It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SEARCH for 30,000 potential 'victims' of Ebola outbreak spawned by one victim.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: BobAthome
a reply to: Irishhaf

its not panic time yet. i agree whole heart-etly,,,,

panic or no panic , starts

21 days from now.

Ok, I've seen you say this a few times today and your avatar says as much, so I'll bite....

21 days? Explain please

As for the OP - sensible precautions.

I'm not overly concerned by this Ebola outbreak really, despite the hype on ATS it is actually relatively hard to spread and in countries with modern medicine, it isn't anywhere near as fatal with survivability up to the 80% mark.

We did have a chuckle at work the other night as one of our chaps went home sick - he is from Ghana

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: stumason

The incubation period is for 2 to 21 days, is still contagious within the 21 days even though no symptoms have yet appeared.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: tinker9917

That's not what I have read - in fact, most (all?) infectious diseases aren't contagious until the patient is symptomatic...

But let's wait and see - I am not personally bothered by this, Ebola, while scary if you have it, is not really capable of spreading globally unless we all start licking each other.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: stumason
a reply to: tinker9917

That's not what I have read - in fact, most (all?) infectious diseases aren't contagious until the patient is symptomatic...

But let's wait and see - I am not personally bothered by this, Ebola, while scary if you have it, is not really capable of spreading globally unless we all start licking each other.

Not true! Can be passed by sex (semen and body secretions) BEFORE symptoms appear , going potty and not washing hands, virus germs on the doorknob etc. then touching your eyes/nose/mouth.

While the risk is relatively low, the risk is still there.

Is a Person Contagious During the Ebola Incubation Period?
Even if a person exhibits no signs or symptoms of Ebola, he or she can still spread the virus during the Ebola incubation period.

Link

I ask that you please post a reliable link saying the disease is not transmittable during the incubation period.

And, you're absolutely wrong. The cold and flu is spread for 3-4 days before you even get sick. You have spread the virus before you even know you are sick.

edit on 2-8-2014 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   

How do you feel about being sneezed upon by an Ebola carrier?

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: bbracken677

How do you feel about being sneezed upon by an Ebola carrier?

Or having unprotected sex with an HIV positive person, even though they are asymptomatic? Eh?

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Exactly...or unprotected sex with an Ebola victim. Both are nyet! Nein! allgemeinbildung!!

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: weirdguy
This was always going to happen, I will admit that it is still quite a shock to see though. By now those 30,000 people have had close contact with many others. This could get real nasty indeed.

But the original carrier can't have had close contact with all those people. How many people would he likely have come into 'prolonged' contact with?

If he had close contact with anyone it is likely to be medical staff when he was ill enough to seek help and they are most likely of spreading it if anyone does, the fact that they would be somewhat prepared lessens the chances they would contract it.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: DrHammondStoat

Ok...my question is, does a simple sneeze amount to enough body fluid to transmit the disease?

And....consider this: If only 2 of those 30k are infected by "close contact" then our contact group may have just increased to about 60,000......

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Interesting how the "30,000 potential Ebola victims" seems to be forgotten.....

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
This is my very first post (wish it were on a happier subject).
Regarding Ebola being airborne - check this out (I hope the paste works)

IMPORTANT UPDATE: The CDC has now admitted that the Ebola virus can travel through air, but they made that admission in a very sneaky and hard to find manner. The following statement is added as a footnote at the very bottom of the page:
"Casual contact is defined as a) being within approximately 3 feet or within the room or care area for a prolonged period of time while not wearing recommended personal protective equipment or having direct brief contact (e.g., shaking hands) with an EVD case while not wearing recommended personal protective equipment."
www.cdc.gov...
The implication of this statement is very, very clear: Ebola does in fact travel through the air. This is critical information and it should be highlighted in large letters on every page, but instead it is tucked away in fine print where many won't look. Given the fact that the CDC previously was running infographic campaigns claiming that Ebola does not travel through the air (we uploaded an example in this new update) this is highly irresponsible on their part.
Hat tip to The Pontiac Tribune for making us aware of this information in their article on the topic. That's some REAL journalism there. If you aren't already following these guys, be sure to follow them.
pontiactribune.com...
Note we saved a cached version of the CDC page just in case they decide to alter the text in the future. archive.today...
scgnews.com... — via StormCloudsGathering
Ebola - What You're Not Being Told [UPDATED August 13th]
There is something very, very important that the corporate media and public health officials are not telling you regarding the Ebola outbreak in west Africa.
scgnews.com

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Oiamaqt

No, it doesn't. Think about it. How long can you share a room or rooms with another person without coming into contact with something they have come into contact with? The longer you do it, the less likely you are to be able to maintain a strict distance and separation. All it takes is for them to contaminate something with infected secretions and for you to then touch it not long afterward and then touch your nose or eyes or mouth, and you are infected. It doesn't take airborne transmission, and the longer you are in close proximity casual contact, the more likely that becomes.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Ermagherd. Want to hear the BS that the widow of Patrick Sawyer (the subject of this thread who spawned this search for contacts) has to say about why her husband went to Nigeria? You're gonna laugh and cry and then throw your fist into your computer screen, it's so incredibly ridiculous. Read at your own risk.

Why Patrick Sawyer deliberately went to Nigeria

Premium Times reports that the wife of the late Patrick, Decontee Sawyer, who is a Radio Host in New York has cleared the rumours about how her husband was defiant to the law that restricted any Ebola infected person from travelling outside the country.

Decontee made it known that it was the yearning of [her] late husband to receive adequate health care which he could not get in Liberia that made him opted to travel down to Africa's most populous country, Nigeria.

Mrs Sawyer also took to her Facebook account to explain more about it. In her words: "I've read other reports in other papers (not the New York Times) about Patrick's "recklessness." I get where they're coming from, and they certainly have the right to feel the way they do. However, as Patrick's widow, I would like to shed some light on this from another perspective. One that only I, his wife, would know," she wrote.

"I knew Patrick better than anybody else (including himself). He had told me many times in the past how much he didn't trust the Liberian healthcare system. He would tell me about how a person would get checked in for one thing, and get misdiagnosed and get the wrong treatment as a result. On top of that, Patrick was a clean freak, and told me how filthy a lot of the hospitals were.

"He didn't tell me this, but I know in my heart of hearts that Patrick was determined to get to Nigeria by all means because he felt that Nigeria would be a place of refuge. He has expressed to me many times in the past that he felt passionately about helping to be a part of strengthening Liberia's healthcare system, but he knew it wasn't there yet, and he wouldn't want to take a chance with his life because a lot of people depended on him... Patrick had a passion for life, and he wouldn't have wanted his to end. So, I bet anything that he was thinking, if I could only get to Nigeria, a way more developed country than Liberia, I would be able to get some help. How ironic."

This is the same supposed "clean freak" that wanted a proper diagnosis, and when he got it, he denied it and then took a leak all over the staff trying to help him. She goes on to say:

Mrs. Sawyer however combated words of many people saying her husband deliberately brought the disease to the country by saying: "It has been reported that Patrick avoided physical contact with everyone he came across during his trip from Liberia to Nigeria. The CCTV in the airport revealed it. When he got to Nigeria, he turned himself in letting them know that he had just flown in from Liberia.

"Patrick went to Nigeria for help so that he can get properly diagnosed, and not misdiagnosed in Liberia. And if it came back that he did have Ebola, he trusted the Nigerian healthcare system a lot more than he trusted the Liberian's. His action, as off as it was, was a desperate plea for help. Patrick didn't want to die, and he thought his life would be saved in Nigeria."

Then she takes some swipes at the president of Liberia for not having a better healthcare system.

I want to puke. This guy has been documented to have evaded a quarantine, taken no measures to avoid contact with thousands of people, lied about having been exposed to ebola, and then deliberately exposed his fluids to those trying to help him, trying to get away from their quarantine of him in Nigeria.

The spin factory never stops. I'm appalled. Does this woman not know how the internet works? Does she not know that his actions were documented? Ugh. Disgusting.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: 00nunya00

Meh.

She's a grieving widow protecting her family's reputation. You can hardly blame her.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: loam

Meh.

She's a grieving widow protecting her family's reputation. You can hardly blame her.

Sure, but "protecting" her reputation by admitting she was never told anything by her husband for why he did this, yet assuming he had altruistic motivations for peeing all over his doctors and nurses. A bit different than just defending her husband; in fact, blaming Liberia for her husband's irresponsible actions and now further deaths in Nigeria caused by his actions and even further cases due to his irresponsibility.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Key point is HIS actions. Her denials, motivated by a desire to protect the reputation of her family, are far more understandable. She has young children. No mother is going to convert their father into a monster.

I even have some limited sympathy for Sawyer, though I still consider him a complete moron for his decisions. Denial can be a powerful thing. That perhaps is the most important lesson Sawyer's example teaches, imo.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Are they saying that 30,000 zombies are on the loose? If these zombies even breath on you, your good as gone. They need to do something about this before more people are infected and become a zombie. This might turn into the new AIDS scare back in the early 80's. They have the medication that will kill it, if caught in time. All the new zombies in hybernation, please contact your doctor and get the latest shots. take your brothers with you.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 05:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: cloaked4u
Are they saying that 30,000 zombies are on the loose? If these zombies even breath on you, your good as gone. They need to do something about this before more people are infected and become a zombie. This might turn into the new AIDS scare back in the early 80's. They have the medication that will kill it, if caught in time. All the new zombies in hybernation, please contact your doctor and get the latest shots. take your brothers with you.

Zoombies? WTF you on about?

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 05:42 AM
link   

If its true he pissed on the staff the scumbag needs trying for murder. Ok he may be dead but he can still go down as a killer.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

Touché, I see your point. I think she would have just been wiser to make a very short statement and leave it on an "I'm sorry for what happened" note and then laid low. I didn't know she was a radio host before this article, I kind of want to tune in now! Lol. Wonder what she does a show on? Anyone have any info or links?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join