It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We are ALL smokers now!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

originally posted by: TDawgRex
I would definitely watch the Food Channel (though I would have to hook up cable again) if they had a show for "Cooking for One."

I find cooking for many to be easy.

A vacuum sealer would be of the most help. That way you could freeze and reheat and still have reasonable quality food.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

I'm wondering if you're fat man writing this?
Anyway, it's a good idea. Just like they should be using the taxes levied on cigarettes to fund cancer research and provide treatment costs.
But that's not what it's for. It's about money.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

Pasta and Rice in todays age are not also life savers in western markets. They can sustain life, but only to a point.
edit on 4-8-2014 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

As I said on another post, I wouldn't recommend anyone cooking three times a day.

For those on tight budgets I recommend cooking 2 to 3 times a week using batch cooking, a pressure cooker reduces the time even more. When cooked the batch is refrigerated and can be microwaved in individual portions.

The quality of the Tesco 'basic' range is good. The rice is just the same, the pasta the same, the veg etc all good quality. Most of the food cost at supermarkets is due to packaging and shape /size uniformity of veg. The carrots might be a funny shape the aubergine all sizes but the quality is graded as first, same as other packs of veg.

Some of the best meals I have ever made, were using these more cost effective ingredients when I was on a tight budget.

The other main supermarkets have similar ranges at similar prices.

Some examples of the products mentioned.

www.tesco.com...
www.tesco.com...
www.tesco.com...
www.tesco.com...
www.tesco.com...
www.tesco.com...

edit on 4-8-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   

I never anywhere recommended eating just those.

If you read it again I gave a comprehensive list including all the food groups, veg, protein included.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam

originally posted by: TDawgRex
I would definitely watch the Food Channel (though I would have to hook up cable again) if they had a show for "Cooking for One."

I find cooking for many to be easy.

A vacuum sealer would be of the most help. That way you could freeze and reheat and still have reasonable quality food.

I have a vacuum sealer, but palate wise, it only goes so far. Canning is the same and it's still hit and miss making jerky. It's a annoyingly happy learning curve.

I'm trying to learn all this because of a possible situation (SHTF). But day to day living, I like fresh food.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

WOW. Unless I have the exchange rate wrong, those prices are much better than what I find in my area of the US.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   

I batch cook and batch can. But I must admit that I LIKE fresh. There really isn't a place for people like me, and I think that's the way they (the grocers) like it. Sell them more than they can consume, and cannot can and they will be back for more.

It's a win for them either way.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   

No question FRESH is always better.

I feel the same.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   

If you have a freezer, make batches and freeze them in freezer bags or 3 day batches and refrigerate.

A basic minced beef, tomato puree, garlic, veg batch can be a pasta bolognese using herbs, the next day made into a chilli with adding chillies, a curry the next day, fry some spices then add the mixture.

A batch of cooked rice can be frozen individually, and the meat /veg sauce mixture cooked fresh if preferred, in only a few minutes of cooking.

Fresh soups can be made in less than 20 minutes, it will keep for 3 days in a refrigerator, portions can be reheated in a microwave. Adding lentils / barley / dried beans etc and some spices to soups makes a meal in itself, similar to a dhal or adding meat for a cassoulet type meal.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

I don't buy frozen food anymore or even use the freezer at all, we eat fresh but we can do it in batches, just selective weekly shopping for fresh veg, for example one week could be more mixed peppers, another week more courgette, depending on the veg, all varied dishes, just using the same veg.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

We have 'supermarket wars' here where the main 4 supermarkets are in competition and food prices matter to people so they have to offer good value with quality.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth
If you have a freezer, make batches and freeze them in freezer bags or 3 day batches and refrigerate.

A basic minced beef, tomato puree, garlic, veg batch can be a pasta bolognese, the next day made into a chilli with adding chillies, a curry the next day, fry some spices then add the mixture.

The general concept behind what you explain is exactly what I do. It's a really smart way to use food.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: wtf2008

you are only counting federal taxes - you left out provincial taxes.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   

To be truthful, I am trying to return to my roots as a kid. My Grand folks canned or cool stored everything. Almost everything they bought at a local market was for the week, and the week only. That leads to a pretty dry palate.

I've traveled, and have sampled plenty of other cultures foods, many of which I like.

How do I store that, or do I just write it off?

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   

I guess most foods can be prepared and either vacuum packed or canned, if that's your preference. Glass jars are probably preferable to tin cans IMO. I think tinned food tastes odd, we avoid it.

I guess if it's for storage long term then vacuum sealed or freeze drying even, might be better, armed forces style.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
See, here's the thing - It's my life and none of anyone else's business how I choose to live it. I could smoke or eat crap for all the business of yours it is. We are supposed to have personal liberty here and take responsibility for ourselves and our choices, good or bad.

It's none of my business what you choose to do with yourself, and it's certainly none of your business to come walking in and try to tell me that you know better how I should live my life and attempt to compel me to do so. Who died and made you god?

and how many of these people push for gov funded abortion that actually guarantees a death?
i've paid plenty of cig tax above and beyond normal taxes.
i would expect i have paid enough for a lung transplant in the 47 yrs i been buying them.

i don't drink soda, haven't probably since the 80's. beer is where it's at baby!

so i wonder if these people are really looking out for our health.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: MALBOSIA
People have been smoking one thing or another on this land longer than we had toilet paper.

Pop on the other hand knocked out 6 teeth before I turned 30. That stuff is evil. OUUT!!!

Tooth decay, obesity, bone porosity, acid reflux, diabetes, depression and death; to name just a few of the "Real Things" coke causes.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

Ah yes.... the ever so lovely "sin" tax.

Whoever thought that one up was a fricken genius. The sin tax makes for a great catchall and can be applied to damn near anything their little hearts desire - they just have to call it "sinful".

Guilting the populous into complying with an additional tax revenue. Something that the self righteous suckers people are more than happy to support, all the while patting themselves on the back.

The term "sin" has been used for centuries as a way of controlling/enslaving the masses. It seems to work quite nicely.

Yup, fricken genius invention.

Before you know it, pretty soon everything is going to be a "sin".... and thereby heavily taxed under the guise of "guilt by association".

Death and taxes, man.
Death and taxes.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   

I might as well have stock in the Ball company with all the jars I have bought. Most of which are filled.

Haven't tried the freeze dried thing though yet. But yea, sounds like a MRE on the cheap.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join