It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plates, pins and screws oh my

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
i was on my bike(bicycle) when a 81 year old man hit me as i was crossing the street in the cross walk with the walk signal giving me the right of way. i was going to starbucks, about 5 mins on a bike from my house. the man hit me so hard he knocked me out of my shoes and did this to my hand:

after my operation:

i was wondering if anyone here has had similar injurys and what there recovery was like and any tips?

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Yeah, 5 screws and a plate in my ankle. Was trying double back-flips off low diving board. Had had a few too many beers. One foot slipped and the other foot bent so far on the board, my toes touched my shin. (thinking about it, i anyone's toes could touch their shin without being completely removed from the bones, so maybe that didnt happen exactly) Felt like a bad sprain but decided to get it checked out anyway.

2 years later, hurts when I run. I could run from the cops if I had to, though. Would be sore for only a few days.
edit on 3-8-2014 by thirdcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
they told me 6-8 weeks in this cast, and about 4 weeks of physical therapy. if you dont mind saying how old were you when that happened to you?

i cant imagine how bad that hurt

a reply to: thirdcoast

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Ouch! Even with those pins and screws, the bone alignment does not look right. I have had pins in my knee and healed pretty well. Wishing you all the best. Pain is not fun.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Admit it, you did that damage when you thumped the 81 year old man didn't you!

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: penroc3
they told me 6-8 weeks in this cast, and about 4 weeks of physical therapy. if you dont mind saying how old were you when that happened to you?

i cant imagine how bad that hurt

2 years ago, I was 21. They said I wouldn't be able to run without it hurting, and I would get arthritis earlier than most in my ankle. So I said 'screw therapy'. Didn't hurt to bad, like I said just a bad sprained ankle. Didn't know I broke bones and tore ligaments.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
if you talking about the4th metacarpal there was a little piece of bone that was too small to reattach but the dr said it will grow back

@voidhawk lol, note to self hondas are very hard on the body

a reply to: aboutface

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   
That's disgusting, what's wrong with you? Cut your damn fingernails! Lol

Hope you get well soon x

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3
I have a plate in my wrist and seven screws going down into my wrist bones. This is my drawing hand, and my occupation is art.

(yes, I actually make a living in art.)

i was told I wouldn't be able to use my hand again, but I didn't listen.

I took up knitting to get my hand back.
I have full range back, everything works like it's supposed to, and since I knit socks, I have Christmas presents that people actually like.

edit on 3-8-2014 by TheCounselor because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
You should thank god it was only your hand. That metal may give you problems later, sometimes it is good to get it removed a year or so after if it gives you problems.

Eighty year old people usually drive slow, how did he catch you on your bicycle?

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   
i was 80% threw the cross walk and he tried to cut in front of me, i was coming down the main road and he was turning on the side street, he clipped my front tire and that flipped me into his car.

a reply to: rickymouse

@funkadeliaaaa thats my moms hand holding up the print out the dr gave me.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I have a 10" plate and 8 screws in my right tibia (motocross race wreck) from 1999. Took about 8 months before I was 100% healed. If I walk more than five miles or so in a day, it gets a little sore but not too bad. I also broke my right thumb in 2007 bad enough to need a couple of pins. They were removed after the cast came off six weeks later. It has never been as strong as it was before, but it doesn't stop me from playing guitar poorly (but I am a better player now than I was before). I had a buddy with a hand injury and his xrays looked a lot like yours. He recovered totally.

My 2 cents says take it as easy as you can to avoid further injury until the doc gives you the okay. Get well soon!

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 03:17 AM
link   
On an added note, sometimes plates aren't so bad- I added 20 feet to my golf swing.

I wonder if a lot of doctors downplay the usability of a part post surgery, so if it's not 100 percent as it used to be, we're not too upset.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Thanks guys. Doctors seem to always low ball results so when its better then expected they can say...see you did good because I'm such a great doc. Lol

But my doc was great

a reply to: TheCounselor

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   

I have a Titanium plate holding my skull together after an unfortunate head on car accident in the 90s , it took about 10 years to regain feeling in my forehead but other than that I don't really have any problems with it.

After I left hospital my friend asked me to stick my fingers in the back of the TV to see if we could get satellite telly ...Oh how we laughed

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Artificial knee, plate screws in the right forearm.

Ibupropfen keeps the worst of the pain at bay.

Good luck and well wishes on your recovery!

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Artificial knee, plate screws in the right forearm.

Ibupropfen keeps the worst of the pain at bay.

Good luck and well wishes on your recovery!

If you're able, marijuana. Dunno, if you've tried it for pain yet.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Ouch! I'm glad that you were not seriously hurt! Some people just should not be driving.

Total left hip replacement, titanium. Recovery period was about 3 months, then back on my feet, walking pain free. The physical therapy was about the same, 3 months. There's some nerve damage too, it's not as bad as it was right after the surgery, but still damaged.

Wishing you a speedy and easy recovery!

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
i live in NY so i would never do anything against the law, and they gave me a ton of MSCONTIN (morphine) and lyrica

but thc and its cousins are a god send.

@Jenny its very reassuring that every one seems to be happy more or less with there operations

new topics

top topics

join