It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liberian Official: Ebola Outbreak ‘Is Above The Control Of The National Government’

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Liberian Official: Ebola Outbreak ‘Is Above The Control Of The National Government’ - “This virus, if it is not taken care of, will be a global pandemic”
Source: CBS

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (CBS Charlotte/AP) — A Liberian health official says the Ebola outbreak is now above the control of its government.

“Our government has declared this now as a humanitarian crisis that is above the control of the national government,” Tolbert Nyenswah, Liberia’s assistant minister of health, told CBS News.

More than 700 people have died in four western African nations during the largest Ebola outbreak ever, with over 320 known cases in Liberia alone. One American died while contracting the virus in Liberia. Two other American medical missionary workers also contracted Ebola.

“This virus, if it is not taken care of, will be a global pandemic,” Nyenswah told CBS News, calling for more international aid to help treat the sick and stop the spreading of the disease.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: LrdRedhawk

Well, he's right.

The world had better wake up and get some resources down there asap.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Until it hits a major super power I don't see much of anything happening at all.....except news stories about it. This is going to cross the Mexican border into the US at some point, whether by design or accident, and when that happens the crap will hit the fan. It seems there is no real control over those that have been in contact with the infected and they are being allowed to travel however they wish.

I have always thought the end of the human race would come from something like this. It may not be Ebola in general, but this run of it is giving the world an idea on how quickly something like this can spread and kill. If it is able to mutate into an airborne or easier to transfer virus then we are going to see a lot more death before anything is able to be done.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

This disease is so dreadful in its appearance upon a person that that feature alone will help slow its spread. Many, many people will be left to die, unattended, once it settles fully upon them and they are looked on in horror. Its gruesomeness will aid its being contained. That observations say nothing, however, about the suffering of all.

(Perhaps it was best that I was not able to transmit the picture of the arm of a person infected.)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe n't see much of anything happening at all.....except news stories about it. This is going to cross the Mexican border into the US at some point

Really look at a map! Mexico is not even on the same continent as Africa were Ebola is!

It more likely to enter through your airports!

But hey blame Mexico right? Thats the in thing.
edit on 31-7-2014 by crazyewok because: to be less rude.

edit on 31-7-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: Vasa Croe n't see much of anything happening at all.....except news stories about it. This is going to cross the Mexican border into the US at some point

I know the US education systems pretty crappy and outside knwolage of the world limited.

But really look at a bloody map! Mexico is not even on the same continent as Africa were Ebola is!

It more likely to enter through your airports!

But hey blame Mexico right? Thats the in thing.

Thanks genius....I am fully aware it is not on the same continent. I am also fully aware, as I would think any educated person would be, that international flights occur and the Mexico border is allowing most anyone through right now which was my point.

This virus takes 3 weeks to manifest. You think folks in Mexico don't travel to other countries as well?

While it may be likely to enter through the airports it will also be easier to contain in that manner if it happens coming into the US...this would be the first thing they would shut down. My fear is of it infecting a large population on the border of the US while the US is allowing thousands to cross everyday....with no containment. This is where the largest threat would come from.
edit on 7/31/14 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

No offense but, did you just attack someone about their education and then go on to misspell numerous words and display horrible sentence structure?

Look it doesn't matter what you think of the poster. He is right. Viruses tend to follow the easiest paths of transmission. That's why so many are spread in third world countries.

It only makes sense that coming up from an area w sub par medical care would be the most viable route. Especially w it's incubation period.

Ease off on the hostility bud

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: LrdRedhawk

EVERYONE WATCH THIS AND LEARN THE TRUTH!!! THE VIRUS IS AIR-BORN, LIMITED BUT STILL AIR-BORN!!!
Ebola Air-born

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

No offense but, did you just attack someone about their education and then go on to misspell numerous words and display horrible sentence structure?

Its called typing on a smart phone.

And yeah it probably did come off as a bit hostile. My apologies. sitting in a hot car does little for your mood.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
How easy would it spread during flu season?

Flu season runs thru football season in the U.S and there is plenty of drinking going on during this time and we know alcohol can weaken the immune system, so would a crowded Super Bowl venue be the perfect place to spread Ebola?

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

Flu season runs thru football season in the U.S and there is plenty of drinking going on during this time and we know alcohol can weaken the immune system, so would a crowded Super Bowl venue be the perfect place to spread Ebola?

Wont spread as well as Flu is airborne Ebola not.

The risk from handling vomit and bodily fluids. Its why it normally spreads to the family and caregivers of the patient which is a big thing in Africa as due to limited hospital facility's its normally family and friends that provide care.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

Its called typing on a smart phone.

And yeah it probably did come off as a bit hostile. My apologies. sitting in a hot car does little for your mood.

I understand I'm doing the same as we speak. Lol my iPhone makes a fool of me on a regular basis

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Take a look at this:

A study conducted in 2012 showed that Ebola was able to travel between pigs and monkeys that were in separate cages and were never placed in direct contact.

Though the method of transmission in the study was not officially determined, one of the scientists involved, Dr. Gary Kobinger, from the National Microbiology Laboratory at the Public Health Agency of Canada, told BBC News that he believed that the infection was spread through large droplets that were suspended in the air. "What we suspect is happening is large droplets; they can stay in the air, but not long; they don't go far," he explained. "But they can be absorbed in the airway, and this is how the infection starts, and this is what we think, because we saw a lot of evidence in the lungs of the non-human primates that the virus got in that way."

Translation: Ebola IS an airborne virus.

Transmission of Ebola virus from pigs to non-human primates

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

The risk from handling vomit and bodily fluids. Its why it normally spreads to the family and caregivers of the patient which is a big thing in Africa as due to limited hospital facility's its normally family and friends that provide care.

I understand what you are saying, what I really want to know, is flu season the perfect time to spread Ebola since people are handling bodily fluids?

How long would it go unnoticed because of the flu season.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I usually don't tend to be panicked easily, but with the "Oktoberfest" just around the corner (starting on September 20th) this might become a huge problem here...a lot of people flying in from all around the world, mingling, drinking way too much thus vomiting etc. you get the picture. I mean the whole city will be really crowded during those two weeks. Well let's hope they will be able to contain it ASAP, since otherwise

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
A bit off topic, but if anyone here has not played the phone game called Plague Inc....this scenario is one of the things you can end the world with. Very well made game.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

well there was this little shindig,,,

any of the players,, not well??

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

or more important ,, does the virus survive in a cold enviroment ie WINTER.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: BobAthome

Not sure but it does not get that cold in Arizona and that's where the next Super Bowl is at.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Lets also not forget the African Summit coming to DC August 4-6. Would be the perfect opportunity for this to hit the US hard as I highly doubt any of the leaders will be screened so not to embarrass them in any way. What a wonderful way for a terrorist plot to unfold.....sounds like a book to me.

African Summit DC 2014

Not sure how many are coming over but probably a LOT. Watch for Ebola cases hitting DC in the next few weeks...

Looks to be 40 nations in Africa hosted here and who knows how many helpers they will bring. Now just think if a couple were infected this week and came to the US and mingled with all the folks in DC, shaking hands with everyone they meet and what not. This could be a HUGE issue.
edit on 7/31/14 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join