It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Entire Herd Of Camels Walk Through The Eye Of A Needle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   
What can you create with cobwebs, dust, and sand? If you said a mess... That makes two of us.

I was surfing around the net and ran across the website listed below and I had to stop and take it all in.

Apparently there is a very gifted man who can do more than make a mess with those items... He is not only making a good living off of them, he is amazing people with the artwork he can create with them as well.

About that herd of camels???

Holy cow... Camel!!! That is tiny! It's a real needle and real sculptures. Meet Willard Wigan:
www.willard-wigan.com...

This guy's work is amazing IMO. I ran across an old article discussing his artwork, how he got started in it and how he goes I about creating these minuscule works of art.

www.bitrebels.com...

This is officially the tiniest artwork I’ve ever seen. Even with these pictures, which are magnified, it’s hard to see the incredible details on each one. Willard Wigan, who is 55-years-old, started making small sculptures when he was only 5. Since he has dyslexia and other learning disabilities, he was mocked in school as a child, and he turned to his art for inspiration.

I really liked the fact that he took some insanely negative experiences and used them to better himself. Most of us are all too aware that immense beauty can bloom from the deepest pain. This is just proof of that!

Each one of these sculptures is inside the eye of a needle. They are so small that Willard has to go into a meditative state to slow his heartbeat, and he works between each pulse when his hand is completely still and steady. His art can only be viewed with a microscope, and each one is sculpted with grains of sand, dust fibers, cobwebs or even a piece of hair from an insect. Each one of these sculptures is so light it can be lifted with an eyelash.

I imagine that is takes quite a feat of self control to be able to go into such a meditative state... Not to mention the patience he must have had to learn as well. For someone to make a sculpture so tiny that it can be lifted with an eyelash just leaves me in awe.

The average price for each piece he creates is about $80,000. Elton John and Prince Charles are just two examples of people who collect his work. I read on this thread, from 2007, that while he was working on an Alice in Wonderland one day, his phone rang. When he answered the phone he sighed, and when he did that, he accidentally inhaled Alice. This is one of the most amazing things I’ve ever seen. These must be the smallest sculptures in the world, don’t you think? All I can say is wow!

$80,000 a piece!! I wonder if those who made fun of him in school are now rethinking their cruelty with a triple shot of jealousy on the side? What better way to get revenge than to become successful for doing something that you love??

I also had to literally lol about him accidentally inhaling Alice!!!

It made me wonder what kind of tiny graveyard there must be in his carpet and vacuum cleaner bag!

Here are a few more pieces of his work:

The Obamas

Peter Pan

Star Wars

Astronaut

Harry Potter

The Olympic Torch

I dug a bit and found a short video about this as well:

I am a firm believer that everyone has a talent. Even if that talent is kind of odd.

edit on 8/1/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Digging around further, I found a few more pieces Willard created that I wanted to add to the thread.

The Last Supper

Evolution

The Seasons

Statue Of Liberty/Wizard Of Oz

Sparta... lol

The Incredible Hulk

Ship On A Diamond

The Beatles - Yellow Submarine

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Those are amazing. I am a painter. I consider 9x12 inches to be a small format. I can't imagine how this guy does this.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 04:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
Those are amazing. I am a painter. I consider 9x12 inches to be a small format. I can't imagine how this guy does this.

I didn't know you were a painter?? Have you shared any of it here? If you have, I'd be thankful for a point in the right direction to find it. I love looking at the art of the members here. I used to draw all the time, but haven't done it in forever and a day.

I can't imagine how this guy does it either. It makes me feel almost claustrophobic just looking at it. I'm not sure why either. I think maybe it's because adding all the tiny details would be so tedious that you would hardly be able to breath while doing it.

It's fascinating though for sure. I like that you can actually see the tiny feet and robes under the table in the pic of the one about the Last Supper! That's crazy!

I would like to see some of your paintings one day if you ever post them. I know some people like to keep that stuff private though, so I would understand if you didn't want to share them. That is unless you have posted some already and I just missed it??

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 05:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe

originally posted by: skunkape23

I didn't know you were a painter?? Have you shared any of it here? If you have, I'd be thankful for a point in the right direction to find it. I love looking at the art of the members here. I used to draw all the time, but haven't done it in forever and a day.

I can't imagine how this guy does it either. It makes me feel almost claustrophobic just looking at it. I'm not sure why either. I think maybe it's because adding all the tiny details would be so tedious that you would hardly be able to breath while doing it.

It's fascinating though for sure. I like that you can actually see the tiny feet and robes under the table in the pic of the one about the Last Supper! That's crazy!

I would like to see some of your paintings one day if you ever post them. I know some people like to keep that stuff private though, so I would understand if you didn't want to share them. That is unless you have posted some already and I just missed it??

I've posted a few things here. Here's a photobucket link with some of my stuff.
s1295.photobucket.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 05:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Amazing doesn't do it justice, I would love to see his work area and see his focus while working. We were both born in the same year, that of the most beautiful chevrolet, and I can't even thread a needle. My sweetheart is a huge quilter can't wait to show her these imagines. Nice find young lady.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 05:57 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

You are great at painting!!! All of them are really good, but I absolutely love this one...

i1295.photobucket.com...

It's my kind of quirky. I really like it.

originally posted by: MarlinGrace
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Amazing doesn't do it justice, I would love to see his work area and see his focus while working. We were both born in the same year, that of the most beautiful chevrolet, and I can't even thread a needle. My sweetheart is a huge quilter can't wait to show her these imagines. Nice find young lady.

Thanks Marlin... I am glad you enjoyed them.
I would almost be willing to bet that this artist has some OCD.
You'd really have to.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 06:16 AM
link   
thanks for posting this i never seen this artist work before and its amazing.

also skunkape wonderful painting very nice stuff

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I firmly believe humans are capable of so much more than we have ever achieved as individuals, and as a species, thus far. So when I come across things like this and this. It just reinforces my conviction, there is more to us, than we ourselves comprehend at this point in time.
edit on 8/1/2014 by Klassified because: Add link

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

I couldn't agree more Klass. Your post reminded me of that new movie coming out... Lucy. I think that's the name of it. The woman (from what I can gather) has tapped into the full power of her mind and becomes unstoppable. If we were able to do that in real life, I have to wonder what the world would be like?

new topics

top topics

join