It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The A-10 Turned Tank Buster into Storm Buster

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
The National Science Foundation is funding the re-purposing of a retired A-10 Thunderbolt II (Warthog) into a storm chaser's dream machine. It will have computer systems and sensors in place of the weapons normally found on the jet and it will "bomb" the storm clouds with mini sensor probes.
It will be able to record wind speed, pressure and movement of a storm among other things.

What aircraft currently available is better suited to this mission than the venerable A-10. Designed to specifically take damage and keep the mission going.

....the A-10 uses robust, fuel-efficient, reliable and easily maintainable motors (TF-34 for the S-3 and A-10, CF-34 in the civilian world for the CRJ etc). Additionally, the Warthog's airframe is legendarily tough, which will be key fir surviving flying through hail and lightning. It can loiter for long periods of time and it has big wings with lots of stores pylons and a generous internal volume, especially with out its Avenger cannon, for experiments and computer systems. Finally, it is a relatively simple aircraft to maintain, plus it's free!

Video showing the legendary toughness of the A-10:

www.okcfox.com...

foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I think this is a great idea, and I really hope they'll convert more of them.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
One of my favorite airplanes of all time, and I can't think of a better retirement job for it!

(post by bjarneorn removed for a manners violation)

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: bjarneorn
a reply to: Sammamishman

And what is that A-10 supposed to do ... blow up the storm.

You really are stupid enough to do that, aren't you?

Read the actual OP.

The A-10 is the perfect aircraft for this type of mission.

Tough as nails.
Lots of room for sensors and equipment once the military weapons systems are removed.

This is a beautiful example of excellent recycling.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: bjarneorn

And what is that A-10 supposed to do ... blow up the storm.

You really are stupid enough to do that, aren't you?

And you really are stupid enough to not realize you have no friggin' idea what you are talking about, aren't you? Are you capable of even reading the OP, or did you just read the title and decide to run off at the mouth without bothering?

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Huh, never noticed the A-10 and S-3 used the same engines. Thems some goodies there!

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420
Tough as nails.
Lots of room for sensors and equipment once the military weapons systems are removed.

This is a beautiful example of excellent recycling.

I doubt we need an A-10 for that, but I do agree on it being tough as nail.

What bothers me, is the fact that ... for example the Chinese, are shooting stuff up into the atmosphere to change the drought.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
cant wait to see bill paxton flying this thing in twister 2! been waiting for a sequel for ages!!!!!

in all seriousness how awesome is this... my father is gonna nerd out so hard over this. 2 things he likes. weather and planes lol.

from everything I've seen the A10 has long loiter time or long distance travel correct but not very high speed also correct?

are the low speeds going to be an issue in higher winds?

im not a pilot so remember I'm asking this question as an ignorant groundling but if i had to pick a plane that looked like the wind would toss it all about i think the a-10 would probably be my pick. am i missing something here? looks about as aerodynamic as a delivery truck lol.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Why don't they fire Aerosol missiles into a tornado or storm and disrupt it or destroy it instead of studying it.

As a totally loyal American I am sick of inaction by bald boffins who sit around and do nothing to save Americans from whether.

top topics

join