It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tulsa Cops, Husband And Wife, Arrested For Killing Teen Daughter's New Boyfriend

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
This is a truly bizarre story. Both of the parents are 24-year veterans of the Tulsa PD. Apparently, a week prior to the shooting, the parents kicked their 18-year-old daughter out of their home and dropped her off in front of a homeless shelter. Then a week later:

NY Daily News - Tulsa teen says her cop parents should ‘rot’ after their arrest for boyfriend's murder

According to the daughter, she and Lake were walking home when a black SUV pulled up and her dad got out, shouting at her.
"I walked away and Jeremy tried to introduce himself, and my dad shot him," KJRH-TV reported.

Lisa Kepler said she ran behind a bush and hid after her father fired shots at her. Then he sped off, she said.

Dad Shannon Kepler, 54, is accused of first-degree murder and shooting with intent to kill. Mom Gina Kepler, 48, is accused of being an accessory to murder.

The daughter said her parents kicked her out of the house the week before and dropped her in front of the Tulsa Day Center for the Homeless. She met Lake there and they began dating. He offered her a place to stay at the home he shared with his aunt, she said.

The Keplers are being held without bail pending the filing of formal charges, police said.

From what I read in this article from local Tulsa station, KJRH, there was some brief arguing between the father and the 19-year-old victim, Jeremy Lake, prior to Shannon Kepler firing approximately six rounds (three at each). Some additional details from the KJRH source:

According to the police report, investigators called the Keplers and spoke with Gina, who said she and her husband would surrender to police, leaving the gun in the trunk of her car; however, investigators have been unable to locate the car and the weapon.

Police say the Keplers are not cooperating with the search for the vehicle and weapon.

Both Shannon and Gina Kepler joined the Tulsa police force Aug. 13, 1990. Shannon Kepler works with the police academy. Gina Kepler is a patrol officer with the Gilcrease Division. Both are now on paid administrative leave until charges are formally filed.

As is alluded to in the NY Daily News title, daughter Lisa had this to say of her parents:

I really hope they rot in prison for a very long time

edit on 2014-8-6 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Things just seem to get weirder every day...
If this has actually happened as reported, the Daughter is right! Let them rot in jail.a reply to: theantediluvian

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian
Stories like this...you just can't reconcile with how the world is supposed to run...
I know - many people have kicked their kids (a kid) out of the house...
But, to then, shoot at them...?
No words

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I don't have kids but I was one and I'd have had to have done something real #ty to be dropped off at a homeless shelter.
But then the story gets worse.
Wow, no words and they are police, I think there should be an investigation in to the last 24 years of both careers to be able to do this I'm sure they'd do a lot of things.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Our sons/daughters/pets are not safe out here. Got killed for just dating a girl, that the parents threw away. Terrible.

edit on 6-8-2014 by DaphneApollo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 01:38 AM
link   

The paid administrative leave is what sickens me most. It just shows how LEO's don't have to worry about things like the rest of us folks. (People who pay their salaries)
edit on 7-8-2014 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 01:51 AM
link   
wow what shocker...so the dead beat parents drop the kid off a homeless center and then get even more enraged when their daughter meets a boy who gives the girl a place to live no less....and these dead beats were cops and had been on the force for 24 years....lock em away and throw away the key

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 02:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
wow what shocker...so the dead beat parents drop the kid off a homeless center and then get even more enraged when their daughter meets a boy who gives the girl a place to live no less....and these dead beats were cops and had been on the force for 24 years....lock em away and throw away the key

That was my first thought too. They wanted her to come crawling home and meeting this man interfered with that.

Don't forget that as police officers these two individuals are well versed in the law. I really hope they at the very least lose the right to carry firearms.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Wow. This hits close to home here in OK. Shocking, even by Tulsa standards. (Weird weird place, also pretty high crime rate from what I've heard from friends who grew up in/live there now.)

However, I've gotta say: There are two sides to every story. My gut tells me that the parents tried dropping the daughter off as a "scared straight" tactic, that then in their eyes backfired when she didn't come crawling back home for help. Can't say I blame her though, this is a pretty damning indictment of their character.

The murder of this young man, and shooting at your own flesh and blood is NOT justified. In any way, shape, or form. There is absolutely no defense for these actions. Time to see how thick or thin that blue line truly is.

From video on KJRH.com linked in OP:

Spokeswoman for Tulsa PD: "Nobody is more shocked than we are, y'know. Our department here, we have a brotherhood, a sisterhood, it's very shocking to us as well. And our detectives that have to investigate this, our officers had to go and arrest (pause) their friends."

The sound of incredulity in the spokeswoman's voice is.... something else.

Anyway, this is probably gonna drag out for a pretty long while, and be all over local news so I'll do what I can to keep us updated on this story.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Stuff like this doesn't surprise me. My dad was a cop when I was little and he was an absolute ****head control freak for more than half my life.
I hope the parents get life, and not in protective custody either. The inmates can show 'em who the real tough guys are. It doesn't matter what the circumstances are, you don't shoot at your own daughter after murdering her boyfriend.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Well if people are being harassed by the Swat team over raw milk then this shouldn't be surprising.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
This is a bizarre story, Why send your 18 year old daughter to a homeless shelter, maybe to teach her a lesson. If drugs were inolved then they may have been trying to show the daughter where drugs may lead you. To bad the didnt teach themselves that killing someone makes you end up in a far worse place. This is shameful, and they deserve to be punished to the fullest. I feel so sorry for the young guy who was obviously just trying to help the young daughter.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Double Post sorry
edit on 7-8-2014 by Glassbender777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
This just doesn't sound right to me. Why would two experienced cops shoot someone like claimed? There's more to this story than's being told.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Its an "honor killing"... country style.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere

Its an "honor killing"... country style.

Honestly, that was the first thing that popped into my head. The details of the incident seem completely irrational and I'm really interested to find out what the parents' story will be.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   

I'm starting to wonder if the cops in the US are some kind of inferior geneticly modified breed of humans that the elite use to spread dometic terror, they're like rabid security dogs that get fed roids in there kibble. They need put down.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Bizarre? ...rot in jail is not enough. That's a severe abuse of power. No human being willingly wearing a badge and carrying a gun should receive a lenient sentence or plea bargain for this kind of crap.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 03:15 AM
link   
They deserve life in prison. At the same prison everyone they arrested goes. No special security for them either.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I was searching for another thread and came across this; I have actually known these (now ex officers) for 15 or so years and they were both in wonderful graces with the dept., the court date has been pushed back;

there is m u c h more to the story; the trial shall determine the future for both officers.

top topics

join