It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

iPad question/help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I have been using my moms iPad the last couple weeks. It is the one used in her class for school. I took it to upload some pics and update it. I know neither of them in the class know anything about them because they wanted me to come show them how to use the iPad when they got them. My mom said the kids just push buttons, well the screen use could say. When I turned it on there were about 50tabs open!!

Well I cleaned up what I know and updated everything! They had not updated a thing since they got it. It took forever lol. Well I told her to add Adblock when school gets back in but the one thing it does I don't understand is this...

I will have a few tabs open and if I go back and forth between the tabs they reload. Now I know on my iMac that doesn't happen nor any other computer I've used. I've never used a tablet so I'm not sure but I would think it shouldn't be doing that.

What could this be? I'm taking my iMac in next week to Apple for a diagnostic check. I can bring this if need be.

Thanks

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

Maybe they're older models? My daughter has one of the earlier generation iPads that was a 'hand-me-down' for her. I just checked, and her tabs reload. But they don't on my iPad mini. So maybe it's just some quirk with the older ones?

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Safari on the iPad used to do that, though I think it's been fixed in iOS 7. If you can't go to that OS because the iPad is too old, you probably have to change to another browser and not use Safari.

It was extremely annoying, because if you were entering text in a tab (like making a post to ATS,) and switched to another tab to look at something, you'd lose your changes.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: MojaveBurning

Maybe they're older models? My daughter has one of the earlier generation iPads that was a 'hand-me-down' for her. I just checked, and her tabs reload. But they don't on my iPad mini. So maybe it's just some quirk with the older ones?

Yea I'm not sure what model it is. I know they were bought at the beginning of the year around maybe February.

Thanks for that! At least I know it's not just me. I told my mom I'd try to figure it out if I could. They mostly use it for apps for the kids. I had to explain to her what updating it meant lol, she had no idea. I showed her where to go and how easy it was. I told her to check both iPads every week for updates. I know she likes the iPad but is very new to any kind of computer.

Also how do you like the iPad Mini compared to the bigger one? My husband and I are looking at getting an iPad in the next month or two but it's up to me. If the tabs keep reloading then I won't want one lol but if the mini is better I'd go with that.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: adjensen
Safari on the iPad used to do that, though I think it's been fixed in iOS 7. If you can't go to that OS because the iPad is too old, you probably have to change to another browser and not use Safari.

It was extremely annoying, because if you were entering text in a tab (like making a post to ATS,) and switched to another tab to look at something, you'd lose your changes.

Ahhh ok. So it was an issue. Yea it's annoying lol. My mom would not have noticed it but I did right away. I was cross posting on ATS and lost both posts due to it reloading.

I updated the OS, not sure which one this has. How do I find that out on it?

I will have to tell her to use another browser if need be.

Thanks

I found the OS info, it's 7.1.2

edit on 8/1/2014 by mblahnikluver because: Add OS info

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
It's an iPad 2. I googled the model number.

So the newer ones this issue has been corrected?

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Open the Settings app, select "General" from the left list, then select "About" in the right list, and the OS version will be about halfway down the first section.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: adjensen

Open the Settings app, select "General" from the left list, then select "About" in the right list, and the OS version will be about halfway down the first section.

Thanks I found it!

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: mblahnikluver
Also how do you like the iPad Mini compared to the bigger one? My husband and I are looking at getting an iPad in the next month or two but it's up to me. If the tabs keep reloading then I won't want one lol but if the mini is better I'd go with that.

I like the mini. I use it primarily for reading and internet browsing. There are a couple of games that I play, but not many, and it works well with that too.

If I was going to be trying to read outside a lot though, I would go with one of the other devices that's a more dedicated reader, the screen is still too shiny to read outside much.

Overall, I like it. It's small and light and fits in all my purses.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: MojaveBurning

I want it for internet browsing and photo editing. I have an iMac desktop but I don't get on it much now with my son. I can use the iPad in the same room and get things done online when need be. I try to use my phone but it's too small and doesn't work properly on many sites.

I don't read books online unless it's one I can't get so I won't be doing much book reading just internet browsing.

The iPad mini is like a regular one just smaller? So I could still use iPhoto and edit my pics there? I don't care for the camera on the iPad inside nor the video but outside it's much better. I would have thought Apple would put flash on it, unless they have in the new ones.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

I'm probably under-using my iPad, lol. I know that you can put iPhoto on it, but I do all that on my macbook so I have no idea how well it works on the mini! As far as I can tell, it's just like the bigger ones, just shrunk down, haha.

Still no flash on the iPad.
It doesn't really make sense, because so many people do use these devices as regular cameras.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: MojaveBurning

No flash? Wth Apple lol yea they did that with the iPhone then one day the added flash. So stupid and I'm a huuuuuge Apple fan but I still dislike some of what they do.

I remember when Mavericks took over my iMac. I freaked out. It just said software update so I clicked ok mot knowing it was all new software! I don't like it esp what they did to iPhoto. I have issues with it sometimes but I've learned to deal with it.

top topics

join