It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Going it alone In one of the poorest counties in Texas, at the center of the U.S. border crisis, on

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
www.washingtonpost.com...

But whenever an immigration-related emergency prompts someone here to dial 911, as happens a few dozen times a day, the call rings to a nearly bankrupt sheriff’s office in one of the poorest counties in Texas, where on this day the only available solution to an international crisis was a 37-year-old deputy who earns $11.50 an hour.“Officer 807, going in,” Pompa said into his radio, and when the dispatcher didn’t respond he repeated himself. “Going off my unit to investigate,” he said. “Do you copy?”

Still nothing. The department’s radio communication system had gone down again. There was no cellphone service in this part of the county. Pompa’s nearest backup was at least 10 miles away. He had no body armor, no Taser, no tactical gear, no binoculars or GPS. He holstered his gun and grabbed his department-issued cowboy hat off the dashboard. It was a ridiculous white bucket of a thing with a tacky badge that rubbed his forehead raw, but still he wore it whenever he left the car, for luck and for courage. It closed the distance between the fabled Texas Ranger he imagined himself to be and the deputy he was, a former greeter at a Drury Inn who had never shot anything but a rabid pit bull, and who texted his mother at the end of each shift to let her know he was safe.

Wow i don't even know what to say. No back up broken raidos meanwhile we have overpaid swat teams killing dogs and old folks for a bag of weed when they actually go to the right house. Just mind boggling this whole system needs a big reset wow..

edit on 8/10/2014 by Mirthful Me because: Fixed Link...

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: switchqm8
Thought I'd fix your external link...since it didn't work for me...
Going It Alone

Hope that helps...

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   

So where are the bad ass militias when he's in need of help?

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: solarstorm

Forbidden from going to the border.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Thanks Op. The link is worth the read. I am texan and wasn't aware some borde counties are this bad. Hopefully nationl guard will help.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   
You have to feel for this guy.....hes on the bottom of the # ladder that's for sure.....

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 01:06 AM
link   
The government, for a good while now, has taken certain steps that have allowed police forces across the nation, but especially in large cities, to gain access to MILITARY hardware that they don't need because of the threat of "terrorism." It was all started by the "war on terror." Yet there are places, especially rural areas, where the police department does not even have the most basic of equipment, equipment that they need to properly function. I see a huge problem with this, and that problem is fairly obvious.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I could make a whole bunch of jokes about Texas & hospitality, and Texas & money, but that would be rude.

Instead, I'll point across the Gulf, and shake my head slowly with a scowl. Poor money management is poor money management in any state.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: JiggyPotamus

The city here recently got an armored vehicle, and we are far from a large city.

Also, someone I know busted a molotov cocktail in an empty tunnel here (being a bored jackass I imagine) and the media hyped it up to front page top story about a "couple charged in bomb blah blah" and they charged him with use of a weapon of mass destruction lol. It was stupid, but I feel for him. If the police don't know that this alleged WMD (read, bottle and gasoline) was "exploded and had to search the tunnel for evidence, then it probably shouldn't be considered a wmd.

War on terror has made this country and our justice system even crazier.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: switchqm8
He had no body armor, no Taser, no tactical gear, no binoculars or GPS.

This has got to be wrong. I mean even in my tiny little town, the cops wear bullet-proof vests for regular traffic stops. I don't know exactly what gear they have on their belts but I know it's more than just a gun and handcuffs. Can it really be that bad down on the US/Mexico border?

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Yes seems the fed wants the boarder left wide open why else would they give millions to small towns no where near the boarder and yet let these guys go broke. America being destroyed from the inside just as planned . When a conspiracy is backed up by facts and data it is no longer a conspiracy..

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: switchqm8
Yes seems the fed wants the boarder left wide open why else would they give millions to small towns no where near the boarder and yet let these guys go broke. America being destroyed from the inside just as planned . When a conspiracy is backed up by facts and data it is no longer a conspiracy..

Yeah, that's what they want! (Extreme Sarcasm!)

There a two sides to dealing with border security and as ironic as it may seem, it's usually the very same people who are constantly complaining about the feds depriving them of their "liberty," while simultaneously screaming that they won't do anything to secure our borders.

You may want to check out this "border security vs. liberty" special that was recently aired on Fox in the John Stossel segment.

You know what they say; "You can't have your cake and eat it too." Theres' another pertinent old saying that starts something like this; "Be careful what you ask for..."

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Government has roles to play one of them is making sure the boarders are secure. It is not their job to force me to live how they see fit. They need to abide by the Constitution. They need to worry about things like infrastructure and the grid ect.

new topics

top topics

join