It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola Has Been in the US Before and was Successfully Contained

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Ebola is nothing new to the US. There was an Ebola outbreak in Reston, Virginia in 1989. It was contained to a batch of monkeys that were imported for medical research. Some of this was the basis for the movie "Outbreak".

Reston Virus - Wikipedia

Reston's Link to Ebola Nearly 25 Years Later

What surprised me was the NBC News last Friday night actually down played the risk of an outbreak from treating this doctor in the US instead of hyping the minimal risk involved.

edit on 3-8-2014 by JIMC5499 because: typo

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
In monkeys not humans

Roger Barrette found the Reston Ebola virus—the only one of five Ebola species of that does not seem to cause disease in humans

Link

also see

However mutation is always possible as with anything.
edit on 3-8-2014 by Staroth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

honestly thats why I'm so F#%&!n scared!!! the media ALWAYS plays stuff up for drama.

"OMG THE HOUSE FLIES IN 2014 ARE GOING TO BE SO BAD ITS GOING TO BE UNBEARABLE!!! Coming up after the break, "IS THIS A PLAGUE FROM GOD!""

but now they are actually downplaying it all and keeping a very cool calm collective head' on this one. wtf mates?

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

What surprised me was the NBC News last Friday night actually down played the risk of an outbreak from treating this doctor in the US instead of hyping the minimal risk involved.

When the MSM says not to worry, that's when you should worry.

When the MSM says to worry, then that's just business as usual, keeping the slaves on the plantation and working hard.

Problem for them is constantly inciting worry without inciting chaos and the blood running in the streets, maybe their own, that a panic will engender is often a fine line.

In any event, no one, NO ONE, on the teevee knows a damn thing. They're just reading a script. Might as well be reading Shakespeare, at least that's enlightening in its own way. The news is 100% co-opted and antithetical to anything remotely resembling truth, count on it.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I bet the current Ebola virus has mutated a lot since then, it will be a totally different beast.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I find it interesting that this strain is only 60% fatal which is pretty low for Ebola. The frightening part of people surviving is that men that survive can infect women (or men) through their semen up to 7 WEEKS AFTER THEIR RECOVERY.

One of the reason's Ebola was, in the past, self-limiting was that the virus had a short incubation period and had such a high mortality rate that it wasn't able to spread un-detected.

This new strain seems to be 'designed' to 'remedy' the self-limiting nature of the virus.

US bio-weapon lab at the center of the hot zone - just a coincidence I'm sure.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

There are five types of Ebola that can kill humans. Ebola Reston was discovered to only kill monkeys, though.

Not quite the same.

But at the time, it was a huge concern too for those that knew about it.

edit on 3-8-2014 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I feel I am becoming immune to fear mongering such as ebola. I'm not saying it is not spreading, just not enough to have 100 threads on it. Yawn.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
it is not the media that we should be worried about but the CDC and the US federal government. I heard a report which the CDC stated there has not been an outbreak of Ebola on US soil before. That in itself is a lie, and I knew about the Reston strain, and it was just a hairs breath of taking out DC.

top topics

join