It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey y’all, what’s wrong with a drawl?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex

originally posted by: BerenstEiner
And on the other side of town it sounds half Surfer and part Canadian/ Spanish. That's the only way I can describe it .

Now that I would love to hear!

Come to Albuquerque.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cruithneach

originally posted by: grainofsand
I love accents, they are what stops us all in the UK sounding like 1950's BBC news presenters - or even the current BBC world service news readers, I don't know anyone who actually speaks like that.
My accent is from South Wales and although I've tempered it a bit during my years living in England (so I didn't have to keep repeating myself) I love the rural Devon accent when I go a mile or so inland from where I am on the SW coast, it is a really friendly sounding lilt to it.

I don't ever judge anyone on their accent, or dialect, just the words they use to convey their message, that's all that matters to me. Although I have struggled to understand some folk from Glasgow quite a few times, and got a little bit annoyed inside sometimes when said Glasgow person is too lazy to even attempt to pronounce words in a way that is closer to the accepted and universal form of English we all know and understand.

Funny that a Welshman would say this about Glaswegians, when the Welsh are known to ostentatiously speak their language around the English and other "foreigners", solely out of spite.

I was wondering when some one came along with a grudge. What's got your goat concerning accents? i honestly don't know why people in the UK don't learn a bit a Gaelic when they're young. It is common over there after all. In certain parts anyways. It's not like it's a gang language.

I'm in the US and can understand them....why can't you?

You can speak Welsh? That's.... very interesting. The language sounds like one long stream of lyyyffwllllwelllyyn, foreigners would have an extremely difficult time learning it I imagine.

He says Glaswegians are "lazy" for not trying to suppress their accents when talking to him, when ironically the Welsh are known for intentionally making themselves hard to understand, especially around English people. Just ask any Brit, they will confirm what I'm saying about the Welsh is true.
edit on 4-8-2014 by Cruithneach because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Cruithneach

I had a welsh room mate in the US Army, (On his way to becoming a citizen) He taught me. And yes, he did tell me that many did speak welsh, just to piss off their cousins, but that it was mostly in fun.

And I can sympathize with ya. There are many Spanish media outlets here in the US. Billboards, radio, and TV.

But it is what it is, you can learn how to communicate, or not.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Nothing brings a smile to my face than seeing a pretty Asain girl saying, "But Momma, them thar shoes just ain't in fashion no moe." Or a Mexican asking for my order in a Mexican restaurant in Germany, in german yet.
To me, that is a great feeling!

Weirdest linguistic challenge I've ever heard...listened to a German newscast and there was the craziest accent. Finally figured it out...German spoken with a Scots burr.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

Yup, it really is a regular loony bin down here.

A simulated accent typed out via post doesn't really get to me, but nice try.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
In the northern part of my state, we sound a little Irish and Scottish, but in the southern part of WV they sound 'southern'. It is bizarre to me. But the accent that really makes me wanna stab myself in the ear with a screw driver is the Michigan accent(no offense). When I worked in the white water business those were the worst Yankees of all to deal with and most people at the company agreed. Just rude, nasty -most of them. But then again, most Ney Yorkers were like that too. But I typically changed a lot of views as I was told this many times. Made some great friends from all over the world.

Another accent is the news anchor one. That nasal whine that all those dudes have irks the hell outta me. I actually asked someone who would know why there weren't anyone with a hillbilly accent on the local news medias instead of the New Yorker ones and he said: "why would anyone want to listen to that". It makes no sense to me why were shut out of most things like that. Unless of course, some politician hires some "hick" actors so that they can try and get a vote.

Talk at chall later
edit on 5-8-2014 by Fylgje because: to add

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Fylgje

you know... my husband is what people consider a hillbilly too. I LOVE his accent, when I first talked with him I couldn't understand a word he was saying... but his voice and accent was hot, I mean... lol... violating the T&C's type.

He did have to repeat himself a lot, when I was trying to understand him I had to say "huh?" lots and even with repeats sometimes I was only piecing together what he was saying, missing a word here and there.

But seriously, I could listen to his voice and accent forever, wouldn't even need to understand him ever, although I can understand him fine now... but yeah...

I love it. I don't find it ignorant to have an accent at all... everyone does to their own degree, some are just hotter than others.

edit on 5-8-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
You're ex girlfriend sounds like a egotistic materialistic bitch.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I would say I have a southern accent, not a very strong one. I am an engineer and heavily into mathematics. Over my lifetime, people with differing dialects from the predominant one in an area get degraded. If you are southern, don't go to a northern high school, you will regret it. Also, if you are a southerner and have to go up north for employment, in these days of the competitive work environment you will have a difficult time.

Recently I had a conversation with someone on the phone with a heavy northeastern accent. Sounded like one of the west side gang. I had to ask several times to repeat what he said. My impression of him was not of high intelligence.
edit on 5-8-2014 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fylgje
I actually asked someone who would know why there weren't anyone with a hillbilly accent on the local news medias instead of the New Yorker ones and he said: "why would anyone want to listen to that".

I was in Cuba in '89 and met a woman from France. I mentioned that my daughter was in French immersion in school, and that the teachers were often from Quebec. Her response was that "having someone from Quebec teaching French was like having a hillbilly teach English."

How very French of her...lol!

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I recently met a gentleman at work who worked at the nearby base and he was talking and very chatty. While I listened to him conversing with a coworker I started to pay attention to his voice and for the life of me, I could not figure out where he was from or what kind of accent he had. I finally joined the conversation and asked him where he was from, but of course he wasn't going to let it be that easy; he asked me to guess.

I thought about it and he kind of reminded me of a Midwesterner in a way so I asked him, are you from the upper Midwest? He said, "Close, guess again." So, I thought about it some more and asked him if he was from Canada and he replied that he spent a majority of time growing up in Jamaica but he was originally from Canada. That was the strangest accent I've ever heard.

Of course, he was a talker and liked to hear his own voice I believe but very, very funny. I told him he missed his calling; he should have been a stand-up comic. Apparently, he was a "military brat" and traveled the world. Explains a lot. Quite fascinating meeting people from everywhere. My cast of characters continues to grow.
edit on 6-8-2014 by queenofsheba because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   

LOL Michiganders have an accent? Maybe the Upers, I can see that, but geez, my southern friends tell us we have a pretty boring way of speaking, as far as other states go.

Come up here to the middle of the mitten. We are very friendly!!!!

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I find the Bostonian accent similar to ours in some ways so it doesn't really bother me at all. Some Canadians talk a lot like us(not the frenchy ones). There's a lot of Canadians who are very country-like(redneck) whether they wanna admit it or not. But I guess all over the world country folk are seen as hillbillies and city folk claim they are smarter than everybody else
This is just a human condition. But what some see or hear as annoying, others find attractive. Different strokes for different folks. But I think it's important to always give everybody a chance no matter how they talk or look instead of deeming them all the same. Person-to-person basis works for me.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom

LOL Michiganders have an accent? Maybe the Upers, I can see that, but geez, my southern friends tell us we have a pretty boring way of speaking, as far as other states go.

Come up here to the middle of the mitten. We are very friendly!!!!

I'd love to visit there. I want to experience every state before I die.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
William from Chicago asks: canu give me directions to da piggly wiggly?

Joe DonBillyBobBaker responds: You tawlk funny.

William: Sir do you know how to get to the piggly wiggly from here?

JoeDon: I recon.

William: Are you gonna tell me?

JoeDon: Well yens all need to drive down da road a piece, an you gotta turn at da mulberry patch, yers ago a tanker truk carryin a load of pig patties jack knifed and explooded on dat inersection and since den dem mulberrys growthen up der on dat spot. Den you drive down yonder a bit till you see Cletus coon dogs. Cletus is muh wifes cuzin 3 times removed an we all give him dat yella couch on his porch. Aftr turnin at Cletus house you gotta keep on down da road a spell, you wil no yer close when you pass Shelly house, she is from Missoura, but I recon that rash has cleared up by now.

William: Canu giv me the name of the street signs?

JoeDon: signs? we don't need no g-d signs you think we are city slickers? da piggly wiggly is just over there a piece (JoeDon points)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

Yep kind of like "hangin in like a hair in a biscuit "= things are OK or " my belly button is rubbin a blister on my back bone"= I'm hoooooongurrrrrry "

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

I think this says it all

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: hillbilly4rent

you know, that is true for anyone and everyone. It's the secret to happiness - seriously. No matter who you are, you have people judging you - labeling you.

I'm not a hillbilly but I know what it is like for everyone to judge me, tell me I'm stupid, or need to be told how to live because I apparently couldn't manage my own life and choices, and I learned in life how to thumb my nose at them all - and do what makes me happy.

I tried life their way, and even let them make me feel like I was less somehow, than I really was... and it sucked. Every single moment of that sucked. I woke up one day and realized that I'm smart, and have the ability to live my own life and whats more, that my choices are my own and not anyone else's to make.

Anyone and everyone who had a problem with it, including my own family, I just walked away from, and began to live. Now, I'm so damn happy and I'd do it again, and again - should have decided only I know what I am and how to live my life long before I did.

But I found my secret to happiness - To thine own self be true. Everyone else can get screwed if they don't like it or think they can judge it.

edit on 7-8-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join