It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Islamic State grabs Iraqi dam, oilfield in victory over Kurds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
www.reuters.com...

(Reuters) - Islamic State fighters seized control of Iraq's biggest dam, an oilfield and three more towns on Sunday after inflicting their first major defeat on Kurdish forces since sweeping through the region in June.

Capture of the Mosul Dam after an offensive of barely 24 hours could give the Sunni militants the ability to flood major Iraqi cities or withhold water from farms, sharply raising the stakes in their bid to topple Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki's Shi'ite-led government.

Pretty amazing how the group who changes their name more times than Prince continues to make great strides in Iraq. Even the Kurds are losing to them now.

IS is a product of western invasion and intervention of Iraq back in 2003 and continues to benefit from western intervention in the Middle East to this day.

Foreign policy is a joke. Ron Paul 2012... oh wait.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Well, this is bad.

It seems the Peshmerga pulled out without a fight. Hopefully, it was just a strategic manoeuvre, and that they come back with more firepower and soldiers, to wipe the floor with IS.

Thanks for the thread.

S N' F.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
and why would the Kurd's give a shiite opps shiiiit about ability to flood major Iraqi cities or withhold water from farms,,,,

key word IRAQI cities and farms.?

where were the Iraqi Army???,, defending this VERY, VERY, stratigic point, ????
no they were Kurds.

u cant have Mercinaries/Janisaries? others defend what is yours as an

Iraqi,,general???

big fail.
edit on 8/3/2014 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills
I personally have a place in my heart for Kurds, they truly are a lovely people.
One was in my high school class and had a beautiful energy about him.
They're strong, and loyal to their friend and family and are really a light of hope in that desperate region.
Long live Kurdistan!

top topics

join