It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RIP Dr. Klaus Schmidt, Gobekli Tepe Archaeologist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 04:38 AM
link   
I updated a very old thread of mine, but I don't see it on the list, but I thought many of you would like to know.

"Very sad to read this news.

The head of excavation and preservation at Gobekli Tepe has passed away.

He died of a heart attack while swimming in Germany at 61 years old... way too young.

While myself and some other armchair followers of Gobekli Tepes progress never really liked the whole "world's first temple" thing, he was a great archaeologist, and seemed to dedicate his life to understanding this truly mysterious site.

Rest In Peace"

www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.dainst.org...
www.exoriente.org...
www.dainst.org...
edit on 1-8-2014 by butterflyowl because: typos

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 06:14 AM
link   
wait isnt that the fish from american dad?

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Well, The temple will now fade back into obscurity, historians and archaeologists can breathe a sigh of relief that he cant question their timeline anymore

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: HomerinNC
Well, The temple will now fade back into obscurity, historians and archaeologists can breathe a sigh of relief that he cant question their timeline anymore

No the timeline has already by adjusted and it's being excavated by the DAI a MOST determined group, his number 2 will take over or another highly place archaeologist will be brought in, however I'm not sure who that might be.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
what is the new adjusted timeline?
a reply to: Hanslune

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: butterflyowl
what is the new adjusted timeline?

That stone working for structures got moved way back to GT. That Social organization (the ability to gather enough people to built something that big and complex) was also moved way back also, and the creation of elaborate religious processes has a large ? mark by it now, previously it had been held that the AE and Sumerians started up large scale organized religion but GT hints that it may have been much earlier (however it is hard to tell as GT has no writing).

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Double post

edit on 3-8-2014 by funkadeliaaaa because:

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Is he the one who came up with the chicken bone theory?
Legend RIP

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: funkadeliaaaa
Is he the one who came up with the chicken bone theory?
Legend RIP

Hmmm what was that?

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: butterflyowl

Isn't that the character name of Kevin Bacon in the newer xmen movie?

Yes it is...en.wikipedia.org...:_First_Class

Kevin Bacon played Klaus Schmidt in xmen, first class. I thought that name sounded familiar.

edit on 8/4/2014 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Im sorry it seem i have made a mistake. I was thinking it was another place in Peru. Nevermind. RIP Klause Schmidt
edit on 4-8-2014 by funkadeliaaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
May he rest in peace within the eternal kingdom, his archeological data and shares are appreciated... God Bless he and his family at loss.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ophiuchus 13
May he rest in peace within the eternal kingdom, his archeological data and shares are appreciated... God Bless he and his family at loss.

Yep he did something that is rare, he changed what we understand about the history and made a radical change to our understanding of the past.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Much is subjective data who is really the most objective is another story. I understand your point however...

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I wonder if he finally figured out too much about the place.

Last I read it was still upwards of 90% not excavated.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: BridgebyaFountain

The last I read it was only at 5% excavated there another 20 years of work on a site of that importance. As noted earlier the DAI is noted for extremely thorough - if slow work. Of course such percentages are guesses it might get more complex as they dig further.

new topics

top topics

join