It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SEARCH for 30,000 potential 'victims' of Ebola outbreak spawned by one victim.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Ebola: Spider's web of infection is growing as hunt continues for 30,000 'victims' of outbreak

The hunt for people in contact with deadly Ebola was dramatically escalated tonight as the risk of infection spread across the globe like a giant spider’s web.

Initially health officials wanted to trace only a few hundred passengers on two planes which had carried victim Patrick Sawyer, 40.

But – as Cabinet ministers held an emergency Cobra meeting in London – the search was widened to find up to 30,000 people who could be hosting the organism which kills 90% of sufferers.

The list includes anyone at one of four airports visited by American dad-of-three Sawyer, and those in contact with him in Nigeria’s capital Lagos, home to 17 million, where he died five days ago.

Wow.

Is there any doubt this thing is growing?

Consider for a moment how one person spawns a search for 30,000 others.

Hard to wrap my head around that.
edit on 31-7-2014 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

Good Gawd... this could quickly turn into a nightmare. International travel needs to be stopped till this is under control. Even local travel between countries on same the continent needs to be stopped.

There's no vaccine, this HAS to be gotten under control.

edit on 31-7-2014 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
This thing certainly needs watching very closely by all of us though it seems they're trying to close the door after the horse has bolted. Next thing we know is folks will look up from their screens one day because they have symptoms.
And those boarders WIDE OPEN!
edit on 31-7-2014 by Wiseupall because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I think this simply shows you how serious officals are taking this matter.

You trace back the wearabouts of infected people and make sure they are not infected as well.

This guy just so happened to visit multiple high traffic locations (airports), so instead of it being a few dozen or less to check, they must now check thousands.

I'm glad they're taking these precautions.

Not sure this indicates an escalation of anything except caution.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Naw not a huge escalation yet, just keep an eye on it and prepare.

Its still a long way away from most people and it doesn't seem to spread really fast (this has been going on a few months) its just worth watching, its not panic time yet.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

Agreed, but the example is instructive. Doesn't take much for this to quickly get out of control.

I also wonder how long it takes to locate, interview and assess 30,000 people?

Is that even possible?

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

its not panic time yet. i agree whole heart-etly,,,,

panic or no panic , starts

21 days from now.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
This was always going to happen, I will admit that it is still quite a shock to see though. By now those 30,000 people have had close contact with many others. This could get real nasty indeed.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Think we`ll find out 28 days later.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Sunwolf

according too Corbra ,, yes its real,,, 21 days,,,not 28.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

People really are freaking out about this more than needed. The reason this disease thrives so well in Africa is because its a hot, dry climate and many there are ignorant of how diseases and viruses spread. On top of that they distrust the doctors when it comes to Ebola. Not to mention funeral practices.

Once it leaves Africa we wouldn't see more than a few isolated cases. It's hindered by its method of transference combined with its lethality. It doesn't spread fast but it kills fast. So as long as victims are properly quarantined it will kill itself out quickly. Unless this undergoes a massive mutation we're not looking at another Black Plague or Spanish Flu.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: BobAthome

Just to be sure, what are you saying about 21 days? Are you referring to the incubation window?

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

I'm not sure where you got it has to be 'hot' and 'dry'?

EPIDEMIOLOGY: Occurs mainly in areas surrounding rain forests in central Africa (6) with the exception of Reston which occurs in the Phillipines

Link.

And since human to human transmission is all that is required, I'd imagine there are very few places where climate would be of much assistance.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
It's real interesting watching these ebola threads pop up, it's like watching the virus spread in real time. I might watch contagion tonight to get into the spirit of things.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Naw, it won't be an epidemic, it will be a pandemic, everyone seems to be looking for that event that will usher in Martial Law, well I have news my friends, this could possibly be THAT event, the reason is that, the government will not wait for there to be a small outbreak in the U.S. to declare EBOLA epidemic or pandemic, it is too risky to wait.

Why ? well the quick movement of people that could possibly have to be subject to quarantine would have to be stopped immediately, this will not be anything like in Africa if there is even one person with Ebola in a highly populated area, that means that by the time the symptoms have yielded an Ebola infection, this person has probably and likely come into contact with numerous others that would have to be tracked down and quarantined this is no joke.
The other thing is they are bringing the two American doctors back to the mainland, why not find a neutral island or somewhere that can be quickly fitted with a small field hospital like the military and fly in those medical professionals to the island and treat the other doctors but make it clear, the team cannot leave decontamination zone for at least 30 days then after that they can be cleared, why introduce this risk to a hospital stateside? where anything can happen and then cause a manhunt for a possible Ebola carrier?

Article on Ebola and those in contact with patients

edit on 31-7-2014 by phinubian because: Ebola

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Glad you started a thread on this Loam. I just posted this info in the Ebola patients coming to Emory Hospital in Atlanta thread.

People need to see how Ebola is possibly just one flight away from their own doorstep.

Des

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Viruses thrive in certain environments. Considering Ebola emerged in Africa it would be safe to assume that it is acclimated to that environment. Bring it somewhere cold and odds are it would die out rather quickly.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I wont lie, it scares me... but its not panic time to me...

Is it creepy to see how many people were potentially, god yes... especially since I am about to move to another country makes me wonder what I will come into contact with.

But for now I will swallow my nerves and keep getting ready.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Problem is and I heard on the radio the other day, what you say is a speculation, the doctors and professionals will not even venture that far to gamble on speculation or what Ebola would or would not do if it were in the Americas, they would quarantine regardless and because of the period of time from exposure to full blown symptoms it will not be worth the risk to even speculate on what you are saying, which seems to carelessly downplay and minimize the risk like it's a cold or something.

edit on 31-7-2014 by phinubian because: added video

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Except Africa has all kinds of climates, just as North America or Europe.

In fact, I challenge you to look at this months weather reports in Guinea, Liberia, Sierra Leone and Nigeria....then compare to Atlanta, DC or any number of other cities in Europe.

Just sayin'

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join