.

For members that wish to talk amongst themselves, Skype is a viable option that is free. Just be aware that it is not directly affiliated with ATS and that we have no control over such content that may be heard nor the interactions that may occur such as a virus being passed as downloadable content.

Thanks for your input Ahab.

A couple of years ago there was a company called Linden Labs that created an online world for which I will not name but most people know what the community is called?

They had/have an online VOIP service (group or U2U)... why not try this type of option?

Most of us know that Skype (especially if you are discussing on an international level) is pretty cr*p...

An ATS VOIP chat room in my opinion would be so much fun between us all and also help international members to learn alot more about each other in regards to cultural differences?

Just saying?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

new topics

top topics

join