It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kiev Deploys WMDs Against Eastern Ukraine

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Was waiting to see if this got posted but as I've not seen it yet here it is. Ukraine’s Kiev-based regime has deployed OTR-21 Tochka ballistic missiles also known as SS-21 “Scarabs,” against the people of eastern Ukraine. Regardless of what the article title says I am not sure this qualifies as a WMD or not but it certainly sounds like it.

Kiev Deploys WMDs Against Eastern Ukraine

Ukraine’s Kiev-based regime has deployed OTR-21 Tochka ballistic missiles also known as SS-21 “Scarabs,” against the people of eastern Ukraine. The missiles measure 6.4 meters in length and carry warheads of up to 454 kg, making them without a doubt a weapon of mass destruction (WMD). Their use was revealed by a CNN report released just as US President Barack Obama announced that the US and EU would be issuing more sanctions against Russia.

From the CNN article:

There were reports that Ukraine's government in the past 48 hours used short-range ballistic missiles against the rebels, three U.S. officials told CNN.

The weapons have a range of about 50 miles (80 kilometers) and pack up to 1,000-pound (454-kilogram) warheads. If the reports are accurate, they are the most deadly missiles used in the conflict to date.
CNN: U.S., EU hit Russia with more sanctions as Ukraine fighting continues

Certainly the US has nothing to gain by disclosing the details of Kiev’s use of WMDs against its own people. It was similar allegations the United States used itself as a pretext to invade and occupy Iraq for nearly a decade, and attempted to do so again in Syria. In Libya, merely using warplanes against militants was deemed a crime against humanity by NATO paving way for a devastating air campaign coupled with heavily armed militants backed by NATO cash and logistics on the ground.

If the sheer hypocrisy and transparent evil that is being perpetrated on Ukraine by the west isn't apparent by now then I don't really know what to say.

Just a side note for our American members. If we sanction this activity in other countries I suspect this is also what patriots in the US can expect when the SHTF.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Wow can you say desperate!

It is amazing the power of the MSM. What those in Kiev are getting away with in East Ukraine is unbelievable!! All our media has to do is blame Putin and people buy into it.

Compare this to Syria. Assad Spent 4 years doing everything he could to fight the machine known as ISIS that we had funded and armed the entire time, while the media was screaming about him attacking civilians.

Now we are are funding Fascists in the Kiev, who are acting exactly as fascists act, that being merciless murder of civilians and all involved-- do not forget about Odessa and that little fire they orchestrated!

Hypocrisy much!

In coming Kiev support in 3....2...1...

It is fascinating how easy it was to bring back a cold war mentality to those of the west!

Thanks for the info Bassago
edit on America/ChicagoFridayAmerica/Chicago08America/Chicago831pmFriday10 by elementalgrove because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
First of all how is this a WMD? The OTR-21 is a smaller more precise weapon used on tactical targets. And it has a fragmentation warhead not high explosive. Pretty much the opposite of WMD which is a weapon that causes a large amount of casualties or damage. Also this same missle was used by the Russian in the Chechen conflicts and in Georgia and nobody complained. Now you know and knowing is half the battle.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
First of all how is this a WMD? The OTR-21 is a smaller more precise weapon used on tactical targets. And it has a fragmentation warhead not high explosive. Pretty much the opposite of WMD which is a weapon that causes a large amount of casualties or damage. Also this same missle was used by the Russian in the Chechen conflicts and in Georgia and nobody complained. Now you know and knowing is half the battle.

As I said I was still not initially convinced this was a WMD. That said here's what Wiki says:

Scarab A

The initial Scarab A entered service with the Soviet Army in 1975. It carries one of three types of warhead:

- 482 kg (1,063 lb) of conventional HE
- fragmentation (lethal radius more than 200 m (660 ft)
- nuclear
OTR-21 Tochka

That's the old version. Looks kind of like a WMD to me.

edit on 197pm5050pm102014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bassago

As I said I was still not initially convinced this was a WMD. That said here's what Wiki says:

Scarab A

The initial Scarab A entered service with the Soviet Army in 1975. It carries one of three types of warhead:

- nuclear
OTR-21 Tochka

It is still a tactical weapon. A WMD would be used agains a city or a target of that size. The Russians have used this same weapon it broke violated no treaties nor even raised and eye brow. If they were firing off SCUDS which lack any real guidance at towns and villiages (because tactical targets would be impossible to hit with those) that could be called a WMD if the warhead was large enough, although generaly the WMD lable is used for Nuclear, Biological or Chemical warheads.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Bassago

The words "WMD" are more used for political and sensational statements in today's world, than for accuracy.

From Wikipedia:

A weapon of mass destruction (WMD or WoMD) is a nuclear, radiological, biological, chemical or other weapon that can kill and bring significant harm to a large number of humans or cause great damage to man-made structures (e.g. buildings), natural structures (e.g. mountains), or the biosphere

The general public hears or sees the letters "WMD" and immediately think "Nuke" or "Chemical" weapons.

The highest amount of HE equals 0.5 kilotons, or only 2.5% of the Hiroshima nuclear bomb blast (which was 20 kilotons).

The problem lays with the words "bring significant harm to a large number of humans or cause great damage to man-made structures", as there is no clear definition of the words "Large Number" or "Great Damage"

One might consider 5 people dying a "Large Number" while someone else considers hundreds to thousands as being a "Large Number". Also, one might think that a scratch on their car is "great damage".

Beware of the use of the letters "WMD", especially when used by any news source, no mater what that source is.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Well, according to the MSM an AR-15 is a weapon of mass destruction, so pretty much everyone involved in the Ukraine is a terrorist war criminal.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I think that this is going to escalate into a major war pretty quickly. There is never a civilian that is a winner of a war, just the ones at the top.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

If they were firing off SCUDS which lack any real guidance at towns and villiages (because tactical targets would be impossible to hit with those) that could be called a WMD if the warhead was large enough, although generaly the WMD lable is used for Nuclear, Biological or Chemical warheads.

That was my thought as well. Still as Kiev and Washington is refusing to speak on what was targeted and with what that makes this at least suspicious. Considering the bombings by Kiev of civilian targets by warplanes I have little faith in their use of ballistic missiles.

Also while admittedly I do not know the real targeting accuracy of the weapons they could just be a big SCUD. From the link:

In a separate CNN video report, retired Major General James A. Marks also asserted that Ukraine had the right to defend itself, before admitting that the ballistic missiles were not “precise weapon systems”

Doesn't look good to me.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Maybe some body redefine MWD

Just keep your head low

MWD

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
considering the human body is pretty much made up entirelly of mass,,,except for the part that disappears at death,,

there all weapons of mass destruction.even an arrow, or rock.

unless im missing something.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: BobAthome

well put...

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: BobAthome

Well just hope you do not have to put up with something like this

www.aliendave.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">MWD

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   
OTR-21 has 1000 lbs warhead. Given that Russian missiles are not very accurate, it can become a WMD easily.

Better take an evasive action now or face MH-17 scenario where planes were flying over the war zone and 1 got hit by something. Only then the planes were diverted for good.

Kiev is already using WMD modes of the artillery by shelling the civilian areas indiscriminately. This is happening in any town where rebels have strong defense. Slaviansk was bombed to the ground by artillery and air. More than 1000 civilians have died as a result of such at random undirected shelling in Donbass. These civilians are not taking part in way for any side.

Poroshenko and his Junta WILL BE held responsible for these civilian killings. These civilians were not dying before the start of the ATO.

Remember one thing, Russian show the patience but they sure do take the revenge equal to 10 times the destruction inflicted.

edit on 2-8-2014 by victor7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Russia needs to solve this Ukraine problem for good.

A line should be drawn from Belarus border that connects Zhytomyr, Khmelnytsky and Kamyanets-Podilsky. West of this area should be given to Kiev Junta types. They can decide their own future from there on.

Any Nazi Junta types left in the central or eastern regions who want to migrate to western part will be encouraged.

Any assets like house or land etc. will be sold on market and proceeds sent to them in their now home and country.

Time to get rid of the stinky Nazi filth once and for all. Then they can join EU and NATO as much as they want.

Kiev and rest of Ukraine will remain with Russia as has been for centuries.
edit on 2-8-2014 by victor7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   

W.M.D ?

Weirdly Malleable Description? World Media Device? What Manner of Douchebaggery?

Conventional weapons are NOT weapons of mass destruction. Massive Ordnance Air Burst or MOAB bombs might classify that way at a push, bet generally speaking a Weapon of Mass Destruction, ought to be a city killing bomb, something which has the destructive potential to kill every living thing inside a one kilometre square area, and put lives at risk out to a distance of tens, to hundreds of kilometres. Nukes, bio weapons, and chemical weapons all fit this bill. Conventional warheads do not.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 02:33 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I agree. The keyward is also "Mass". The destruction/effect must be massive. Not large or huge, but only massive!
edit on 2-8-2014 by Kuroodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 03:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bassago

Scarab A

- nuclear
OTR-21 Tochka

It is still a tactical weapon. A WMD would be used agains a city or a target of that size. The Russians have used this same weapon it broke violated no treaties nor even raised and eye brow. If they were firing off SCUDS which lack any real guidance at towns and villiages (because tactical targets would be impossible to hit with those) that could be called a WMD if the warhead was large enough, although generaly the WMD lable is used for Nuclear, Biological or Chemical warheads.

Just like the new classifications of strategic nuclear weapons the US posesses ( still magnitudes larger than those dropped in Japan ) that have been downgraded to "conventional tactical weapons" ( so i would presume to make them much easier to use without the normal conditions and regulations ??? ) So I suppose that would excuse them from being WMD too right ?? Sounds like hyperbole and symantic to me
edit on 2-8-2014 by tippo because: spelling

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 03:18 AM
link   
a reply to: tippo

The EVIL MORONs will not understand the situation of those civilians who are being bombed................until these EVIL MONGERELs themselves are bombed with a variety of weapons with varied ratings on the explosion scale.

Btw, rebels should declare that any POWs coming from the units which were involved in the indiscriminate bombing of the civilian areas WILL BE handed over to the those people for an appropriate justice.

More than 1000 civilians have been killed mostly as a result of shelling. This has to stop right away !!

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 03:26 AM
link   

This is a mixed up woo woo world.

Israel Slaughters 1400 -1500 innocent people using large heavy military pieces, tanks, gunships, jet fighters against densely populated, mainly teenagers in Gaza.. and the US sends them more cash and support.

Kiev bombs innocent civilians in Eastern Ukraine, and uses heavy military piece like tanks, gunships, jet fighters and now weapons reaching close to the destructive potential of WMD's...and the US send them aid and support and sanctions Russia.

We haven't quite ventured down the rabbit hole...we've tripped and fallen head first into it!

edit on 2-8-2014 by MysterX because: typo

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join