It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man who filmed NYPD choke hold video arrested on weapons charges

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
from link..
(Reuters) - A man who filmed a New York City police officer use a choke hold on a suspect who later died has been arrested on weapons charges, law enforcement officials said on Sunday.

Ramsey Orta, 22, and a 17-year-old female were spotted on Saturday outside a known drug location on Staten Island by narcotics officers who saw Orta put a handgun in his companion's waistband, the New York Police Department said.

Orta, who has a previous criminal conviction, faces two charges of criminal possession of a weapon.

At some point during his arrest, Orta told officers, "You're just mad because I filmed your boy," an NYPD spokeswoman said.

news.yahoo.com...

i Definitely feel this was payback. Not saying this dude is not guilty but i bet they been following him just waiting to catch him in the wrong place.. And i love the know drug location if they know about why don't they end it? Maybe a constant stream of money and arrests for the city?

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: switchqm8

yeaaaa, that's called retaliation. granted the guy is a complete IDIOT for doing anything illegal after causing so much of a stir with police. but, honestly that would be the first thing i would have expected after filming some cops choking some asthmatic dude to death on the sidewalk for "selling loosies"

they were probably tailing his ass waiting for the perfect moment to slap the cuffs on. and he gave it to them. he shoulda known better. because now they are going to try and completely murder this guys character. but, at least they can't change what he caught on film.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: CallmeRaskolnikov

granted the guy is a complete IDIOT for doing anything illegal after causing so much of a stir with police.

If he did do anything wrong.

I could believe that they framed him up for this one.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Yes he should of stayed of the down low for a while or visited friends or family out of NY for a bit. I would not put it pass them to set him up at all..He made it a bit easy for them if he did have a gun .

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
If he wasn't in a dope neighborhood and buying dope with a gun in a city that thinks of guns as something worse than plutonium sprinkled on a Birthday cake? I might believe him...

There are two problems here though. The 'In for a penny, in for a pound' adage comes to mind and retaliation would be an actionable thing for his lawyer to gleefully add to any the case like surprise gifts at Christmas.

Keeping that fact in mind, would cops singling him out for revenge simply have a routine arrest for a routine dope issue? No tune up when no one is looking? No screen test at a red light on the way to the precinct? Not even raccoon eyes to show for it?

I think the NYPD has just under 35,000 cops on the payroll and this guy has some enormous delusions of his own self importance if he thinks a city like that has them all looking for him over a video from being in the right or wrong place at that moment.
edit on 8/4/2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Choke-hold ruled as homicide

I can't seem to find the vid wifey showed me, the one that the guy in OP is...
he claimed he has his camera recording everything, all the time.

I'll wager his camera equipment has been neutralized, and there's no vid of actual contact.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

Have you ever been in NY. they could consider just about most parts a know drug location it is an excuses for illegal searches. I used to go to the all the time for various reasons and having jersey plates got me pulled over and harassed many times when i was doing was taking flicks of graffiti and guess what a lot of the time graff is in the "bad" areas but also been harassed in upper Manhattan as well just saying...Also NY has those illegal stop and frisk laws ...
edit on 4-8-2014 by switchqm8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Yes, I have been to New York City. As a trucker. I once joked with my wife that we needed a NYC home addy to insure the dispatchers never sent us there again for how often I was there for a number of years.

One of my better friends is also a retired NYPD detective with some fascinating stories of his view to some very high profile cases similar to this one.

It's bad enough to assume all 800,000 or so professional officers in America are corrupt. (It wouldn't be safe to go for groceries if that were even close to true). To suggest a department of over 34,000 cops have a thing for one amateur photo bug says more about him than the cops he's suggesting it about.

When walking on eggs? Don't hop. When in a glass house, don't throw rocks. This guy did both and is mad he didn't coast because of his filming. Tough. He of all people should have been more careful in his decisions.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: CallmeRaskolnikov

granted the guy is a complete IDIOT for doing anything illegal after causing so much of a stir with police.

If he did do anything wrong.

I could believe that they framed him up for this one.

yea, in all honesty, i wouldnt be surprised if that were the case either. sad, but true.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
If the man were guilty of what the NYTD claims he is and I were on the jury, I'd nullify the jury.
"Shall not be infringed", I believe no gun should be illegal anywhere inside the US.
NYTD (new York terrorist department).

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I never said ALL police are bad but there are more then a few bad ones. I have meet a few good NY cops. also been going to NY a lot i used to work for Todd McFarlaine/spawn in his Manhattan toy show studio. But i also seen and dealt with the bad ones. My attitude on the police it is like this If a buddy ask me to take him to the store and i do and he decides to rob that store and then jumps in my car i will be held accountable for what he did as an accomplice even though i had no clue what he was going to do it is guilty by association... So when so called good cops stand around and watch their brother in blue say choke someone to death i say they are also guilty of being accomplices for not stopping it..Their badges do not make them better then us they are supposed to work for us. But that has not been the case for a long time. I remember when they were called PEACE officers now they are Law ENFORCEMENT. When the name changed so did the attitudes..

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: loveguy

How apt that the man filmimg gets to jail for a gun

Before the cop makes it to jail for murder

Ahhh america
edit on am820143110America/ChicagoMon, 04 Aug 2014 10:05:17 -0500_8000000 by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
you know what, it is sad but a that the choke hold killed the one guy.
but it is also clear that the guy was gonna do his best to keep from being arrested.

you can't watch the video and deny that. he was resisting, and when there are that many cops around you unless your chuck norris, your gonna go to jail. might as well quit fighting and not get hurt or other charges that will cause you to stay longer and make it harder on yourself.

as far as the guy filming it,what this tells me he is frequents places where illegal activity takes place. what are the chances of being at one place where a guy is selling illegal cigs, then being in a place that is a known for drugs. law abiding citizens don't do that unless they are trying to help people break the cycle, and then there are usually lots of other people that can vouch for your presence there. this guy has no one that i read vouching for him.

if you listen to the guy that got choked, one thing they always say is "I didn't do nothing" and then if you listen you hear him say the "i told you the last time leave me alone." so this tells me he was no stranger to the cops and had probably been warned or arrested more than once for the crime.
edit on 4-8-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
best defense for this guy. "after witnessing police murdering a man, i felt i needed to be able to protect myself from the police, they are armed with guns, so i felt i needed to equally arm myself against them". or some variation, would work even better if the cops threatened him about the taping at some point.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie
Have you ever been in a situation where you feared for your life? It is human nature to defend ones self no matter who is attacking you. What about Tazers or pepper spray they also have bean bag shots a bunch of non lethal ways to arrest some one..They were more then likely afraid of him because he was a big dude...A few stats for you....
www.policemisconduct.net...
www.copblock.org...
www.aclu.org...
www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
FWIW before I go hopping back to a very enjoyable vacation again...

It happens that my father was among the cops serving in a major city department way back when choke holds were trained (or at least tolerated, depending on where) and considered a fairly decent idea in a crisis moment. For whatever reason, he also figured I should know how to do them when I was old enough to start getting into fist fights (oh, that dates me..I know) and finding a need to sometimes just turn someones lights out like a switch. It does too..... If it's done properly. If it's not, then there are two distinctly different ways which doing it wrong can kill the person. One appears to have happened here. What the NYPD officer did was absolutely not a proper choke hold. It's almost negligent homicide, IMHO, depending on what the autopsy shows for neck and throat/airway damage. It's also why, as I heard a thousand times growing up around cops, they banned the use of them. Too easy in a hot moment to ....screw up.

I say that to make clear, I'm not even near saying what happened there was right. A man died and he shouldn't have. No question.

The problem we have with the subject of the story here though is, if he was doing what he got the attention of a police unit for? He wasn't a citizen flaunting NYC gun permit laws. He was also a criminal with a gun, presumably to support his defense while committing alleged crimes. Couldn't he have gone to Jersey? Anywhere? The case he filmed will turn on much more than his film, IMO....but he gets himself busted like that? Wow... I mean, people carry guns BECAUSE of people like him, if his alleged activity is accurate. It doesn't make his film wrong...but it does make his arrest correct, IMO.

We'll see in time I suppose. (waves carrots and vanishes)

new topics

top topics

join