It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dungeon Keeper 3

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Anyone here a big fan of Dungeon Keeper, or Dungeon Keeper 2? I was a bit too young to remember much about DK1, but I spent hundreds and hundreds of hours on DK2. That was back in 1999-early 2000's. I still play it every now and then, but have always wanted a DK3. Im sure plenty of other DK fans also want a DK3.

Long story short, Bullfrog basically closed its doors and merged with EA UK in 2004, effectively shutting down hopes of a DK3. (DK3 was originally supposed to be called "Dungeon Keeper 3 : War for the Overworld"). Well, fast forward to 2009 and lo and behold, a group of DK fans banded together and started "War for the Overworld". After going through a few different engines, the team finally settled on the Unity 4 engine in 2012.

Here's what Peter Molyneux, the creator of Dungeon Keeper, has to say about this new crew creating War for the Overworld.

The original DK creator gives this game praise.

So the game got a kickstarter a couple years ago, and was released for alpha/beta (it's currently called the bedrock beta) on Steam. The team originally thought they could finish the game in 2013 I believe, but decided to push back the final release date to 2014, and now to early 2015. (As most all games currently on Early Access on Steam....game development goes slower than originally thought).

Anyways, enough rambling, here's one of the latest gameplay videos on youtube, and you can also download the bedrock beta via steam if you want to play. Note- since the game is still being developed, and is currently in alpha/beta stage, expect some bugs and incomplete work. (It's $25 btw....I personally like early access, it's like im gambling on the success of a game.)

edit on 7-8-2014 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: buni11687

Oh man, thanks for sharing. I was so bummed when I upgraded to Windows 8 and dusted off my old copy of DK2 and it didn't work.

The video (I skimmed) looks to be pretty true to the same concept which means it has to be a blast.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

I've played the alpha/beta, but they really only have a few sandbox maps currently. I think they wont release the actual campaign until the final release. From the looks of it, they seem to have the base of the game 95% complete. I think there's only a few more animations and skins to add until all the creatures and rooms are complete. There's minor creature confusion/pathfinding issues to, but they're relatively minor. I havent cast many spells yet though.

However, the sandbox gameplay is virtually the same as DK2, with a few upgrades. There's kind of a spell, traps, and rooms tree that you can unlock with research in the library. Instead of Warlocks, they're called Cultists now, and they give you points to spend in those, rather than all their studying going towards spells. (Almost all creature names have been changed, and mostly re-skinned)

Portals are the same, dungeon heart's the same, lairs, workshops, etc.... are nearly the same but with different names/skins. Also, the hatchery spawns micropiglets (micropiglets haunt your dungeon "in dungeon voice"), instead of chickens.

They are staying really true to the DK series from what I've seen....and that makes me super happy.
edit on 7-8-2014 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Huge fan of DK 1 and 2.

new topics

top topics

join