It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you ready for a complety self driving fully autonomous car?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Forget about self parking...I'm talking about a car that will dive you to the store, let you get out at the front doors, then go find it's own parking space.

Well that day is closer than you think...

Now here's another thought for ya... What if your car gives up on trying to find an empty parking space...will it just drive itself home, or drive round and round till it runs out of gas?

edit on 31-7-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

Here's what I don't get about this technology.

I'm assuming these are GPS guided vehicles, in order to be long range. I don't know about everyone else, but I've had GPS crap out on my phone many times. Can't imagine how this will work without significant infrastructure and redundancy.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam

Here's what I don't get about this technology.

I'm assuming these are GPS guided vehicles, in order to be long range. I don't know about everyone else, but I've had GPS crap out on my phone many times. Can't imagine how this will work without significant infrastructure and redundancy.

Yea. It's bad enough that people rely on their cars to work perfectly ALL the time and disregard that they need to change the oil, rotate tires, keep up good maintenance, and then bitch and scream when their car breaks down, or starts burning oil, shakes while driving, or just doesn't work, etc.
I can imagine it now, they will be literally sleeping while their car drives along and something goes wrong and it parks in the wrong house. Or something goes wrong and it crashes because they didn't update software or something.

But to answer your question, I think it's a combination of cameras and outside sensors alongside GPS for location. The car can probably drive fine without GPS, but it just won't know where it's going.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   
No. I distrust new technology too much to put my life in it's hands.

After it's out for years and proves it's self as safe it sure would be nice to program it and take a nap while on the 6 hour drive to Vegas...lol

And usually when I am messing with the wife on the road she always tells me...."watch the road!"
If I don't have to "watch the road.......well now. All new possibilities.

Make a self driving Winnebago so I can sleep and watch TV while on a road trip across the country.....

Would it make sandwiches too?

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   

In a word?

No.

I have absolutely no wish to be subjected to automated control of a car in which I am traveling. I am only just learning to drive a car in the normal fashion, and I am not at all prepared to hand over what control I have gained in my lessons thus far, to some glorified toaster, which will undoubtedly break down, causing me to have to shell out thousands upon thousands of pounds in order to rectify it.

But even before the advent of such madness as a robotically controlled vehicle was even posited, the main problem I had with modern cars, was two fold.

First, so complicated have modern motor cars become, that to fix one these days, one requires a diagnostic computer, because the brakes, the ignition, every electronic component you can think of, has been so over inflated in its significance, that most of the things that ruin a modern motor, are electrical faults. This makes purchasing a car made after 1995, in my opinion, a mugs game. When I buy a car, I am going to go for the oldest possible hunk of crap that I can get my hands on, something I can fix with a wrench, a hammer, and a drop or two of commons sense.

The other problem with modern cars, is that between the driver, and the road, there are several systems to isolate the driver from the physical reality of what they are doing. Who else recalls the Toyota Prius driver, who, along with several family members, hurtled to their doom because of a failure in an electronic braking system? Placing delicate computers between oneself, and the full control of the car, seems to me to be a fools errand, one which can only increase the risk of a grizzly death at the wheel.

Therefore, the idea of actually handing total control of a vehicle, containing either myself, or anyone I give two flying figs about, feels to me totally insane.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

As well as the GPRS connectivity, and the fact that there will likely be a radar unit inolved, providing a realtime image of the surroundings to the navigational computer on board the vehicle, there is also another trick that may come into play here...

singularityhub.com...

As you can see in the above link, there is a system which allows vehicles travelling behind a large goods vehicle, to find out where that vehicle is headed, and connect their vehicles on board systems, by wifi, to a computer on board the lead vehicle. At this point, any vehicle that locks on to the route taken by the truck, will be linked together with all the others, and match course and speed precisely with one another, and the lead vehicle, to create a convoy where all the cars behind the HGV are now effectively being controlled by the driver of the HGV.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Horrible idea. you think police abuse their power now?
Wait until they are given a switch that tells your autonomous car to pull over and power down until they flip the release switch telling your car its ok to start again, or worse, car hackers.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
NO. I am not ready. I'm sure the less adventurous, very lazy, & easily astonished sheeple can't wait for technology to make them even more irrelevant then they are now.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
God no, I drive a 6 speed because I actually enjoy driving… though I could see the benefits of a lot of the people who are terrible at/hate driving having this capability.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   

I think it's good. I can use an extra 45 minutes nap from home to my job. Even more useful on my way back home during the rush hours.

Car insurance would be cheaper with that technology too. Car accident?...., It's not my fault officer, arrest the robot !
edit on 31-7-2014 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Yes..
Simple answer.. But i would like/need to have the option not to own the car. More like a subscription. Monday morning A car arrives at the place of my choosing, adjustable in a short timeframe depending of the region. That car brings me to a place I decide and then goes and picks someone else up.

More like public transport in a private room and schedule. But now with all kinds of different subscription rates of luxury and waiting times. When not in use just store them in automated warehouses or let them connect to eachother to form transportation trains.

I want to choose a small car for transport to work, smokers & coffee please.. A kiddy car with cartoons to bring the kids to school. A big car with easy acces for groceries for the misses. No need to park just be available when I order. It will demand a new way of transportation and vehicle design. One that I expect to see in a sci-fi movie or developed in some Asian country.

Of course i would have my own private car for roadtrips and leisure.

There is no need to have a private car that drives on its own.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Hey! Heres a question I just thought of. Who will get the traffic tickets when stopped?

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   
No thanks .. prefer good old fashioned feet .. besides no roads out here in boonieville.

Can see it now... car hacking becomes a craze ...

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Now, will the owner have to purchase accident insurance, or will Volvo?

Maybe even the satellite company?

No technology is perfect.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
trailer a reply to: HardCorps
After driving a Honda Pilot pulling a trailer from Cocoa Beach to Tallahassee (5hours) then next day to Austin Texas 17 hours total, 2 hour spent crawling at 5mph on the interstate due to a semi accident somewhere in Missisippi) then back to Tallahassee Another 17 hours, another 2 hours of that crawling down I-10 (different wreck) last week.

Then driving to St Petersburg from Cocoa Beach yesterday with another slow ass crawl through I-275 downtown Tampa This time averaging 10 mph for 45 mins (Yay!) 3 hours one way, 3 hours back (repeat Tampa crawl)

The only thing I could think of was HURRY UP with the automated car thing!!

So the answer is YES. (Coffee and ritilin will only carry me so far.)

edit on 31-7-2014 by grubblesnert because: sp

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I think an 'auto-everything' car would probably be statistically safer. I would never own one, unless my eyesight deteriorated to the point where I considered myself an unsafe driver........... although .......... how often do people ever take themselves off the road because their sight has deteriorated?

I don't think I could trust such a car. Plus, I love driving. Now, a little comfy protective pod that a person or persons could climb in and be whisked away to their destination....... that might have merit. I hope humanity lasts long enough for such a thing.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus
keeping traffic flowing in a continuous manner safely spaced without the inattentiveness of human "control" would be safer than the craziness I saw over the past few weeks displayed by us human vehicle operators

Pod me up!
edit on 31-7-2014 by grubblesnert because: sp

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Definatley not.

Modern cars are so dull to drive these days anyway, I'll drive my vespa over the car anyday. Gets me to where I want to be quicker than a car, easier to park and maintain, and much much better fuel economy, at nearly 2 euros for just 1 litre, thats important.

Imagine the repair costs of one of these things. Also, why not just get a bus or a taxi instead of spending however much these things will cost. If you dont want to drive, whats the point in buying a vehicle with all the costs associated with it?

Seems new technology these days is mainly gimmicks, not stuff we actually need.
edit on 1-8-2014 by pennydrops because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 04:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: grubblesnert
trailer a reply to: HardCorps
After driving a Honda Pilot pulling a trailer from Cocoa Beach to Tallahassee (5hours) then next day to Austin Texas 17 hours total, 2 hour spent crawling at 5mph on the interstate due to a semi accident somewhere in Missisippi) then back to Tallahassee Another 17 hours, another 2 hours of that crawling down I-10 (different wreck) last week.

Then driving to St Petersburg from Cocoa Beach yesterday with another slow ass crawl through I-275 downtown Tampa This time averaging 10 mph for 45 mins (Yay!) 3 hours one way, 3 hours back (repeat Tampa crawl)

The only thing I could think of was HURRY UP with the automated car thing!!

So the answer is YES. (Coffee and ritilin will only carry me so far.)

Or you could get a bus, train or plane. Either that or spend a small fortune on one of these things.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 04:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

In a word?

No.

I have absolutely no wish to be subjected to automated control of a car in which I am traveling. I am only just learning to drive a car in the normal fashion, and I am not at all prepared to hand over what control I have gained in my lessons thus far, to some glorified toaster, which will undoubtedly break down, causing me to have to shell out thousands upon thousands of pounds in order to rectify it.

But even before the advent of such madness as a robotically controlled vehicle was even posited, the main problem I had with modern cars, was two fold.

First, so complicated have modern motor cars become, that to fix one these days, one requires a diagnostic computer, because the brakes, the ignition, every electronic component you can think of, has been so over inflated in its significance, that most of the things that ruin a modern motor, are electrical faults. This makes purchasing a car made after 1995, in my opinion, a mugs game. When I buy a car, I am going to go for the oldest possible hunk of crap that I can get my hands on, something I can fix with a wrench, a hammer, and a drop or two of commons sense.

The other problem with modern cars, is that between the driver, and the road, there are several systems to isolate the driver from the physical reality of what they are doing. Who else recalls the Toyota Prius driver, who, along with several family members, hurtled to their doom because of a failure in an electronic braking system? Placing delicate computers between oneself, and the full control of the car, seems to me to be a fools errand, one which can only increase the risk of a grizzly death at the wheel.

Therefore, the idea of actually handing total control of a vehicle, containing either myself, or anyone I give two flying figs about, feels to me totally insane.

Couldn't agree more.

My girlfriend has an old style white panda. She wrapped it round a tree, cost only 300 euro to fix. Most reliable car I have witnessed. Also modern cars are low to the ground, useless for mud, dirt tracks where I live. People here have either 4x4 or old cars.

If people come to visit us in a modern car, they have to park it nearly 1km away and walk uphil to get to our house. Older cars are great, much higher off the ground. Can get to our house with no issues at all.
edit on 1-8-2014 by pennydrops because: (no reason given)

<<   2 >>

join