It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Benghazi declared ‘Islamic emirate’ by Libyan militants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Ansar al-Sharia, the terrorist group responsible for the 2012 attacks on the US consulate, has declared the Libyan city of Benghazi an Islamic Emirate, after allegedly seizing control. The claims are disputed by Khalifa Haftar, a retired army general, who says that the National Libyan Army still retains control of the city, despite the withdrawal of its troops from strategic positions.

While there are disputes regarding the legitimacy of both stories, it is obvious that the situation is still a very bad one. Islamist militants have been active in the country since the revolution that brought down Gaddafi, and they are constantly gaining in power.

I think it is safe to say that the USA, and its allies, have royally screwed up in the Middle-East and Africa. I mean, how much further damage does the USA and its allies want to do to the regions? First, an Islamic caliphate, and now an alleged emirate. Both established by terrorists as a result of international incompetence and meddling.

As for Libya, they should never have killed Gaddafi. Libya has turned from a great and stable African state, to a miserable and unstable one.

english.alarabiya.net...
rt.com...

edit on 1-8-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

I heartily agree. Not much more to add its like watching dominoes fall. S n' F

A great shadow is rising.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital

I think it is safe to say that the USA, and its allies, have royally screwed up in the Middle-East and Africa. I mean, how much further damage does the USA and its allies want to do to the regions? First, an Islamic caliphate, and now an alleged emirate. Both established by terrorists as a result of international incompetence and meddling.

As for Libya, they should never have killed Gaddafi. Libya has turned from a great and stable African state, to a miserable and unstable one.

And yes many lament the tragic passing of several "strong men" in the area as their absence only demonstrated that folks over there are lunatics. Those folks must be governed apparently with mass graves, disappearances in the night, chemical weapons and well you name it! Oh for the good old days!

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Well that was a successful foreign policy in Libya, wasn't it?

Too bad Qaddafi is dead. We could re-install him or something. The people would probably celebrate the possibility of going back to what the world was told was so horrible. Compared to daily life they see now? How bad was Qaddafi?

The Caliphate is forming and North Africa was a key part of the last two. Why shouldn't it be for this one as well? Egypt isn't playing ball, but the game is still in it's early phase too.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   
The U.S. will reap what it sows. The disruptions to the Middle East are giving them enough rope to hang US, not themselves.

Humans can't handle most things these days, it's all too big and complex anymore. All these complex systems interacting all the time, not to mention the logistics of it all. No one can seem to keep their country running the way they are supposed to it seems.

"Everything is Broken" by Kenny Wayne Shepherd

Broken bottles, broken plates,
Broken switches, broken gates,
Broken dishes, broken parts,
Streets are filled with broken hearts.
Broken words never meant to be spoken,

Everything is broken

Seems like every time you stop and turn around
Something else just hit the ground

Broken cutters, broken saws,
Broken buckles, broken laws,
Broken bodies, broken bones,
Broken voices on broken phones
Take a deep breath, feel like you're chokin',

Everything is broken

edit on 1-8-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: typo

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: MrCynic

Yea wow tell that to Anwar Sadat.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

That would be hard to do after an offshoot of the Muslim Brotherhood assassinated Anwar Sadat in October of 1981.

Similar in allegiance to these guys:

Ansar al Sharia Ally A Key Figure in Benghazi Security Failures

The article notes their affinity for the Muslim Brotherhood. That group whose name keeps popping up in the oddest of places and Egypt is currently working hard to erase from Egyptian society by execution among other methods.

Imagine the mess if Egypt hadn't successfully staged a counter-coup to take their nation back from this same group?

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrCynic

That would be hard to do after an offshoot of the Muslim Brotherhood assassinated Anwar Sadat in October of 1981.

Amazing! Yea that was my point. None of these other "leaders" that supposedly kept a lid on things had to worry about this.....why? Sadam, Kaddafi...do you suppose it was because they were so kind?

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
hey, did obama let the only guy they caught from benghazi, go yet?

haven't heard about him for a while.

when hillary is elected, she will fix it all up for sure!

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   

I don't know? I just watch the world going crazy in so many different ways at about the same time and wonder if this is really all a bad dream I'll wake up from and laugh about being too extreme to really happen some day.

It's not a dream though, is it? It's not even a nightmare. This really is happening, huh?

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: MrCynic

Yes it is.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   

SnF

What, exactly, DID the US accomplish in Libya?

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

I guess they halted Gaddafi's plans of introducing the Gold Dinar...

I also recall that in the very same week of Gaddafi's death, the news was reporting about the oil companies going into the state to help 'secure' the oil fields, and increase the wealth of Libya...

Was it worth it though, to support a revolution against a dictator who actually ensured the stability and progression of his state? I would say no. Especially when looking at the current situation.

In the end, the allies lost everything they were wanting to gain in overthrowing Gaddafi.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

You know, if I were a conspiracy theorist, I'd think that there was an element within the US government that would purposefully do something like this.

top topics

join