It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Photo....Help Explain, Please

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

I’m hoping the technical minds here can help me explain a strange anomaly in a photo taken two weeks ago. I’m at a loss myself, but I lack knowledge in this area. From the threads I've read concerning strange photographs, I’m confident ATS has an expertise base that can readily answer my question.

The scenario: My family and I were in Savannah, GA and went on a ghost tour. I love these things, simply because the paranormal fascinates me. However, I've never experienced anything overtly paranormal in nature and consider myself quite skeptical.
I digress; back to the ghost tour.

The tour started at 9:00 p.m. and consisted of walking from place to place in the historical district of Savannah. I instructed (okay, demanded) my husband use his cell phone’s camera and take pics constantly, which he did. This is SOP when we go on one of these tours, and we've never seen anything on a photo that can’t be explained as a bug or something else.

We stopped to hear a story (which I forget now) and hubs is clicking away with his phone. The way he takes the photos is to hold his thumb on the button, so that the camera photographs automatically. Snap, snap, snap, snap…like that.

He took these (and several more) while facing across the street to where the tour guide claimed the story took place. The pics were taken in succession, as previously mentioned. In only one photo did we find anything of interest: a blue light that appears to streak across the top, on a slightly downward trajectory. The light does not appear in any of the other pics, before or after. He checked the photos while we were listening and showed me the anomaly, so while we waited to continue the tour we did our best to find a source of the light. So far as we can tell, there wasn't anything. No blue lights of any kind, the surrounding area was mostly dark, and fairly devoid of any activity. The light didn't reappear again in the ten minutes or so we were watching.

To add a little clarification, this light was NOT seen by anyone and there were about 25 of us, all looking in the same direction. We only noticed it after we checked the pics. I, personally, was facing the same direction the entire time and never noticed a thing. After we found the light in the pic, hubs purposefully took another 30 or so trying to capture it again. He said he could see the light on his phone's screen but could not capture it again. I was beside him, looking for the blue flash, and never saw it.

Some incidentals that are probably important: the pics were taken without flash, on a Droid phone (if necessary I can find out more info).

I’m posting three pics; the pic immediately before the streak, the streak pic, and the pic taken immediately after. Hubs estimates the time between each pic was about half a second, but I’m not sure about that.

Any and all suggestions/explanations welcome. Thanks, ATS!

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: smyleegrl

Well, that's what happens on paranormal tours.

That is why they are paranormal.

But then, we'll see what people say.
I've done a paranormal tour, and got some weird pictures, so I can relate to your HMMMM.....

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
To me, it looks like a lens flare from the lamp post in the first picture. That would be the mundane explanation.

The other options would be, ufo plasma flare, fairy, or light refracting off swamp gas from Venus. Doesn't look like ectoplasm to me, so I would rule that out.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Skada

Lens flare. I've heard the term many a time, but I'm not completely sure I understand it. Can you explain further?

ETA:

Did a little reading online and, from the photo examples of lens flare, I'm not yet convinced this is simply lens flare. All the photos I saw of lens flare had a more solid flare, not an image where the light seems to fade in one area. I do not claim any understanding of lens flare, however, so you may very well be right.

We did consider that the light appears to possibly originate from the mid-right section of the photo, most likely off screen. We could not find a source, however.
edit on 5-8-2014 by smyleegrl because: clarification

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skada
The other options would be, ufo plasma flare, fairy, or light refracting off swamp gas from Venus. Doesn't look like ectoplasm to me, so I would rule that out.

Let's not be so quick to throw out ectoplasm. After all, it does have a tendency to show up in photographs taken with cameras that have a slightly wider spectrum sensitivity than the human eye. And if there were active spirits in the area, they might be throwing off some ectoplasm, since we recognize it as a semi-physical emination byproduct of manifestation activities.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

I merged the first and the second pic together. I had to make the 2nd a bit transparent to line them up as perfect as I could. The Blue light comes almost directly from the light source.

I'm not saying that is what it is with complete certainty, as I have had many "interesting experiences" myself. However, at this point, it would seem that this is the most likely explanation. I really wish you had caught some orbs, or something, that would have been very interesting.

In my experience, ectoplasm on photos are usually not straight lines. They look like smoke, or webs.
edit on 8/5/2014 by Skada because: spelling, wrong word

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   

You know, with the way you stitched that together, it almost looks like a light coming out of a window on that building. Like someone shined a halogen light out a window in some fog.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Well done! After your explanation and seeing the photos lined up in such a way, I'm fairly satisfied it was a lens flare. Thank you for doing that, its much appreciated.

Personally, photos of orbs disappoint me simply because most of the ones I've seen can easily be explained as bugs or dust in the air. That's a personal opinion, however.

From your statement about ectoplasm, I take it you've seen it captured on film before. May I ask why you considered ectoplasm as the answer? I'm asking with all sincerity and respect.

Grateful thanks!

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

Another good idea, but it wasn't foggy. I did wonder if someone had shined a light but since we didn't see it again, wasn't sure.

I knew coming to ATS was the right thing to do.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   

I got an orb for ya...

(that was also taken on a paranormal tour)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   

The magic of paint.net

It could be from the building behind the light. I doubt it. It could be a lens flare, as it seems to be coming from the lamp. But, again, I'm not ruling out paranormal possibilities. Now, that I look at the original with the blue light, it does kinda look like smoke, but the straight lines on the upper and lower lead me to go with the lamp/street light. Plus the lamp is like a yellow/orange hue, which (i think) would cause the blue streak with out the lamp being in the pict. better ask some photo experts, for I am not one.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   

That's an interesting pic. Can you tell the circumstances of the photo?

Got more? This is fascinating.
edit on 5-8-2014 by smyleegrl because: changed my mind

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: smyleegrl

From your statement about ectoplasm, I take it you've seen it captured on film before. May I ask why you considered ectoplasm as the answer? I'm asking with all sincerity and respect.

Grateful thanks!

One time, my son (who was less then 3 yrs old at the time) and I were at a courthouse around christmas. We posed for a picture and to the right of us (in the pic) there was a distinct puff of smoke that had the shape of Santa's head complete with the cap and ball. There was no one near us in the pict, no smoke, nothing. But it showed up on the film. I wish I could find that pic, but it was over 12 years ago.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Wow. I don't know if I find that really fascinating or slightly creepy. Perhaps a bit of both.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Here is the bigger picture:

And then this:

(now with slight contrast and brightness adjustments)

(We took these at The Palmer House in Minnesota)
We had several things happen while we were there, was the best time ever!

edit on 5-8-2014 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

It is what it is. This is why I try to come up with multiple possibilities and don't dismiss "paranormal" out of hand.

What you think is paranormal, has been my normal.

For instance. My girl wanted to take a pic of me, but I was not ready, so I said, "Wait, not yet!" and immediately lowered my head. Now, please note that the flash was on and did flash during this pic.

edit on 8/5/2014 by Skada because: added pic.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   

I'd call that dust. I mean look at the place. Dust must be all over.

But that's just my opinion

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
You can also tell there is a bit of motion blur, as well. I agree with the lens flare. It is coming almost exactly from the light source in the previous pic, throw in a little motion blur, and you have a photographic anomaly.

It looks cool, though!

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skada

It is what it is. This is why I try to come up with multiple possibilities and don't dismiss "paranormal" out of hand.

What you think is paranormal, has been my normal.

For instance. My girl wanted to take a pic of me, but I was not ready, so I said, "Wait, not yet!" and immediately lowered my head. Now, please note that the flash was on and did flash during this pic.

That also happens when you partially cover the flash

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Hellas

She didn't cover the flash at all. She is quite anal about her camera and when she takes picts. That photo is unaltered.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join