It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Autism is normal in men

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Cruithneach

You must be talking about US polititians

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: GetOutOfMyLight

I don't consider myself like that do you?

I don't consider myself to be operating at my full biological and emotional potential... no. I've done a bang up job in spite of the environment but there are some things all of us are subjected to no matter what.

Of course you don't consider yourself like that. How would you know any different? That's the point.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Interesting hypothesis. F&S

I don't agree though - I've known too many men over the decades who do not fit your description. Still, interesting that autism is now so prevalent - maybe it IS a devolution.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   

So could many other disorders... It's why the first thing they tell you in abnormal psychology is to refrain from self diagnosis... Noobs will drive themselves bat crap crazy if they internalize everything they read in the textbooks.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I am a male on the spectrum.
it aint normal

males are just more fragile to the causations at that stage of development then females are

greetz BM

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Every day I fight a losing battle inside of my mind.

Part of me wants to be this social butterfly that is accepted by everyone. I always sit in the park and watch groups of people interact so easily with each other.

Another part of me holds me back from doing all of that stuff, when they do talk to me I can't even look them in the eyes. It's just so frustrating.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow

Interesting hypothesis. F&S

I don't agree though - I've known too many men over the decades who do not fit your description. Still, interesting that autism is now so prevalent - maybe it IS a devolution.

No, not devolution, evolution. It is inherited, meaning it has persisted in people for an unknown reason. Meaning there may be actual benefits to the "disorder"

It's only more common now because we have a tendency to "diagnose" every slight deviation from the standard as a "disorder". Autism isn't just showing up in people. It's been there forever, all the way down the genetic line.
edit on 11-8-2014 by Cruithneach because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: muse7

Part of me wants to be this social butterfly that is accepted by everyone. I always sit in the park and watch groups of people interact so easily with each other.

Another part of me holds me back from doing all of that stuff, when they do talk to me I can't even look them in the eyes. It's just so frustrating.

It's just how you were meant to be, embrace it rather than fight it. It is not your fault, in fact it's the fault of this twisted, malformed society that we live in.

Being a social butterfly isn't all it's cracked up to be, I promise you. Often those peoples insecurities run far deeper than your own, they simply mask it better.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cruithneach
Autism isn't just showing up in people. It's been there forever, all the way down the genetic line.

In particular we started isolating and trying to "fix" them... which just amplifies the negative traits and gives no opportunity for the person to learn to work with their strengths in relationship to their differences from others around them.

We treat them like and tell them they are "broken" before they even have a chance to try to adapt to the world around them. What other outcome but a broken person could we possibly expect? Add in terrible diets, water, air, lack of empathy except pity, etc...

I was very fortunate to be thrown to the proverbial wolves. It helped me become the person I love being today despite being a bit... odd.

The attempts to fix me were during a time there wasn't a specific diagnosis so a person who didn't understand me didn't have the opportunity to permanently classify me and pat themselves on the back. I had the opportunity to take in what they were suggesting while using trial and error to figure out what actually worked for me.

Along with plenty of invisible help along the way.

edit on 11-8-2014 by GetOutOfMyLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: GetOutOfMyLight

Autism isn't just showing up in people. It's been there forever, all the way down the genetic line.

In particular we started isolating and trying to "fix" them... which just amplifies the negative traits and gives no opportunity for the person to learn to work with their strengths in relationship to their differences from others around them.

We treat them like and tell them they are "broken" before they even have a chance to try to adapt to the world around them. What other outcome but a broken person could we possibly expect? Add in terrible diets, water, air, lack of empathy except pity, etc...

I was very fortunate to be thrown to the proverbial wolves. It helped me become the person I love being today despite being a bit... odd.

Exactly right. It's the world today that's broken, not them.

There is a connection to neanderthals and cold-climate, definitely. I wish the research they did was focused toward that, rather than trying to "fix" it.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

I was wondering where you were going with that until your second paragraph. Women getting too uppity for you, eh?

By the way, most mental illnesses are simply exaggerations of normal human behaviour. One could just as easily make the case that all men are paranoid, or manic-depressive, or exhibitionistic.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax

I was wondering where you were going with that until your second paragraph. Women getting too uppity for you, eh?

By the way, most mental illnesses are simply exaggerations of normal human behaviour. One could just as easily make the case that all men are paranoid, or manic-depressive, or exhibitionistic.

Huh, what about uppity women? The only uppity woman I see right now is the one that wrote the post I'm responding to.

I'm pretty sure women are a lot more paranoid and bi-polar than men are. In fact I've experienced it first hand.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   

I know the feeling. It was so frustrating growing up, especially cuz everyone loved my brother. He was Mr. Social. He got invited to everything. I think they had to pay someone to take me
. People tried, but they just couldn't reach the core of who I was.

I spent a lot of time in trees. Felt safe there.

I learned to accept myself for who I am.

---------------------------------------

Society as it is structured today may not be natural to the human species. But, I don't see it as specific to one gender.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

I know the feeling. It was so frustrating growing up, especially cuz everyone loved my brother. He was Mr. Social. He got invited to everything. I think they had to pay someone to take me

Society as it is structured today may not be natural to the human species. But, I don't see it as specific to one gender.

It's not really specific to one gender, I should have worded my post differently. I simply mean to say, it seems like women have an easier time in social situations, generally, and they form social groupings more easily and readily.

I mean just think back to your school days. Even the most ostracized, "unpopular" girls had some friends, however few. You would very rarely come across a true female "loner". Whereas with the guys, it was more common for there to be "true loners" that literally had almost no friends and only a few stilted acquaintances.
edit on 11-8-2014 by Cruithneach because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Being a social butterfly isn't all it's cracked up to be, I promise you. Often those peoples insecurities run far deeper than your own, they simply mask it better.

This is true in my case. My brother was the "beloved". Very popular and extremely well liked.

Today, in our retirement ages, he is the insecure one. In his words "he's trying to be a better person". Seems he took advantage of his ability.

Me on the other hand am solid as a rock. Long fight to get here, but I have no insecurities. I have no need to get praise from outside myself.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Eh, if you know one autistic, you know one autistic. Even twins on the spectrum are not the same in most cases.

My son was diagnosed 13 years ago as moderate autism. He's considered high functioning and can handle most high school classes, but needs additional assistance with tests. He also needs a place to pace when the physical discomfort of sitting in class gets too much. His uncle (biologist/computer work) is definitely undiagnosed autism. I have traits (financial analyst), as does my husband (electrical engineer). Aspergers explains my dad's (computer programmer) and my father-in-law's (electrical engineer) sometimes outrageous or scripted behavior.

I've seen a theory or two about autism being an almost "hyper-masculinity", but nothing more than the original reports.

If you want an interesting read, Thomas Sowell's "Late Talking Children" is a good book. It is not a study - all the subjects were self-selected - but it does give some interesting theories on familial jobs & autism like behaviors.
edit on 11-8-2014 by Mountainmeg because: to/too stickler

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

It's not really specific to one gender, I should have worded my post differently. I simply mean to say, it seems like women have an easier time in social situations, generally, and they form social groupings more easily and readily.

I mean just think back to your school days. Even the most ostracized, "unpopular" girls had some friends, however few. You would very rarely come across a true female "loner". Whereas with the guys, it was more common for there to be "true loners" that literally had almost no friends and only a few stilted acquaintances.

Not really. You can be part of a group, but not really belong.

I got along with men. They tend to be more superficial, without the need to "own your soul".

I am pretty much a loner. Friends I have are in groups that interest me. I don't exchange phone numbers, I don't socialize outside the interest group.

I'm very happy.

NOTE: I need to add, just because I preferred the company of men, does not mean I didn't embrace being female. I love being a woman. I used my picture in my avatar, because in other discussion groups they said I sounded like a butch leather clad biker babe. Seriously! Clearly I'm not.
edit on 11-8-2014 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: GetOutOfMyLight

We sure don't do that at my place of work I know in the past they did but now I hope it is different in most places.
People with autism are allowed the same rights as anyone else granted some I work with have a DOLS placed on them but that is for their own safety but we don't allow the dols to stop them getting 100% out of life and we do everything we can to make sure they are happy and safe and can do anything they want to do.
Tell you what I would trade places with most of them lol.

Oh and to the people saying it is a mental illness or devolution....you are so wrong.
There is nothing wrong about being autistic it is simple put another way of being a human.
I work with the fellas whom are not in the mild sense of autistic I work with the high end of the spectrum and sometimes I think wow they are in another realm of existence especially one fella whom I adore because while we get what we perceive from eyes ears etc his way of perceiving the world is through touch and smell I reckon he is a super hero he can smell dinner before it's cooked lol.

Anyhow well done all not putting down these guys and don't ever thank me for what I do because I thank them for the opportunity to work with them.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Just gonna imagine you in leather lol

Joking aside you hit the nail on the head in saying in an earlier post you gotta just accept who you are If you arn't hurting no one and are happy being who you want to be...be it why try to please others all the time or worry about what they think it is you who has to accept yourself and I found most things slotted into place when I realised this.
edit on 11-8-2014 by boymonkey74 because: Only had a pint lol.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74
/salute

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join