It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Collapse at Gatwick causes Ebola scare.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Not trying to cause fear - just posting this, so people can be vigilant and cool headed.

EDIT: I should add this....

www.bbc.co.uk...

She's apparently tested negative for the virus.... edited my title to [possible] ebola victim....
edit on 3-8-2014 by mr-lizard because: (no reason given)

www.mirror.co.uk...

Obviously this is a tabloid, but out of all the UK tabloids, the Mirror isn't so bad.

Airport staff tonight told of their fears of an Ebola outbreak after a passenger from Sierra Leone collapsed and died as she got off a plane at Gatwick.

Workers said they were terrified the virus could spread globally through the busy international hub from the West African country which is in the grip of the deadly epidemic.

The woman, said to be 72, became ill on the gangway after she left a Gambia Bird jet with 128 passengers on board. She died in hospital.

What do we make of this then?

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Department of Health: elderly woman who died shortly after arriving at Gatwick Airport from West Africa has tested negative for #Ebola virus

would they be telling us the truth ?????????????????????

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: mr-lizard

The article states that the test given on the dead woman came back negative for Ebola. What concerns me is that flights coming out of infected countries are still landing in major metropolitan airports.

I just don't get the sense that the "powers" are taking this whole thing very seriously.

link   

The Department for Health said the test on the woman, who landed at Gatwick Airport on Saturday, came back negative on Sunday afternoon.

BBC

link   

originally posted by: bellagirl
Department of Health: elderly woman who died shortly after arriving at Gatwick Airport from West Africa has tested negative for #Ebola virus

would they be telling us the truth ?????????????????????

Funnily enough I just edited my post and was thinking exactly the same thing. - Is this scaremongering or just misreporting??

Thanks for the reply.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I am curious to know how ill she appeared at the time of boarding or while in flight... if she died shortly after getting off the plane, it is very concerning that it doesn't sound like special precautions were taken. (Even if this wasn't Ebola...)

link   

The article in the link you provided did not confirm she had ebola.

But, it's good to put out info when found to remind people, this is real.

Des

link   
There could be a lot of conditions that could cause that to happen. There was no testing done yet and that should be done to find out if she did have it. Keeping the workers quarantined might not be a bad idea to lessen the chances of spreading whatever she has. It shouldn't take long to do a test for Ebola, maybe a day or two.

Edit, I see someone did post that it probably wasn't Ebola. Seems a little too quick to me.
edit on 3-8-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Aye indeed. In reply to everyone, I've tried to edit my post with the most recent information.

But still, better to be quick and wrong, than correct and too slow.

Peace.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

If she tested negative, then it's not possible for ebola to be the cause. So there is really no reason to even have ebola in the title.

And no, it's not better to be quick and wrong. It's better to be right or not say anything at all. Putting out bad information doesn't help anyone.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Apparently damage control is now in full swing trying to avert full scale panic. I simply don't trust anything coming out of any government spokesperson or agency, They don't have a great record of telling the truth, now do they?

How ever I do trust the new info coming out of the World Health Organization that paints a much more serious picture.

www.newsmax.com... &utm_campaign=widgetphase1
edit on 3-8-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: mr-lizard
Is this scaremongering or just misreporting??

Scaremongering. It's not misreporting. The Mirror's title is "Ebola terror at Gatwick as passenger collapses and dies getting off Sierra Leone flight". I'm afraid your title is the one that is misreporting. The Mirror didn't report that she had ebola. In fact, they said the test was negative.

At around 11pm on Sunday, the Department of Health said that tests for the deadly Ebola virus on the woman who died at Gatwick had proved negative.

www.mirror.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: VegHead
I am curious to know how ill she appeared at the time of boarding or while in flight... if she died shortly after getting off the plane, it is very concerning that it doesn't sound like special precautions were taken. (Even if this wasn't Ebola...)

She showed no signs of illness in flight. It's in the article. She probably had a heart attack or something.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: VegHead

At 72 it may have been heart or stroke related in which case she may very well been in perfect health.

I understand the airports staffs fears.
No i dont think ebola could cause a epidemic in the UK but we should close flights off to west africa as it does put our airport staff under risk.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
There could be a lot of conditions that could cause that to happen. There was no testing done yet and that should be done to find out if she did have it. Keeping the workers quarantined might not be a bad idea to lessen the chances of spreading whatever she has. It shouldn't take long to do a test for Ebola, maybe a day or two.

Edit, I see someone did post that it probably wasn't Ebola. Seems a little too quick to me.

There is a ELISA test for ebola which is pretty quick.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
if she had Ebola or not the true cause needs to be announced asap
and well if a Whitehall spokesman told me the sky was blue i would still lookout the window

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Destinyone
But, it's good to put out info when found to remind people, this is real.

She didn't have ebola. How does this remind people that "this is real"? What's real?

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: VegHead

She showed no signs of illness in flight. It's in the article. She probably had a heart attack or something.

I didn't see that in the article -thanks for pointing it out.

If she had no symptoms at all and just collapsed, then - yeah, stroke or heartattack is a good possibility. And, actually, if she was totally symptom-free, then testing her for ebola was a extra measure of precaution (probably to calm fears... if there wasn't such high public fears I don't see why they would test someone with no symptoms....)

Thanks again for clarifying. I don't know why I missed reading that. I need more coffee.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Strange. This source reports the following:

The woman, said to be 72, became ill on the gangway after she left a Gambia Bird jet with 128 passengers on board. She died in hospital on Saturday.

Speaking of the horrific moment the passenger collapsed, the shocked staff member added: “The woman was sweating buckets and vomiting.

“Paramedics arrived to try and help her. The next thing everybody was there… emergency crews, airfield operations, even immigration.

“They closed down the jet bridge and put the aircraft into quarantine.

“They took everyone’s details, even the guy who fuels the aircraft.”

The plane carrying the woman came from Freetown in Sierra Leone – a country with the highest number of victims from the disease.

It stopped at Banjul in The Gambia before landing in Gatwick at 8.15am on Saturday after a five-hour flight.

Public Health England tried to allay fears of an Ebola ­breakout in Britain.

It said the woman showed no ­symptoms during the flight.

Link.

It's also premature to assert she didn't have Ebola because of a single negative test.

That is often the case.

Even Brantley, Sawyer, & Nshamdze all tested negative on their first tests.

False-Negative Results of PCR Assay with Plasma of Patients with Severe Viral Hemorrhagic Fever
edit on 3-8-2014 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
There was a scare like this in Hong Kong, I believe on Wednesday.

It''ll probably be happening more and more often now.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join