It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The LORD is my Shepherd..."

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: subtopia It is literal too. You are what you eat.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

"I am what I am..."

Dear Popeye (once more, Sorry!),

"It doesn't really matter to me what people think of me."

Sorry, Opie, but you don't come off as uncaring. You will just have to
bear the stigma of being a compassionate human.

Sorry, but it's too late to be cold and heartless.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
a reply to: subtopia It is literal too. You are what you eat.

So does than mean when you eat the flesh and drink the blood of Christ you are literally a cannibal!

I have had so many Christians say this wasn't literal but you say it is, thank you, now we know.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

"We are beast of burdens to spirits. Just as the animals are beast to us."

Dear deadeye, We are beasts and we are animals.
Life on this earth is a division between plants and animals.
Not plants and animals and humans.
Are you not an animal?

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

"So yes, I am in a sense a sheep, and He is the shepherd guiding my life. And I am grateful for that."

Yes, but does that not mean that "God helps those that help themselves"?

Your mission. my mission, is to be the very best Human being that we can be.

What goal could possibly surpass the pursuit of happiness for the creatures of our world?

I cannot imagine a God that would not agree.

p.s. Thank you ketsuko for the strength of your convictions.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Diderot

Words were once seen by primitive man as things of Gods and magicians. With the weaving of words you could see the flowers bloom in dead of winter, you could feel the silky caress of water encasing flesh in the midst of the desert, you could visit strange lands and meet strange creatures never before known; you could smell the scent of a lover in absence, feel the sting of cold steel through flesh without war. Sorcery - in the mind of primitive man.

Parents can be harsh teachers at times; they spank their children, scold them for wrongs. Chickens and such were raised for the killing - and always there was expected to be loss before any slaughter. Horses seen as worthless if they were hurt, killed for it. The list can go on...

But sheep were not so, with them it was completely different. They were raised because their value was in what they produced in life, and that production was continual. Well cared for, there was always someone looking after them, watching over them and protecting them as they went on their business of foraging for their own sustenance. Each sheep had intrinsic value.

These words you read, the writer chose best the words to weave so you saw the correct picture. YOU are valuable, to the Lord he knew, in your life you have perfect value and have the ability to continually produce a good thing; the Lord he knew didn't spank and scold you nor was he a harsh teacher, the Lord he knew was always with you, ready to pick you up if you fell into a hole, ready to defend you when the predators came.

That is a beautiful thing... and it is the very same Lord I know.

In hell I met my Lord, and HE picked me up and gave me strength I never had, He saved men from that place, came there just to do that. HE taught me patiently and kindly the gifts HE had given me... and showed me I had value, in LIFE - not in death. This is the same Lord of this Psalms. I understand why Shepard. I would have used the same one... there really isn't a better visualization in life, that everyone could understand.

YOU have much value too, in life. Your value is continual, and you have been given gifts too. The Psalmist just wanted you to know a little bit, his Lord... the words he weaved, was to show you a beautiful thing.
edit on 1-8-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

"You make me laugh... and I 100% agree!"

Thanks, but are you laughing about 100% agreeing?
I was thinking about a career in stand-up comedy.
Do you think I should go for it?

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Diderot

You have an excellent career as a comedian ahead. I was laughing because I was agreeing... my mother STILL scares me. hahahaha.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Sheep are used because you can fleece a sheep again and again without killing it, just like religions do with humans. The Vatican has a whole library of ancient manuscripts that explain how to manipulate the feelings, thoughts and beliefs of one important animal, humanity upon which their men's club has preyed upon very effectively for centuries.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: subtopia

A few thousand years ago these words didn't have any negative connotations.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: OpinionatedB

A few thousand years ago these words didn't have any negative connotations.

Ahhhh tell that to the tribes that were decimated after the believers said these words on the way to take their lands.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeadSeraph

We spend billions and billions of dollars every year improving on our ability to kill each other instead of solving issues like disease or world hunger or poverty.

The world population has doubled in the last 30 years.

we evidently haven't improved our ability to kill one another effectively enough.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 01:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Diderot

We are all children of this world, but we have different Fathers.

BUT, we are first cousins.

We are all family.

I disowned nearly a quarter of my family, blood relatives, for years and years.

I have no problem at all disowning strangers who want to claim to be my "cousins" for God only knows what reason.

You are correct, however, that we have different "fathers" - even the Bible says that.

I have no urge to break bread with the Black Sheep "cousins" - they can be fed by their dad, and eat with him.

He won't be "leading them beside still waters".

edit on 2014/8/2 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Your mission. my mission, is to be the very best Human being that we can be.

What goal could possibly surpass the pursuit of happiness for the creatures of our world?

I think it likely that we may encounter difficulty in that pursuit because we are very likely to interpret the phrase "the very best human being we can be" differently.

The "creatures of this world" eat each other on a regular basis without any human intervention at all. The pursuit of happiness is a fleeting thing.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 05:05 AM
link   

"It is not what enters into the mouth that defiles the man, but what proceeds out of the mouth, this defiles the man."

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   
a reply to: nenothtu

We break bread with who God puts in our path to break bread with. You never know who we can learn something from, or what is there to be gained, or what there is for us to teach - oh you who loves to save those people around you, and seems to judge no one.
(I know, I know... shhhhh)

God's promises these days can be for anyone. Free or slave, black sheep or just sheep. Only God knows who is really His.

I agree with you about the pursuit of happiness. If I believed life was about what most consider "happiness" I would have killed myself all those years ago when Susan (a nurse and a friend) looked at me with tears running down her face and said "you know there is no cure then... right? This is for life"

Yet, today I sit and listen to beautiful waters, with a joy and a happiness second to none. Everything has the ability to teach us... everything, both good and bad... can be used for HIS good.

As you love to tell me, the beauty is in the imperfection. If you see it, how much more can your Lord, do you suppose?

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: OpinionatedB

We break bread with who God puts in our path to break bread with.

True enough, else we run the risk of being swallowed by a figurative giant fish and vomited out on the path we're meant to take anyhow.

You never know who we can learn something from, or what is there to be gained, or what there is for us to teach -

Also true enough. I've gained some of life's more profound lessons from folks who others consider "intellectually substandard". An example is a guy I met several years ago whose IQ was, I would guess, around 60... but he never let that stop him. I met him at, of all places, a college. A humble man, he always felt inferior, but I'll tell you now that I've seldom met anyone who was his superior.

There is sometimes strength to be found in weakness.

oh you who loves to save those people around you, and seems to judge no one.
(I know, I know... shhhhh)

I can't even save myself. I just try to make the parts of the world I can reach out and touch a little bit better, and realize that it's a futile effort to reach beyond my grasp and try to save the whole thing. The rest of the world will just have to look after itself. I've learned to fix what I can, and not let my reach exceed my grasp, because to expend resources uselessly is to waste them, and ultimately makes us less effective all the way around - we then no longer have the resources to expend to make what we CAN reach better.

I do try to judge no one, for they are not mine to judge, but at the same time I realize there are differences, we are not all the same, and there are those around who do not have my best interests at heart, or yours. They bear watching and countering when necessary.

God's promises these days can be for anyone. Free or slave, black sheep or just sheep. Only God knows who is really His.

Also true, which is why it's never wise to attack the person... but their ideas, which will sometimes lead to the destruction of us all, are always fair game.

I agree with you about the pursuit of happiness. If I believed life was about what most consider "happiness" I would have killed myself all those years ago when Susan (a nurse and a friend) looked at me with tears running down her face and said "you know there is no cure then... right? This is for life"

The pursuit of happiness is one thing, attaining it quite another. The pursuit animates and motivates us, where attaining it will often make us lethargic and complacent.

There is always something new to be learned or experienced just over the top of the next hill.

Yet, today I sit and listen to beautiful waters, with a joy and a happiness second to none. Everything has the ability to teach us... everything, both good and bad... can be used for HIS good.

True enough as well. Some of life's lessons are extremely negative, but they are still lessons all the same, something to be added to the catalog of wisdom, however negative they may be to experience.

As you love to tell me, the beauty is in the imperfection. If you see it, how much more can your Lord, do you suppose?

Probably a lot better than me, which is what makes me mortal, grouchy, and generally curmudgeonly. I can only see with the eye of a man, not the eyes of a god, and have to react on that basis.

edit on 2014/8/2 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   

a reply to: jmdewey60

"What that means is that God will not abandon his sheep, as it continues on in the analogy to describe what He continues to do as the good shepherd."

Dear jm, You point is well taken, but I have a problem with the first line of the psalm. I have no problem with God our Father, or God our Teacher, or God our Inspiration, but God our Shepherd puts us on the level of sheep, with no autonomy, or promise of our rightful domain upon the earth. The excellence of Humanity is no virtue to this God the Shepherd.

Diderot,

You are quite correct in your statement that the excellence of humanity is no virtue to the God of the Bible. Quite correct.

This is because no where in the Bible do you ever find any instruction for His people to glorify the excellence of humanity but only Him and His instructions as to how they are to live their lives.

We are never to glorify or praise our human qualities..but God...we are to praise 24/7.

This instruction is to show that these are a peculiar people..and not like the rest of the world..not like humanity.

Over and over you see this instruction ..in both the Olde and New Testament.

We are also told and instructed of God that His glory He will not share with another.

What you are promoting in the Humanities or Human qualities is not a Bible instruction. From whence does it come and where does it originate...from whose tradition..instruction as I know it is not of God.

What god give such an instruction Diderot. I and the rest of the readers out here would like to know from whence you get such an counterfeit instruction. I want the name of the counterfeiter ..in your instance??? By name please???

The counterfeiter who would try privily ..without many knowing it..to take Gods Glory. Please give me a name for this other religion and this other god??

My thanks to you in advance for your reply,

Orangetom
edit on 2-8-2014 by orangetom1999 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   

LOL LOL LOL, nenothtu,

Pardon me my levity at some of your posts. I do find them often Salty ..not sugary per se.

I am ok with this and enjoy reading them.

On Pursuit of Happiness. To my knowledge the Word does not teach this directly...or by that phrase.

When I went to school Pursuit of Happiness was defined as the ability to own and acquire/manage our private property.
I do not believe this is so taught in public schools today...verses the Human tradition or definition.

I also know the Bible teaches private property if you know where or how to read.

As to judging...I will judge and judge often.

Otherwise how will we ever know how to separate from the " two legged wildlife" of this world.

How will the Believers ever know when to put someone out of the body of the Church.

This requires judgment and perception ..not by the world's standards but by His standards.

I have noted that Atheists and unbelievers often use or misuse this template of not judging to censor or silence Believers who are often not well versed in the Word to counter this tradition. It ought not to be this way..but it is.

Just my .02 on this.

Keep pouring out that Salt on those around you who would be slugs,

Thanks,
Orangetom

test test pattern

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: orangetom1999

You are quite correct in your statement that the excellence of humanity is no virtue to the God of the Bible. Quite correct.

This is because no where in the Bible do you ever find any instruction for His people to glorify the excellence of humanity but only Him and His instructions as to how they are to live their lives.
Matthew 25:21
"His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!'
(2011 NIV)
Revelation 7:9
After this I looked, and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and before the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands.
(2011 NIV)
Revelation 22:14
"Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city.
(2011 NIV)
Revelation 2:7
Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.
(2011 NIV)
Revelation 14:4a
These are those who did not defile themselves with women,
(2011 NIV)
Jeremiah 2:3
Israel was holy to the LORD, the firstfruits of his harvest; all who devoured her were held guilty, and disaster overtook them,'" declares the LORD.
(2011 NIV)
edit on 2-8-2014 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join