It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three day ceasefire falls apart as Hamas accused of firing rockets and capturing Israeli soldier

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   
The proposed three day ceasefire, of which was in effect for only 2-4 hours, ceased after Hamas allegedly fired 8 rockets, while also capturing an Israeli soldier.

Israel resumed fire after alleging that Hamas broke the ceasefire through firing 8 rockets, while attacking soldiers during an operation to destroy a tunnel. One soldier was presumed captured in the attack. According to the BBC, Hamas accused Israel of using tank fire and shelling against Palestinians during the ceasefire, instead.

Israel had informed the UN that the three day ceasefire was no longer in effect, before firing on Gaza. According to the Palestinian Health Ministry, many citizens of whom returned home during the ceasefire, are unable to escape due to the heavy Israeli shelling:

Gaza's health ministry was calling for immediate international assistance on Friday to evacuate thousands of civilians trapped under heavy Israeli bombardment in Rafah, where at least 40 people have already been killed and more than 150 injured.

A five-kilometre stretch of road between Salah Al-Eddin street and Al Najjar Hospital is under intense and indiscriminate artillery fire, ambulances are unable to reach the wounded, and thousands of civilians are trapped in their homes, the ministry said.

"We cannot reach the civilians to evacuate them, the wounded to provide medical care, or the dead to retrieve their bodies," it said.

www.smh.com.au...

My opinion on the matter? I'm not sure who broke the ceasefire (as i am not prepared to go believing everything announced by the IDF or Israel), but i consider the continuing destruction of tunnels, during a ceasefire, a violation thereof.
edit on 1-8-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

Doesn't matter any more, both sides are just as bad as each other.

Anyone taking sides here is either ignorant or has an agenda.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   
It appears that Israeli soldiers happened across Hamas fighters, during the attempted destruction of tunnels:

IDF confirms to CNN Israeli soldier captured after an encounter with militants. IDF soldiers were dismantling tunnel when militants emerged

www.bbc.com...

The above incident apparently led to the firing of the 8 rockets, which led to an Israeli response, and the collapse of the ceasefire.

Looks like an unfortunate incident, to be honest. Obviously somewhat expected, considering Israel's persistence in destroying tunnels during ceasefires.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   

better to destroy the tunnels then the people.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777

better to destroy the tunnels then the people.

Well they're doing both, aren't they?

Not only have they continued to destroy tunnels during a ceasefire (thus leading to this unfortunate set of circumstances), they have now resumed the seemingly indiscriminate shelling of regions in Gaza, causing the deaths of dozens of people.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I don't see how anyone can support the Israeli bombardment after reading this thread here where BIBI is secretly taped admitting to manipulating the situation:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   
According to this report it was Israel that broke the cease fire.
Truce crumbles as 40 killed in Gaza, rockets hit Israel

Some two hours after the truce went into effect, Israeli tanks and artillery opened fire in the southern Rafah area, and a local hospital said 40 people were killed. The Israeli military had no immediate comment but media reports said the shelling began after Hamas fighters exchanged fire with Israeli soldiers on a mission to destroy infiltration tunnels.

In case people didn't know this during a cease fire neither side is allowed to take any aggressive actions and that includes destroying tunnels.
Ceasefire

A ceasefire (or truce) is a temporary stoppage of a war in which each side agrees with the other to suspend aggressive actions. Ceasefires may be declared as part of a formal treaty, but they have also been called as part of an informal understanding between opposing forces. An armistice is a formal agreement to end fighting.

So once again Israel is the one that really broke the cease fire but Hamas will take the blame for it like usual.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   

I can't say I'm surprised.

I'm not exactly sure if this latest ceasefire could have achieved anything, both sides would be chomping at the bit the whole time waiting to for the deadline to arrive so they can resume hostilities.

What disturbs me is that has escalated to something more than just a territorial dispute-both sides are itching to kill each other for the sake of killing, the reasons behind this conflict are disappearing into a fog of hatred.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: AlphaHawk

Well, that kinda is like taking sides! given that one side is much bigger than the other.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I hope it escalates.

time to make some tough decisions in the world, the way things are going we're walking deeper into darkness.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   
so destroying the tunnels they use to attack from is considered hostile? what if Israel discovered a roadside bomb planted by hamas, would they be allowed to diffuse it or would that be considered an aggressive act as well? in my opinion the tunnels are the same as a roadside bomb.

you cannot deny that every missile hamas launches toward israel is potentially targeting school children.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

Ah. No.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07
so destroying the tunnels they use to attack from is considered hostile? what if Israel discovered a roadside bomb planted by hamas, would they be allowed to diffuse it or would that be considered an aggressive act as well? in my opinion the tunnels are the same as a roadside bomb.

you cannot deny that every missile hamas launches toward israel is potentially targeting school children.

Destroying tunnels is a military tactic...Israel is destroying tunnels during a ceasefire...meaning that technically, the ceasefire was already breached before it started, due to the continued aggressive actions of Israel.

So yes, the destruction of tunnels is a hostile action. Doubly so during a ceasefire - when all parties are meant to halt any and all aggressive military actions.

Also, you cannot deny that every airstrike or shell, launched at Gaza, is potentially targeting school children. Indeed, hundreds of children have lost their lives as a result of Israeli military action.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Cease fire is a Hebrew word that means " re-load ". Of course there were rockets fired...question is by whom?? Of course there was a IDF soldier kidnapped ( insert wink wink here ) Of course it was Hamas that broke the "re-load". Does anyone think Israel actually gives a shat about these people in Gaza? How can one beleive anything that is said by the Israeli Government & the IDF.

Where does Hamas get all these rockets they supposedly shoot at Israel? Are they homemade? Are they simply ficticious explosions blamed on a Hamas rocket? IMHO...Israel is behind the rocket attacks..if in fact there's any rockets shot off at all. Am I the only one that's wondering where all the "video footage of rocket attacks are" video of the damage versus just a narrative descibing it. Any body want to play a game of Gaza. It's easy....you throw a rock at me & I unload on you with the arsenal that's in my gun vault. Then I come to your home.(after Ive killed you) And raise it with a bulldozer, then force your family to live like refugee's eking out a living and eating anything they can find. Yep, that's how you play Israel & Gaza.

I said that to provoke thought at the sheer pain & suffering the people of Palestine are enduring.....and they aint eradicated yet. To my friend "Gabby" I understand now why you are a proud Palestinian. I completely understand. Much love to you & yours.
edit on 1-8-2014 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   

No military actions are allowed during a ceasefire what part of that is hard to understand? If they found a bomb they could just as easily go around it and leave it alone for a later time when there is no ceasefire.

And you can apply your logic and say that every shell and missile from Israel is targeting civilians.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010
So you are saying destroying a roadside bomb would be a breach of the cease fire? What about fueling up their tucks or serving breakfast in the mess hall? both are actions of the military, both breaches of the cease fire as no military action allowed.

I don't pretend to know who is right and who is wrong in this whole mess, but I dont personally feel that blowing up tunnels would be a breach of the cease fire.

And my logic is right on, hamas send rockets up willy nilly, every single one is fired towards civilians

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: AlphaHawk

Agree first sentence, disagree with second. The israelis were demolishing a tunnel, and were engaged by Hamas, (at least we are told it was Hamas) that's when the soldier was taken, presumably prisoner. The ceasefire was on humanitarian grounds because of the mass killings of innocent civilians. No matter what then, neither HAMAS or the IDF are innocent civilians.
edit on 1-8-2014 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

A ceasefire means no military actions, destroying the tunnels is a military action.

Yeah but Israel's missiles are actually killing Palestinian children.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
The main thing I was noticing here is that there were a bunch of people that returned to Gaza during the cease-fire (I would presume it's to check on families and friends, retrieve belongings, and such)... the effect of ending the cease-fire early is to maximize the civilian casualties... trapping civilians who would otherwise not be there.

You knoe, if someone was trying to practice ethnic cleansing, that could be a pretty good way to go.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Exactly,
A perfect analogy.
Hamas breaks truce for what, the seventh time.
It's not taking sides it is the truth.
Hamas needs to go because even after the last tunnel is demolished, they will still launch rockets. Maybe Isreal should give Gaza back to Egypt and let Sisi police it turning up every neighborhood for Hamas and Muslim Brotherhood. He seems to have quieted down the MB in Egypt, there are no rockets falling on him and they cant tunnel past the Sinai.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join