It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Odd figure shaped anomaly on the Moon.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 04:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rob48
a reply to: Taggart

So "giant statues" can move now? Okaaayy...

Come on, people, it's clearly not a real object on the moon. Apply a little bit of thought.

You can find literally dozens, probably hundreds, of these bits of fluff on the old scanned photos on Google Moon.

There have been lots of threads about them on here too. I linked to one of them.

I was being hypothetical. Of course I unlike some understand the impossibilities however my point stands.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 05:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: RationalHuman
Its a 20 year old picture of the moon taken from 3000 miles away.

I'm surprised we don't see more anomalies like this

Actually, if I have identified the source image correctly, it is a 43-year-old picture taken from about 65 miles above the surface.

I'm pretty sure this is from an Apollo 15 image, eg: wms.lroc.asu.edu...

Here is the same area, at the same time, without the fluff.

Compare to the image in the OP:

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Lady_Tuatha

Google Moon not the best place to look, as Rob48 said a scanned image there are others with similar problems most have been on here at least once if not more.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
That "schmootz" appears in ALL of the few thousand Apollo 15 Mapping (Metric) Camera Images Images -- always in the exact same spot in the frame (upper left of the frame). That leads me to believe it was a piece of debris on the bed of the scanner (these images were all print images that were later scanned into a computer to be digitized), or it was in the original camera when the images were taken.

There was a similar thread about this "spot" a few years ago:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here is the Apollo 15 mapping (Metric) Camera images:
Apollo 15 Mapping (Metric) Images

The location of the spot in all of those images is here (circled):
NOTE: The below image is not hi-res enough to see the spot. This is for location purposes only. Please see images in the link above (the images in the link have a "zoomify" feature); the spot will be in this location on all of those images

edit on 8/7/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/7/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

And there you go. The exact frame used on Google Moon for this spot is AS15-M-1151.

So, turns out I wasn't quite accurate about it being crud on the scanner. It was actually crud caught in the optics of the camera itself.
edit on 7-8-2014 by Rob48 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I just heard about this tonight and had to look it up. I cant believe no one has bothered to measure this man on the moon. I found the coordinates to be different than the video. Presumably mouse movement during the screen capture threw it off. I found him at 27°34'44.13"N 19°36'31.17"W .

Anyway, using googles tools in google moon, I estimate this man to stand at approximately 543 feet in height. Also, if you rotate the image just right and zoom it, the surface of the moon in that area resembles Joe Camel.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I had a scary moment thinking my recent post in this thread had been deleted by the mods, but it turns out that there are basically two different threads about the same subject, and I posted in the other one. Here's the other thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

And, since I love 3d anaglyphs so much, here's one of the area where the "man" appears:

That's the Lambert crater, it punched quite a hole in the Moon.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: drewlander
I just heard about this tonight and had to look it up. I cant believe no one has bothered to measure this man on the moon. I found the coordinates to be different than the video. Presumably mouse movement during the screen capture threw it off. I found him at 27°34'44.13"N 19°36'31.17"W .

Anyway, using googles tools in google moon, I estimate this man to stand at approximately 543 feet in height. Also, if you rotate the image just right and zoom it, the surface of the moon in that area resembles Joe Camel.

The "Man" appears in every image of the moon taken from the Apollo 15 mapping camera (always in the exact same place in the image frame but NOT in the exact same place on the moon), so every place this appears in all of those images will be at a different longitude and latitude.

That's because the object isn't really on the Moon, but is an artifact of the images (maybe a spot on the scanner bed that was used to scan these film images into digital, or maybe a spot on the camera itself.

Here are the Apollo 15 mapping (Metric) Camera images. If you know where to look (in a portion of the upper left, as I showed in an earlier post), you could find the "man" in almost all of these images, no matter of which part of the Moon the picture was taken:

Apollo 15 Mapping (Metric) Images

edit on 8/13/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Yep, I found him on several images. That fella sure likes to get around.
There are also black dots and other image artifacts that are the same from image to image.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
This "sighting" has made it to the Daily Mail. They do like to get their woo fix from ATS!

Link

I did post an explanation in the comments but it has been buried, of course...
edit on 13-8-2014 by Rob48 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Discussed a while back:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

AS15-M-1155
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/857d7a1f0126.png[/atsimg]

Here he is in the image before that one
AS15-M-1154
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c5ea479bdd30.png[/atsimg]

Here he is on the image after that one.
AS15-M-1156
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b6c007db3ed9.png[/atsimg]

apollo.sese.asu.edu...
edit on 8/13/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
This "artifact" may have been discussed or posted before, but can this be identified? Link to source I'd also like to determine the size of this object. What is the scale for those images on LROC?

Link to larger ATS image

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Bilk22

Edited for better viewing

Link

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Can you clue us in to where in the large TIFF file that object is located? I have scrolled around but couldn't spot it.

As for the scale, the resolution is given as 0.56 metres per pixel in the original TIFF file.
edit on 13-8-2014 by Rob48 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Can you clue us in to where in the large TIFF file that object is located? I have scrolled around but couldn't spot it.

Lower right. It would be a lot more interesting if there weren't other rocks in the general area that look a lot like it.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

Lower right. It would be a lot more interesting if there weren't other rocks in the general area that look a lot like it.
You mean like these two "rocks"?

Also, why would that make it more interesting? Based on the shadow and the scale referenced above, that's a "towering rock". Odd rectilinear shape at the top in addition to the shape of the object itself. Quite unlike the other "rocks" you mention. No?

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

As for the scale, the resolution is given as 0.56 metres per pixel in the original TIFF file.
So what tool do I use to measure the pixels to determine the size?

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I just downloaded the TIFF file (272MB!) and zoomed in to pixel level in Photoshop.

I make that about 20 pixels north to south, so about 11 metres.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

I just downloaded the TIFF file (272MB!) and zoomed in to pixel level in Photoshop.

I make that about 20 pixels north to south, so about 11 metres.
OK thx. The object is 26m x 26m. ( 85' x 85' ) The shadow length can determine the height of the object based on the known angle of the sun. I don't know how to obtain the angle of the sun from the timestamp of the pic. I'm sure Phage can help with that

edit on 77434Wednesdayk22 by Bilk22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bilk22
]OK thx. The object is 26m x 26m. ( 85' x 85' )

Check again. More like about 26 x 21 pixels, or about 12 x 15 metres.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join