It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is wisdom in sleep--please share yours!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Those who know me lately, or have had the (dis)pleasure of seeing recent posts of mine can gather that I’ve been going through an onslaught of self-doubt and depression. This is not the first time in my life I’ve been haunted so. I thought I left this black cloud far, far behind many years ago. It’s amazing how one can be on top of the world at one minute and find oneself at rock bottom the next. Sometimes we have to relearn the lessons we already know.

These days I can’t even seem to find peace of mind enough to relax and meditate on the bothersome issues swarming around my head. The last time I attempted to relax and meditate, I instantly got a message that I’m being pulled in too many directions with a vision of my various body parts and limbs stretched and strewn around the room. I’m way out of spiritual alignment! As the old saying goes, ‘to find oneself, you must first lose oneself.’ I’ve been through this lost and found before and thought I had it all figured out! I thought I had reached a state of self-worth, stability, and command. It’s so easy to lose sight though!

In the hardest of times, wisdom has always come to me in my sleep (check my username.) Sometimes it’s a dream, sometimes it’s just a moment of clarity—a plan, an idea, a clear course of action upon awakening—and on rarer occasions, something even more mysterious and special!

I went to bed recently and asked for an answer, an answer I desperately needed to hear—anything! Just anything to make me believe once again. Having been without health, employment, friends, love, finances, freedom, or any glimmer of hope for my future for so long, I was beginning to feel outright cursed and forsaken!

I woke up with an understanding. No dream took place that I can recall, but I just woke up with an internalized understanding of some very fundamental things. It was the only time this week I didn’t have a crushing nightmare. It was instantaneous knowing, surrender, and embrace.

I’ll paraphrase: Whatever is going on, whether your worldview is spiritual, godly, atheist, humanist, scientist, pragmatist etc. or any combination thereof—whatever is going on (life, existence, being,) it is greater than you and I. It is greater and it takes precedence over our wants and desires. The disappointment I feel about my life is nothing but my own defiance and selfishness being thrown back in my face. What’s going on is great and beautiful, and though I’m only a small part, I am part of this thing no less. This ‘thing’ asks for our cooperation and patience, not for our stubbornness. It asks us to be humbled, not entitled.

I’m sure this is no great revelation or epiphany to anyone but myself. Heck, I’ve heard this message before, and so have many of you. Nothing new, right? Well it was important for me to ‘hear’ this again, to be reminded, to have it reaffirmed from deep within. Maybe it’ll be helpful for someone else out there to be reminded of as well.

Though it may require a bit of selfless detachment and skillful navigation on my part, I must remember that the events shaping my life are part of a big jigsaw puzzle. I have to put my piece down whether I like it or not. I can’t just spite the entire puzzle by refusing to cooperate with the big picture.

Take it for what it’s worth. This little pearl of wisdom has helped me through a dark time. Some may call it wishful thinking on my part, but I have found some comfort and smiles in this realization. It's like a Chinese finger trap; the more I struggle, the tighter it binds. It’s time for me to relax and rest in it.

However, enough of my hogwash! I’m more interested in any other ‘pearls of wisdom’ you have gotten in sleep, dreams, visions, or whatever. (Obviously, keep this in league with T&C please.) But I am interested in the insight we derive from sleep, dreams, and other internal processes more than chemical and mind-altering substances. Please share any experiences you have had. I’d love to hear them!

Let's share our dream wisdom!

edit on 11-8-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Sorry, I don't get enough sleep as it is....

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

And I'm in the awkward position of getting too much sleep for my own good!

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Balance, grasshopper, balance...

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Those who know me lately, or have had the (dis)pleasure of seeing recent posts of mine can gather that I’ve been going through an onslaught of self-doubt and depression. This is not the first time in my life I’ve been haunted so. I thought I left this black cloud far, far behind many years ago. It’s amazing how one can be on top of the world at one minute and find oneself at rock bottom the next. Sometimes we have to relearn the lessons we already know.

This paragraph,

Lately I've had a minor reemergence of my physical anxiety symptoms, something I thought I had utterly defeated and left in the dust. Especially the last two sentences felt like you were talking to me.

S&F I hope you find your balance soon.

As for dreams, when I have memorable dreams they are so random and epic I forget to even look for a message. I'm trying though, the other day I took a nap with an amethyst under my pillow, no good results yet.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   

When I was released from the Army almost 15 years ago I had a girlfriend who had to take some medical test and found out that she couldn't get pregnant. That of course was a big shock to her and a big topic.

One Night I went to bed thinking about that and just said, please give me an answer.

In my dream I saw a monk. I had this connection to him and opened up. I asked him why some women can't get pregnant and his answer was, "Well who's is going to take of all the orphans in this world?"

This was like an epiphany to me. I had never thought of that. I told her about my dream and she cried because that made her happy.

After a couple of years we split up but keep contact and she has adopted a very beautiful little girl.

That's my story. Thanks for sharing yours!! S&F
edit on 11-8-2014 by Hellas because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: GoShredAK
Lately I've had a minor reemergence of my physical anxiety symptoms, something I thought I had utterly defeated and left in the dust.

Be ready! Be steadfast! There will always be inner challenges to face, demons to conquer. Complacency is a trap!

S&F I hope you find your balance soon.

Likewise, thank you!

As for dreams, when I have memorable dreams they are so random and epic I forget to even look for a message. I'm trying though, the other day I took a nap with an amethyst under my pillow, no good results yet.

Yeah, a lot of dreams are gibberish. Luckily some of them aren't. Have you ever tried asking for a message or a sign? I thought the notion was silly at first, but I've tried asking a few times and was surprised by the results. It may take a couple of nights to attempt, but try it out.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hellas
In my dream I saw a monk. I had this connection to him and opened up. I asked him why some women can't get pregnant and his answer was, "Well who's is going to take of all the orphans in this world?"

Brilliant story! And it seems the wisdom served a very direct and applicable purpose in the waking world as well. Great to hear! Thanks for sharing.

I have dealt with many monks, and gurus, and wisemen in my dreams before. Archetypical image, I'm sure. If I may share another dream, one monk invited me into his home after I was traveling out in the dark. He and his wife fed me and were good hosts. Then they asked if I wanted to play a game. They pulled out a board game with dozens of pieces, tokens, dices, all kinds of weird, fun stuff! So we started playing and it was incredibly confusing, but I didn't want to offend my hosts so I just did my best to keep up.

After a little while, I just stopped and admitted, "You know, I reallllly don't understand this game. How am I supposed to play this game? It doesn't make sense! You didn't even explain the rules! I don't understand what the goal is!"

They both looked at each other, at me, then laughed bemusedly.

The monk says, "Why does there have to be rules? Why does there have to be a goal? You are our guest and you're here to have fun, so have fun!"

I hope the metaphor is obvious

edit on 11-8-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Dreams can reveal A LOT about the psychological workings of a person,
and that can be exploited, badly.
Sorry, but i have to refuse to share.
edit on 11-8-2014 by LionOfGOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: LionOfGOD
Dreams can reveal A LOT about the psychological workings of a person,
and that can be exploited, badly.
Sorry, but i have to refuse to share.

Don't be sorry. That's a fair enough decision. Thanks for voicing your concerns at least.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
The disappointment I feel about my life is nothing but my own defiance and selfishness being thrown back in my face. What’s going on is great and beautiful, and though I’m only a small part, I am part of this thing no less. This ‘thing’ asks for our cooperation and patience, not for our stubbornness. It asks us to be humbled, not entitled.

Patience, being the key word here.
I think you are in a position similar to mine. The sad truth I found about myself is that I was and still am scared. Scared about the consequences of fulfilling my spiritual urges and needs, going the paths that obviously seem right... you know the answer to your problems, just like I do, but I suppose we both lack the courage, the confidence and the dedication (as of now that is) to really go down that road, knowing that our lives will not be the same again.

top topics

join