It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists in Scotland Have Created a Working Tractor Beam

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 05:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Crakeur

Haven't the Australians already done that?

(I'm assuming you were referencing Scotty visiting the glass factory in STIV:TVH, but really, I'm sure I read somewhere the Aussies made a working transporter than transported a light molecule from point A to point B)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Damn...

What's funny is that I remember that episode now that you pointed it out.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Cool, but no matter, no sound... which is energy waves moving through matter... *as has been said ...but its the net...EVERYTHING has been said. So no pullee in spacey.

And as far as the tech in Star Trek, yeah, there was that episode referenced, but the big dish on the lower front that looks like RADAR was supposed to be a "repulsar/tractor beam" to scatter debris from their path... so it could move stuff away or pull stuff in.

Embarrassed to have even more Pwnage... pity me

edit on 8/2/2014 by Baddogma because: my phones fault ... though i'm on a laptop

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma

Cool, but no matter, no sound... which is energy waves moving through matter... *as has been said ...but its the net...EVERYTHING has been said. So no pullee in spacey.

And as far as the tech in Star Trek, yeah, there was that episode referenced, but the big dish on the lower front that looks like RADAR was supposed to be a "repulsar/tractor beam" to scatter debris from their path... so it could move stuff away or pull stuff in.

Embarrassed to have even more Pwnage... pity me

Unfortunately, the navigation deflector on the Constitution-class starships generated a low-power deflector shield to protect the ship in flight. I do not believe they were used (or were capable of being used) as a tractor beam that could "pull", though they were able to both push and to deflect other forms of energy.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob

I'm working off pure, analog memory here... I thought the deflector shield also had 'attractor' capability, too.

At least that's what Gene told me... been a long time though.

*Hey it's the internet... if I say I knew Gene Roddenberry, then who's to say I didn't?

Except everyone... AND me... 'cause I didn't... I did read it in an old book that compiled all the episodes and had a condensed Federation 'encyclopedia galactica' in it... but I cede to my betters.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 05:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma
a reply to: EvillerBob

I'm working off pure, analog memory here... I thought the deflector shield also had 'attractor' capability, too.

Let's face it, the navigational deflector could do whatever the writers needed it to do to make the episode work

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

That's all very well but i don't see it working in space(A vacuum or pretty dam close) given the distinct fact that sound waves do not have a medium in which to propagate. That being said this is very cool indeed!

edit on 3-8-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Well I think that is really cool since I'm Scottish as well! They have gone a long way past a twin axel Massey Ferguson...lol

Saw some video's with Michael Tellinger talking about and demonstrating the use of sound to levitate objects. So with sound you can make objects float, move and now pull!

So maybe the Annunaki Sound Portals found in South Africa is not so far fetched after all!

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
No good in space.
no air so no sound.

it will have limeted use

untill they make a powrful one.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook
This is way cool, ATS!!! Scientists in Scotland have created a Tractor Beam! What's probably the most surprising is that Scientists use "Sound" not Light to achieve the "pull" effect of the Tractor Beam.

The Dundee tractor beam is not entirely dissimilar from those in “Star Wars” and “Star Trek,” in that it draws an object toward it without making physical contact. The device works by taking advantage of an acoustic wave’s natural push effect, called radiation pressure. (Photons also exert radiation pressure, which is part of the reason comet tails always point away from the sun.) What the Dundee team was able to demonstrate was an example of negative radiation pressure, otherwise known as pull. According to Christine Démoré, a senior research fellow at the Institute for Medical Science and Technology, at Dundee, and a co-author of the paper, one of the team’s main reasons for staging the experiment was to show how easily it could be done. “It’s a relatively simple concept, but it’s just obscured by complex math,” she told me. “By shaping a beam of energy so that it goes around an object in some way, hitting it in the back, it’s possible to then pull the object instead of push it.”

Wow!............just WOW!! Think of the implications here.....think of what this will do for the tow industry....What does ATS say?

www.newyorker.com...

Soon we will figure out antigravity and gravity manipulation.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   
If this can be made powerful enough you could put one on Space Station and pull stuff into space! Could also use it to pull orbital debris into the atmosphere to burn up.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join