It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Man Left Behind. Unless He's Sick.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   
"Americans. They're afraid of anything they can't shoot!" snorts my neighbor from San Salvador.

"Americans are supposed to be so brave and so good. I don't think so. They don't even care about other Americans," declares a friend's son.

"Are the American sheeple crossed with barnyard chickens?" asks a foreign newspaper. "Something happens, one starts squawking and suddenly everyone's tweeting and panicking and telling everyone else the very same thing, "The sky is falling!" They should live with American bombs falling on them everyday. Then maybe they'll learn what makes a real threat."

Even some Americans are embarrassed.

America, Ebola, and Fear

America, the land of the free, the home of the brave, is in a social-media panic because Dr. Kent Brantly, the 33-year-old Indiana physician who contracted Ebola while battling it in Liberia, is coming home as he struggles to hang onto life. This fear-laden response to a true American hero is out of touch with the fundamental principles of this country.

The Internet is afire with protest, and the misleading headlines stating that Ebola is being brought to the U.S. spread more fear but no understanding or empathy.

…Brantly himself makes me proud to be both an American and a physician….

This kind of fear is un-American. Rescuing our heroes is our tradition.

edit on 3/8/14 by soficrow because: corrected misquote, friend's son

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   

seems like someone is playing plague inc.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   
This kind of fear is not un-American at all. Fear is the root of what it means to be a American. There is a reason our military dwarfs everyones globally, of why we have such rigid testing on our food, water, etc to make sure its ok to ingest, etc.
Fear however isn't a negative thing, not always...fear that breeds sensible action is good...its good we test the foods and water..that is sensible.

The question is, are we being sensible about our views of this plague...do we feel we can create safety while bringing the sick back home. I don't know...can we? do we know enough about the disease to give it a shot? From what I have read, it seems we do, however, what I read may not be the whole story.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

Why don't one of those brave countries I hear so much about heal him then?

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: AnuTyr

Sorry. Boring.

But thanks.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Thanks for posting. S&

...There is a reason ...why we have such rigid testing on our food, water, etc to make sure its ok to ingest, etc.

You're kidding, right? You're talkin' to the Queen of Bio-Terrors - as you well know. Our testing is NOT rigid: our food is highly suspect and generally contaminated (new and emerging pathogens were actually removed from the FDA's purview back-when); our water is not safe; our air is often full of poisons - and little has been done to fix the problems. Most Americans are already sick, and getting sicker. We lead the world in % of patients suffering from debilitating chronic diseases - and that's not even counting returning war vets.

Fear however isn't a negative thing, not always...fear that breeds sensible action is good...

The question is, are we being sensible about our views of this plague...do we feel we can create safety while bringing the sick back home. I don't know...can we? do we know enough about the disease to give it a shot? From what I have read, it seems we do, however, what I read may not be the whole story.

Fear that pulls people out of their apathy, and motivates action - yes, that's good. Fear that leads to greater awareness - check. Fear that motivates learning - check. Fear that leads to thinking and reevaluation - check.

But fear that drives the herd into the corral - big bad.

I know more than most members about how bad this is - from the virus itself to the dangers of its spread - but I'm not sweating. True, I got over the fear part years ago, and I'm watcha call "different," so maybe I'm not understanding this process. ....Help me out?

edit on 3/8/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fargoth

Why don't one of those brave countries I hear so much about heal him then?

They're lining up, actually, including Germany and Britain.

Personally, I'm glad the US government stepped up to the plate when Samaritan's Purse and SIM asked for their help. Something I'd expect.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   

and dont forget Israel,, i here Mount Siani Hospital aint too shaby,, in there research Dept.
or the Israel Hospital Equivilant,,,

any other brilliant minds from the far East,,,?

Russia ,, Russia very astute medical doctors,,Nobel Prize,, Doctors were are they ?

are they conferencing with Atlanta???

come on people,, hurry , hurry,,,

21 days.

because somewhere in this world some one has the answer,, might be a child prodigy,,,a woman in high school,,or a desert boy ,,who just wants to heal.

where is that one person,?
edit on 8/3/2014 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   

I'm confident they'd do a bang up job

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   

so has Britian announced that ALL CAB DRIVERS MUST REPORT instances of any Passangers who Vomit in there Cabs.??

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Oh yes, there's a lot of kicking and complaining, as usual, but often when push comes to shove we do the right thing.

And we have in this case. My thoughts are they will be able to contain the bacteria...... but helping him medically is quite another matter. Maybe at least they can ease his suffering. And perhaps help him too. I think they are giving him the blood of a guy whose body has formed antibodies to it. Let's hope it helps. If so, we could be on the way to a cure or a vaccine.

www.npr.org...
edit on 8/3/2014 by angeldoll because: added link

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: BobAthome

and Rental Cars,,,re: Vomit.

it will give the FBI something to do for a change.

u know,, follow up ,,at a National Level.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow
Fear that pulls people out of their apathy, and motivates action - yes, that's good. Fear that leads to greater awareness - check. Fear that motivates learning - check. Fear that leads to thinking and reevaluation - check.

I know more than most members about how bad this is - from the virus itself to the dangers of its spread - but I'm not sweating. True, I got over the fear part years ago, and I'm watcha call "different," so maybe I'm not understanding this process. ....Help me out?

The ignorance that produces the kind of fear you describe is difficult to resolve.

How clear is anything anymore?

Our governments lie. Our politicians lie. Our businesses lie. Our media lies. Hell, even our scientists lie.

Finding 'truth' takes real work....and even then the 'truth' we find may be a lie.

In terms of Ebola, even I notice a real change in how this disease was described in the literature ten or more years ago from what I'm seeing represented by the media and government sources today. I realize you see the current public fear as the kind of leverage the government needs to deploy oppressive policies, but what I now see is a constant reassurance that there is little or nothing to fear.

If anything, an absence of fear may very well be the precise reason this crisis has become the problem it is now.

Doctors Without Borders (MSF) issued warnings as far back as March 1 that the Ebola outbreaks in Guinea were reaching epidemic proportions but at the time the World Health Organization (WHO) refuted MSF claims that they were dealing with a serious outbreak. As of March, MSF had recorded 122 Ebola infections in Guinea, 80 of those resulted in death including 11 healthcare workers. WHO had refrained from calling the Ebola cases in Guinea “epidemic” because they seemingly did not want to cause alarm. WHO spokesman Gregory Hartl said at a March news conference in Geneva:

“We must be careful with how words are used… for now what we see are sporadic cases, we cannot call it an epidemic.”

Meanwhile, the general director of MSF Switzerland, Bruno Jochum disagreed with the WHO’s statements and reiterated his organization’s concern of the Ebola outbreak in March citing what MSF had observed early on in Guinea was different from past outbreaks.

“The situation deserves our full attention and should be taken very seriously by the number of cases in different parts of the country in such a short period of time.”

WHO has now reversed its opinion and is now reporting the outbreak is out of control. At a recent meeting, Margaret Chan of the World Health Organization announced a $100 million plan to combat the epidemic and was quoted as saying:

“This outbreak is moving faster than our efforts to control it. If the situation continues to deteriorate, the consequences can be catastrophic in terms of lost lives but also severe socioeconomic disruption and a high risk of spread to other countries.”

Source.

Maybe the World Health Organization could have used a little fear back in March.

Are you wrong about what you assert? I don't know. Am I wrong? I don't know either.

But I will not be so quick to condemn 'fear' in an environment where the truth is routinely a casualty of agenda.

Fear may very well be the thing that keeps people alive, imo.

Still love ya, sofi.

edit on 3-8-2014 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
You and your neighbor should grab the ol' websters and try to find the differences between brave and stupid.

Edit: these people volunteered knowing the dangers, the rest of us did not.
edit on 3-8-2014 by NotBob because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: BobAthome

...somewhere in this world some one has the answer,, might be a child prodigy,,,a woman in high school,,or a desert boy ,,who just wants to heal.

where is that one person,?

Thanks for posting. S&
...sorry I'm so slow. I usually don't shoot from the hip, but try to take time to think about things. Hate twitter, facebook, although I do enjoy the occasional good one-liner. Anyway -

Good thinking, good question. ....Too bad all the big boys are lining up for the funding - high profile guys usually push out the little guy who has the answer. But things are definitely cooking.

PS. How's cabreton? [Did I say that right?]

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   

its fine, bye, and hows yerself?

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I think we do have a right to feel fearful under this circumstance, just because stupid small mistakes happen that can go bad very quick. I also think it is sensible to bring him back to be with his family and the medical facilities that can be provided here. The difference between my fear and these other people going crazy is that I educated myself on the matter at hand, not just listened to the scary part and started screaming before understanding. The mass social media bandwagon is just too tempting for most people not to ignorantly close their eyes and jump on. Scaring the herd of sheep....it's just so easy to do these days. Ignorance is alive and prospering in America.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

I agree with you up until the food thing. Europeans are eating food 10x safer than we here in America are. Our food is absolute poison here.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: loam

originally posted by: soficrow

Our governments lie. Our politicians lie. Our businesses lie. Our media lies. Hell, even our scientists lie.

Finding 'truth' takes real work....and even then the 'truth' we find may be a lie.

Jeez loam, I keep trying to finish up, log out and chill and then you go and dump a load like this on me. I want to stop thinking! .....Oh well. Off the top of my head....

[Just to be clear - you DO recognize I think we're in a helluva pickle, right? I just think it's ...complicated, and not amenable to simple solutions.] That said -

You're absolutely right. Despite what the New Agers and liberal psychologists say, you can't trust anyone. Except yourself. Funny thing is, most other cultures know this - and many think Americans are simple, stupid, naive if not ignorant, and gullible. Is that totally true? I don't think so, just sayin' many do. But I do think there is a depth and richness of consciousness lacking here. On topic, other people from other places would not be surprised or feel betrayed that everyone lies. They think you should know not to walk out into the marketplace -world- believing everything you're told. They think you have to assess, evaluate, determine and keep collecting more and more information and doing it all again. Over and over. Many also think you should take every edge and opportunity you can, that it's not just okay to take advantage, but expected and required. And in fact, that IS the capitalist way. Cutthroat, predatory, exploitative. Just like our governments, politicians, businesses, media and scientists. 'Cuz they follow the capitalist path. Else they wouldn't be successful. At the same time, many also believe it's possible to build a better world. For everyone. And the philosopher-thinkers determined long ago that cooperation built on foundations of awareness, knowledge and trust is the only way to go. Go figure.

Could it be that America -and Americans- are just growing up? Passing through painful adolescence into a greater maturity? Coming to recognize that it really is damned complicated? That we really do have to get way past the simple slogans, headlines and tweets and dig deep in the dirt for the real stuff?

I hope so. 'Cuz it's gotta happen.

PS. The rest will have to wait. Still love you too.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: BobAthome

its fine, bye, and hows yerself?

Revised: How's cabreton bye? ....Sorry, never was fluent, forget what little I did know. Anyways, I be fine but the house is a mess.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join