It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP tells Obama to ignore congress one day after suing him for ignoring Congress.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I swear you cannot make this up.

On Wednesday, House Republicans sued President Obama for acting on his own without approval from Congress. On Thursday, House Republicans told President Obama he should act on his own to fix the border crisis

In a statement following the decision to abruptly scrap a vote on the measure, Boehner and his fellow GOP leaders tried to put the onus back on Obama, saying the president had the power to act unilaterally, "without the need for congressional action," to respond to the crisis.

There are numerous steps the president can and should be taking right now, without the need for congressional action, to secure our borders and ensure these children are returned swiftly and safely to their countries."

Link

Looks like the House GOP is in total disarray over this border crisis. One day after suing President Obama, Boehner and his fellow GOP members are urging Obama to act on his own to fix the border crisis.

I wonder if Obama acts on his own again, will the GOP sue him again?

This all comes after the House GOP failed to pass their own legislation which would have provided $659 million to the US Border. It certainly looks like the GOP has boxed itself in by trying to pander to their rational conservative members and trying to pander to the far right fringe at the same time.

Is it Nancy Pelosis's fault? Is it Obama's fault?

The GOP thinks it's Obama's fault that they are incompetent at doing their job.

House GOP Conference Chairwoman Cathy McMorris Rodgers (Wash.) attempted to blame the debacle on Obama, saying Republicans didn’t trust him enough to enforce the law, so they came out in opposition to their own leadership’s proposal.

Amazing is all I have to say.

At least it seems like one member of the House sees the whole picture.

Rep. Devin Nunes, who would have supported the legislation, said there is a group of GOP lawmakers who aren’t interested in governing. “You just had a lot of members who just don’t want to vote for anything,” the California Republican said. “We have to get to 218 votes or you can’t pass anything.”

POLITICO

Incompetence outs itself again ladies and gentlemen!

+21 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: muse7

There is a material difference in a president's duty to enforce existing immigration law and a president's unlawful decision to unilaterally change healthcare law.

Cute phrasing, but hardly accurate.

edit on 31-7-2014 by loam because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   

It's the EXECUTIVE branch's job to enforce the immigration laws.

Congress just makes the laws.

Government 101.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Is it Nancy Pelosis's fault? Is it Obama's fault?

The GOP thinks it's Obama's fault that they are incompetent at doing their job.

What difference does it make?

The Senate won't agree with any House legislation anyway.

Let alone Obama signing anything that resembles Republican.

On top of that, why haven't Democrats been enforcing this law ?
William Wilberforce Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act of 2008

edit on Jul-31-2014 by xuenchen because:

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

It's the EXECUTIVE branch's job to enforce the immigration laws.

Congress just makes the laws.

Government 101.

“This is a piece of legislation we’re very proud to sign,” a White House spokesman, Tony Fratto, told reporters on Dec. 23, 2008, as the president put his pen to the William Wilberforce Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act of 2008, named for a 19th-century British abolitionist. “This program has been very effective around the world in trying to stop trafficking in persons.”

Now the legislation, enacted quietly during the transition to the Obama administration, is at the root of the potentially calamitous flow of unaccompanied minors to the nation’s southern border.

Originally pushed by a bipartisan coalition of lawmakers as well as by evangelical groups to combat sex trafficking, the bill gave substantial new protections to children entering the country alone who were not from Mexico or Canada by prohibiting them from being quickly sent back to their country of origin.

Link

Aside from being the president that has deported the most people in recent history, it certainly looks as if the administration is following current immigration laws that were signed into law by a Republican.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Absolutely stunning, Muse! Bumped for irony alone.

With those few words (and John's supposed to be a
lawyer, right?) the Speaker just nullified the suit.
The minute that statement went into the Congressional
Broken Record a second year pre-law stud could get the
damned thing thrown out.

I'm really glad I threw the TV out using a conventional
method of carrying it out to the dumpster; because if
I had seen this happen on CSpan it'd have been windowed.

"At least kabuki has ornate costumery." Robby Noel, 2008

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Yup.

Too bad the Obama Administration has been selectively ignoring most of that law.

All according to the Master Plan I would say.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Boehner just needs to change his party affiliation - I'm just going to refer to him ans Captain Flapjack from here on out.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Geez, on Politico, you can't even get a comment in hardly. It is going crazy over this.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Basically he told Obama to do his job and follow the Constitution.

There are numerous steps the president can and should be taking right now, without the need for congressional action, to secure our borders and ensure these children are returned swiftly and safely to their countries.

The title, though from your Wire source, is totally disingenuous.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

And doesn't current immigration law state that immigrants surrendering themselves at the border must be taken into custody and processed? Seems to me that current immigration law is being enforced. If people aren't happy with the current refugee crisis, then they need to appeal to Congress to change the law.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Muse, let me suggest a correction to your headline - instead of reading "GOP tells Obama to ignore congress one day after suing him for ignoring Congress," it should read "GOP tells Obama to ignore congress one day after suing him for being forced to bypass an obstructionist Congress."

If - IF - Congress has actually done its job, it would never have come to this point. Even now Congress continues to DO NOTHING. It has not put anything on Obama's desk for him to sign. By obstructing everything, they then have the gall to even contemplate something as ridiculous as a lawsuit over him actually doing his job.

Boehner is the leader of the worst Congress this nation has EVER seen.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: loam

And doesn't current immigration law state that immigrants surrendering themselves at the border must be taken into custody and processed? Seems to me that current immigration law is being enforced. If people aren't happy with the current refugee crisis, then they need to appeal to Congress to change the law.
That's a pretty simplistic way of looking at it. If the president would allow the border patrol to do their job, then those people wouldn't be entering into the country in the first place. Also, in many cases, "being processed" in this instance is bringing them to a hanger or some other building, holding them temporarily, then releasing them into the general population. Children are being released without being fingerprinted and their destinations are unknown. So there's no way to know if they are being used/abused in any way and no way to follow up.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

I don't disagree with your last sentence, but it's missing "the worst president EVER. He is not enforcing current laws. What makes you think, even if he signs a new law, that he'll enforce that one?

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Damnit! I hate to do this, but Boehner's comments do appear to be taken out of context.

Obama does have have the power to act without congressional approval, considering existing law, and without the need for executive action.

But in Obama's defense it does appear that he is doing just that.

So the Right is making a big stink for political purposes and the Left is making a stink about this story for the same purposes.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Well thank god congress did pass the veterans bill.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
For those that are citing 'law'

TITLE I--COMBATING INTERNATIONAL TRAFFICKING IN PERSONS

Sec. 103. Prevention and prosecution of trafficking in foreign countries

Has the current US goverment tried to 'prevent' or 'prosecute' ?

NO.

‘(i) Additional Measures To Prevent and Deter Trafficking- The President shall establish and carry out programs to prevent and deter trafficking in persons, including--

There it is again.

PREVENT, and DETER.

The only thing the current government has done is tell us us me accept them, and shipped them all over the country.

www.state.gov...

As to the topic.

Obama has been IGNORING congress ever since his party lost control of the House.

Absolutely true you can't make this stuff up.

After YEARS of saying a LAW doesn't matter they turn around and cite a 'law' signed in to existence by someone the LEFT absolutely HATES.

edit on 31-7-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer
Muse, let me suggest a correction to your headline - instead of reading "GOP tells Obama to ignore congress one day after suing him for ignoring Congress," it should read "GOP tells Obama to ignore congress one day after suing him for being forced to bypass an obstructionist Congress."

If - IF - Congress has actually done its job, it would never have come to this point. Even now Congress continues to DO NOTHING. It has not put anything on Obama's desk for him to sign. By obstructing everything, they then have the gall to even contemplate something as ridiculous as a lawsuit over him actually doing his job.

Boehner is the leader of the worst Congress this nation has EVER seen.

Totally agree with you.

Republicans keep saying that Obama is the worst president ever, but what about Boehner? This HAS to be the worst speaker of the house in the history of the Republic.

The guy can't even bring his own party together to vote for a piece of legislation that they themselves came up with! How pathetic is that?

Everyone outside of the GOP echo chamber is watching the GOP destroy itself in total amusement. It's being destroyed by the monster that they invited into their party.

But less than 24-hours later, lawmakers from Alabama and Mississippi - two bastions of the Old South - peeled away from the bill, multiple GOP lawmakers and aides. Some conservatives claimed that the legislation didn’t go far enough in preventing illegal immigration or barring President Barack Obama from giving “amnesty” to undocumented immigrants already in the country. The leadership’s whip count deteriorated as the vote loomed closer, and Republican leaders were forced into a humiliating retreat.

Link

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

careful neo.

if we actually cite all the parts of that law that Obama has selectively ignored, we might actually get to the bottom of all this recent immigration !!

The plans are getting exposed.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Bilk22

It's not a simplistic way of looking it... it's the reality version.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join