It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FWC Considers Legalizing Silencers for Hunters

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 05:50 AM
link   
www.baynews9.com...

Hunters in Florida may soon be able to operate with lethal stealth as lawmakers consider a new proposal that would allow them to use silencers.

It’s a proposal that hunters have been waiting for.

One hunter mentioned the convenience of not needing ear protection, and much easier that could make practice time on the target range.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission wants to allow hunters to use silencers on rifles and pistols.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Uh huh, right, for "hunting" sure.

For one silencers don't work like they do in the movies. But with Florida legalizing murder like many other states, I guess it makes sense that "hunters" would like to keep their kills quiet.

Can't wake the neighbors right? Witnesses make those "stand your ground" kills a little more difficult to prove.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: HauntWok

I wouldn't mind a suppressor for hunting. I hate the term silencer as they are anything but. Even a sub-sonic round makes noise.

That "Pfft-Pfft" noise that Hollywood puts in their shows is all hokem'.

The video is with sub-sonic .22LR rounds, Higher caliber make even more noise, even if they are sub-sonic.

The noise is suppressed, yes, but it's not silenced.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   
But if you are 30 feet away you will hear nothing.

Even with larger calibers people at 100 feet away will hear little if anything and it will not sound like a gun shot.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Really what is the need for a silencer? If you need that then your a piss poor hunter.

SM2

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

only if it is a sub sonic round. A suppressor on a barrel can do nothing for the sonic book of a projectile down range. For example, a standard 5.56mm or .223 on a rifle with a high end suppressor , down range will still sound roughly like a .22 mag. You can still hear it well over 100 yards away, and it still sounds like a gunshot and you can still roughly pinpoint the location. Now, if you had a .45acp with subsonic rounds and a suppressor you would have a very quiet firearm, would hear the action over the firing of the round, similar to the video posted.

The use of a suppressor on larger caliber rifles, such as a .308, .300 win mag etc are more about hearing safety and courtesy to others more than anything.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: snypwsd

Really what is the need for a silencer? If you need that then your a piss poor hunter.

A suppressor is usually used to hunt varmits, such as Praire Dogs, squirrel, etc. Animals that are in abundance and cause property damage.

I don't know any one that uses a suppressor for large game.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Oh Nooooooes! Another one of these threads!

Uh huh, right, for "hunting" sure. For one silencers don't work like they do in the movies. But with Florida legalizing murder like many other states, I guess it makes sense that "hunters" would like to keep their kills quiet.

One little problem with the logic here.

If a person is planning to murder someone, that makes them a criminal. Why would a criminal bother with going through the Federal tax paperwork to legally buy a silencer? That would just alert the authorities to the fact that they owned one.
Criminals get their hardware through the black market, just like drug users.

Give me a link to the Florida law that legalizes murder.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Doesn't it cut down the muzzle velocity, which effects everything from range to accuracy from the destabilization of the rounds?

Of course it would also be easier to hear what the police are saying, after you shoot someone in your living room!

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: snypwsd

You must not hunt. Either that, or you will tell us how pro you are, getting your trophy buck with the first shot of the year. In any case, sit down and let the grownups discuss this.

SM2 has the right of it. Hearing protection should be taken into consideration when discussing the shooting of ANY firearm, let alone high powered rifles. On top of that, the lower noise output lessens the chance of scaring away a herd or prairie dogs or whatever it is.

Although I am neither for or against this law, I really don't think someone is going to snipe their neighbors across the street because of it. I think some people have watched "the purge" one too many times

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Silencer are only going to bring more accidents to the forest. I want to be able to hear someone shooting in my hunting area. Im kinda of on the fence with this one. It would be awesome to have a few shots at something, but then again I would NOT call that hunting. Shooting fish in a barrel. It takes skill

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Im sorry but you do not need a special license to have a SUPRESSOR. thats a myth that you have to register them. SUPRESSORS do not affect the striations on a bullet enough to warrant such a action. They will try to get you to register them anyway but its perfectly legal to have one unless youre kiling people with it.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
Im sorry but you do not need a special license to have a SUPRESSOR. thats a myth that you have to register them. SUPRESSORS do not affect the striations on a bullet enough to warrant such a action. They will try to get you to register them anyway but its perfectly legal to have one unless youre kiling people with it.

You have to pay the Federal tax when you buy one though.

There is some info here, like which states allow for ownership of a suppressor.

the silencer shop
edit on bu312014-08-11T10:02:16-05:0010America/ChicagoMon, 11 Aug 2014 10:02:16 -050010u14 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I don't like the idea of suppressed firearms for hunting. It's important to hear another hunter's shot if you are pushing a strip or walking through the forest. Helps you keep aware of what's going on around you.
edit on 8/11/2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Oh Nooooooes! Another one of these threads!

Uh huh, right, for "hunting" sure. For one silencers don't work like they do in the movies. But with Florida legalizing murder like many other states, I guess it makes sense that "hunters" would like to keep their kills quiet.

One little problem with the logic here.

If a person is planning to murder someone, that makes them a criminal. Why would a criminal bother with going through the Federal tax paperwork to legally buy a silencer? That would just alert the authorities to the fact that they owned one.
Criminals get their hardware through the black market, just like drug users.

Give me a link to the Florida law that legalizes murder.

The vast majority of weapons used by criminals are stolen from legal gun owners. So legal silencers would also mean a huge increase in availibilty to criminals. The people who do not properly secure their weapons are the ones who provide weapons not only for crimminals but, also in gun accidents with children. In Switzeland the conduct inspections to make sure you keep your weapons secure. Maybe they should that here as well. Cut down on crime and less people would be concerend about creating more gun laws.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Great another hit piece from hauntwok where he argues with pro-gun people for 30 some pages with hyperbole and lies... Just what ATS needed...

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
Maybe they should that here as well. Cut down on crime and less people would be concerend about creating more gun laws.

Somehow I doubt the veracity of that claim.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
lol, Florida. I used to live there.
I'm not sure exactly what they are hunting there that requires a suppressor.
Sounds to me that it's more like the state trying to acquire more tax income and if you have ever lived there you understand they have Freshwater licence, Saltwater licence, Private fish pond licence if you own a pond larger than 20 acres which allows people you let fish there do so without a freshwater licence.
Hunting licence, you have to buy a deer permit seperately. Alligator hunt permit which is now $272 for a resident and its is issued by random drawing but you must have an alligator trapping licence to participate.

It's really a mess down there for sportsmen.
here is the FWC link

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
They're lucky! I wish we were allowed to hunt with silencers in my state(some do, though). I've been in the woods and some hunter over the hill from me shoot and spook the deer and I'm sure I've done the same to them. It would be nice to have the option if we choose.

SM2

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

Actually, to purchase a suppressor, you must fill out some BATFE forms, and purchase the tax stamp. Once approved by the BATFE you can then go a pick up your suppressor. It is considered a class III NFA item. It DOES require registration. Now, you can set up a trust or corporation and register it to that, but it does have to be registered.
You also can manufacture one, but you have submit the plans for such a homemade device to the BATFE and follow the rest of the steps as if you were making a purchase of one. It is the SAME process as purchasing a fully automatic weapon. You do not need a special license for either, just the BATFE forms and the tax stamp, wait about 2-12 months for them to get off their butts and approve you, or deny you, depending on the situation.

Here are the states that currently allow individuals to own a suppressor

AL, AR, AK, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MI, MO, MS, MT, ND, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, WV, and WY.

many of those allready allow their use for hunting. I believe the latest number is 30 of those states allow their use in hunting.

A suppressor does not effect the rifling marks on a projectile at all. Not in the slightest. All it does is act like a car muffler by controlling the dispersment of the expanding gasses from the barrel. The will cut down on muzzle velocity, and in some cases, make a projectile more accurate down range, in some cases make the projectile more accurate, less felt recoil, less barrel rise and also act as a muzzle break/flash suppressor at the cost of less range and less knock down power.

So, my comment to you, please make sure you know what you are talking about before you put information out there, as everything you said was 100% wrong.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   

edit on 14uppam by yuppa because: Confusing information

top topics

<<   2 >>

join